Maxtor OneTouch 4Pus Anomaly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
This is one of those situations with too many changes at one time. I went into the advanced mode for the DVR1100c and tried to record GLC on a timer using the Maxtor OneTouch 4Plus hard drive. My first error was that I apparently have to use the "all channel" channel number rather than my "fav 1" channel number (323 vice 110). Next the DVR1100c showed a file type not recognized. I switched to a flash drive with photos and it displayed photo files OK (I didn't realize it would display photos, nice!). Back to the OneTouch but files still not recognized. I moved the Onetouch to the PC and it was OK there. Back to the DVR1100c and it was recognized this time. I suspect the OneTouch was somehow upset during the multiple master resets I did while going to the advanced mode. Has anyone else experienced any OneTouch recognition problems?

Sounds like the file indexing on the drive is corrupted.

Try performing a repair of the drive using a PC disk first aid program before using formatting software and losing your recordings.

You might back up the recordings before repair or formatting.

I set a timer yesterday for two hours and watched the program as it recorded. About an hour into the program a "saving data" message appeared on screen. The remote was frozen out so I watched what I could see of the program until the end and had to do a rear panel reset to stop the record mode losing the data. This morning I went back to the flash drive to see if it would record. The DVR wouldn't recognize the flash drive until I did a rear panel reset so I concluded that the problem is with the DVR. I switched back to the Maxtor OneTouch and after several rear panel resets it was recognized. I then tried a record and controls froze again. Later (when my wife will let me have access to the TV again) I will try going back to the GloryStar mode to see if things work there and report my findings.

Like any computer device, it is suggested to power off the receiver before swapping the USBs. The power cycle after swapping drives refreshes the receiver to reference the new drive and is quite normal if you are hot swapping USBs. Personally, I only plug and unplug with the Master Power OFF.

The receiver is locking up because the drive is not completing the file save. This file save error is resulting from a drive issue and is not a function of the receiver. Something in the drive has failed (hardware or indexing) and it might be corrected by the disk repair or a full reformat.

Thanks Brian, this morning I performed a more methodical test. I did a 5 minute timer using the flash drive and all was well. I then went to the Maxtor and still had problems so I verified the receiver is not the problem. I turned the receiver off at the rear panel and after a couple of tries got the Maxtor recognized. I then went to menu and USB and performed a complete reformat of the Maxtor. A 5 minute timer verifies that all seems to be well again. I hadn't done any recent hot swapping (before troubleshooting this problem) but am going to heed your advice and do a rear panel shutdown before any future drive swapping.

A plug for Brian, It is great to be able to get personal advice on a system that is years out of warranty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts