Fl Orby Install Today ! OTA Antenna Questions.

hiskid1973

Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Used to install Sky Angel years ago so I thought I'd do a self install using an unused old dish pole. Turns out I get a wacky Wedsday $125 deal for reciever and install so I bite. After a not schedule today turned into and afternoon install, he got it working before the sun disappeared. Nice signal and picture quality but the 4 ft off the ground ota antenna lost half the stations compared to my 30 ft omni directional usb powered amplfied antenna. Is there anyway I can integrate that omni directional antenna into that splitter. I have the orby and the omni directional both on floor mounted coax pass throughs. The usb powered signal amp is in back of the tv plugged into the coax input. The Orby is going into one HDMI socket. The output of the ota antenna has the ota signal amp able to be powered off or on. Any thougths on using the omni directional antenna with the orby receiver. Thanks. GBY

Just take the omni antenna coax and swap with the coax going into the Orby diplexer. No reason using their small antenna mounted low when you have a better solution.

i was looking to do that but was unsure of the output after the preamp. Not sure how the omni antenna works. It has a little circuitboard that the incoming coax attaches to and the output of that goes to the tv's coax input. You can power it on to ge the signal amplified. Is there electronics in the antenna itself that is powered ?

Got my Orby receiver today. Works fine! (SQ99/SS85) But, I see the receiver does not come with a diplexer. Gonna have to buy one.
The receiver has a built-in diplexer. You will need one for the other end of the cable to join the dish and the antenna.
Bob

i was looking to do that but was unsure of the output after the preamp. Not sure how the omni antenna works. It has a little circuitboard that the incoming coax attaches to and the output of that goes to the tv's coax input. You can power it on to ge the signal amplified. Is there electronics in the antenna itself that is powered ?

Remove the power cord from the Orby receiver. Disconnect the antenna coax and the LNBF coax from the diplexer that is installed outside at the dish and connect the coax coming out from the house directly to the LNBF port.

Bring the diplexer inside and disconnect the coax from the Orby receiver and connect to the diplexer's satellite port. Disconnect the OTA antenna coax from the TV input and connect to the diplexer's terrestrial Antenna port. Connect the Diplexer's STB (or receiver) port to the Orby receiver's Antenna / LNB port using a short coax jumper.

In the Orby receiver menu, perform an OTA scan to add the channels to the Orby channel list.

Remove the power cord from the Orby receiver. Disconnect the antenna coax and the LNBF coax from the diplexer that is installed outside at the dish and connect the coax coming out from the house directly to the LNBF port.

Bring the diplexer inside and disconnect the coax from the Orby receiver and connect to the diplexer's satellite port. Disconnect the OTA antenna coax from the TV input and connect to the diplexer's terrestrial Antenna port. Connect the Diplexer's STB (or receiver) port to the Orby receiver's Antenna / LNB port using a short coax jumper.

In the Orby receiver menu, perform an OTA scan to add the channels to the Orby channel list.
Thanks. So don't use the amplifier dongle that the omni ant coax plugs into before the tv coax connector ?

I looked up omny antenna. Seems that that is the type of antenna. What brand and model of antenna do you have? I have an Antop that has a built in amplifier with 2 tv outputs. I just put one output to my tv and the other one to the diplexor and it worked fine.

Yes, use the inline amplifier. Simply unscrew the coax from the back of the TV and instead screw it onto the diplexer terrestrial antenna port. Connect the OTA antenna to the smartpass amplifier then to the diplexer, then the diplexer to the Orby receiver, similar like is shown in the top of their install photo to the converter box.
61846UXrVHL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks. So don't use the amplifier dongle that the omni ant coax plugs into before the tv coax connector ?

Last edited:
I looked up omny antenna. Seems that that is the type of antenna. What brand and model of antenna do you have? I have an Antop that has a built in amplifier with 2 tv outputs. I just put one output to my tv and the other one to the diplexor and it worked fine.

Amazon product ASIN B07TDPMD9M
Yes, use the inline amplifier. Simply unscrew the coax from the back of the TV and instead screw it onto the diplexer terrestrial antenna port. Connect the OTA antenna to the smartpass amplifier then to the diplexer, then the diplexer to the Orby receiver, similar like is shown in the top of their install photo to the converter box.
View attachment 142227
Cool, thanks. GBY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)