FIU's Wittels extends streak to 56 games

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I do not care if you play T-Ball or major league baseball....a 54 game hitting streak is impressive as all hell!

AND NOW, he is taking it to a Regional! Good luck kid, the city of Miami and FIU is proud!!:up

FIU's Wittels extends streak to 54 games

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Florida International's Garrett Wittels is taking his pursuit of the Division I hitting-streak record to the NCAA tournament.

Wittels got a hit in his 54th straight game and FIU beat Troy 14-10 on Sunday in the championship game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn., clinching a berth in the NCAA field.

"We don't want this to end," Wittels said by phone as FIU started the 18-hour bus ride back to Miami. "We're going after it every day, playing hard and swinging the bats really well."

None better than Wittels, of course.

The sophomore infielder -- who got a season-saving pitching win for FIU during the tournament -- was 2 for 6 on Sunday. He moved within four games of matching Robin Ventura's record of 58 straight games with a hit set in 1987 for Oklahoma State.

"The biggest thing is that this a team," Wittels said. "We've got so many guys stepping up every single day, someone else getting the job done."

Still, Ventura's mark -- a faraway notion a couple weeks ago -- keeps getting closer.

"I'm really not thinking about it," Wittels said. "We've got to get ready for a regional, get in there, hopefully swing the bats and have everything keep going as planned."

Just as the streak has seemed at times, with Wittels needing some late-inning heroics on occasion to keep it going, things got dicey late Sunday for FIU.

Florida International, streaking Garrett Wittels advance to NCAA tournament - ESPN

Its not impressive in T ball.

I guess not, since you only play about 10 games in t-ball and if you PLAYED 54 games of t-ball....that would make you a 10 year old ringer in a league that is usually for kids no older than 5.

thank you for pointing that out....I would have never guessed...:rolleyes:

Wet blanket here, but FIU's next opponent is Texas A&M, and I have had A&M season baseball tickets for a long, long time. Looking through FIU's schedule, they played 7 innings at Arizona State. ASU is widely considered the best team in the country. They also played Western Kentucky three times, who has a nice team this season. Other than that, they haven't played many quality opponents.

I seriously doubt that they have faced a pitcher the quality of Barret Loux, our Friday starter, and the guy we'll be throwing against them. For the season, Barret is 10-2 with 96.0 innings pitched, 126 Ks, only 32 walks and opponents are hitting .196 against him. He has four pitches that he can throw for a strike, and you don't see that in college baseball very often.

Barret is likely to be a late first round pick in this year's draft, and on top of that, his mom is really cool. My wife and I have run into her at a few road games over the years. This year she came down to our seats at Olsen Field, and gave our toddler a ball that the entire team had signed, a nice note, and a photo album with baseballs all over it.

Gotta go with the streak ending at 54!

smaller-bennyball.jpg

Last edited:
Wet blanket here, but FIU's next opponent is Texas A&M, and I have had A&M season baseball tickets for a long, long time. Looking through FIU's schedule, they played 7 innings at Arizona State. ASU is widely considered the best team in the country. They also played Western Kentucky three times, who has a nice team this season. Other than that, they haven't played many quality opponents.

I seriously doubt that they have faced a pitcher the quality of Barret Loux, our Friday starter, and the guy we'll be throwing against them. For the season, Barret is 10-2 with 96.0 innings pitched, 126 Ks, only 32 walks and opponents are hitting .196 against him. He has four pitches that he can throw for a strike, and you don't see that in college baseball very often.

Barret is likely to be a late first round pick in this year's draft, and on top of that, his mom is really cool. My wife and I have run into her at a few road games over the years. This year she came down to our seats at Olsen Field, and gave our toddler a ball that the entire team had signed, a nice note, and a photo album with baseballs all over it.

Gotta go with the streak ending at 54!

That nice her and great for you and your family, great momento to have. But regardless of the competition...to do it is a MAJOR accomplishment. Only 3 players at ANY......ANY ...level have had a streak longer than 50 games.

3 players in the HISTORY of organized baseball. Wittel, Dimaggio and Robin Ventura ....PERIOD.

I am not trying to diminish what the kid has accomplished. I am just predicting an end to the streak. As long as we win, I don't really care how many hits he gets.

Salsa, there is a thread on a popular Aggie baseball site about Coral Gables and the university that might amuse you. Then again, it might not.
TexAgs.com - A&M Baseball and Softball

I went down there for our regional appearance in 1995. Not going to make it this season though. Traveling with a 21 month old is tough.

I am not trying to diminish what the kid has accomplished. I am just predicting an end to the streak. As long as we win, I don't really care how many hits he gets.

Salsa, there is a thread on a popular Aggie baseball site about Coral Gables and the university that might amuse you. Then again, it might not.
TexAgs.com - A&M Baseball and Softball

I went down there for our regional appearance in 1995. Not going to make it this season though. Traveling with a 21 month old is tough.

I actually read it....it was pretty cool. Too bad you won't make it. They revamped A-Rod Stadium and it looks pretty nice. I coach alot 16+ and 18+ traveling teams and we have played and practiced there alot.

I guess not, since you only play about 10 games in t-ball and if you PLAYED 54 games of t-ball....that would make you a 10 year old ringer in a league that is usually for kids no older than 5.

thank you for pointing that out....I would have never guessed...:rolleyes:
I think what V was referring to was the fact that in T-ball everyone gets a hit, not necessarily the number of games they play....

Wow! Barret Loux just went 6th overall in the draft to Arizona.

did you see the kid they took in the 1st round....? The catcher/pitcher Bryce Harper? I tell you, the Nationals could be a team to deal with in about 2 years. BOTH last year's kid, Stephen Strasburg and now Bryce....WOW!!! Two LEGIT can't miss ball players. Let's see if ALL the power this kid can generate from aluminum bat translates to wood.

Are you watching the nats or the marlins tonight? Harv:)

I will be watching BOTH. Tonight is debut of Mike Stanton, the Marlins prize power hitting rookie. He hit .311 with 21 homers and 52 RBIs in 52 games in the minor leagues before being called up for this series. AND Strasburg make his debut TONIGHT.

we were still talking about "college baseball" to a certain extent...like the draft and the last two players drafted #1.

It THAT what you came in here for? LOL!

I've been checking this thread to see if the kid kept the hitting streak going or not, but I don't even think that was mentioned. You know, the hitting streak? The topic of the thread?

Sorry, I was hoping to find out. I guess I came to the wrong place.

Sandra

Last edited:
I've been checking this thread to see if the kid kept the hitting streak going or not, but I don't even think that was mentioned. You know, the hitting streak? The topic of the thread?

Sorry, I was hoping to find out. I guess I came to the wrong place.

Sandra

He did.....it is now at 56, but his team was eliminated and the streak will start again NEXT season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts