Flash drive vs Maxtor or WD

james55

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Santa Paula, CA
Hello, the HD on my 1000ci is 'sometimes failing.' I suspect I'll be ordering a new 1100c before long.

I know Glorystar has listed Maxtor and Western Digital as being 'OK.' I went to Amazon and reviewed both. In general, the reviews on both were on the 'scathing' side. Like: "Don't buy - they're junk!"

My question: How about flash drives? Kingston offers a 64GB drive for around $100.00. Has anyone tried flash drives? What's the prevailing opinion(s) outside of limited capacity? I know 64GB is a far cry from 500GB - but, I think I could live with less capacity.

Any and all comments relative to my selection of an external storage device is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks ~ james

Flash drives are slow and unreliable - I started with a Kingston. I am now using a Maxtor and it works fine.
Bob

I have been using a Maxtor 500GB drive since August of last year on my GeoSatpro DVR1100C. It records 6 days a week on different channels. I have had absolutely no issues or problems with this unit. If you do go this route, make certain you use the Maxtor One Touch Plus. (There is also a One Touch model) The Plus version also has a Firewire connection. This is the one you want. I had strange problems using the One Touch.

Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts