FLASH: No Name Based Recording on 921, 721, 501, 508, 510

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unless I'm forgetfull, isn't the 1394 port on the 921 labeled "Dishwire?" Maybe that's why we're confusing it :)

carload said:
Unless DISHwire is defined somewhere, it can mean anything they want it to. And it sounds like Dish believes it should rhyme with USB. :)

Does this mean that my 2yr old 721 with (future use) USB ports on the front and back will be used for DISHwire? Why does Dish overbuild their products with "future" enhancements that never seem to happen. Can you see car manufactures doing this? PC makers? digital Camera makers? :confused:

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just got an interesting email from Charlie...

But first here is what I wrote him...

Here is his reply...

I am stumped on this reply. Any ideas?
Yes. Charlie is so full of doodie...he's trying to spin it some other way then the truth.

DishWire IS NOT USB. It's firewire aka IEEE 1394. Look at the original 921 PDF. On page 2 it says under the column "Rear Panel Features", "2 DISH Wire(tm) audio/video connection ports for interface with select IEEE 1394 products". Down below in the graphic, you can make out the 2 DISH Wire ports clearly. Both the feature and the ports have been removed from the version on Dish's website.

To my knowledge no USB<->IEEE 1394 converters exist, and even if they did, no one would use one in a home theater setup. IEEE was meant to hook up digital video devices and sustain 400mbit connections. USB was meant to hook up mice and keyboards. Additional support was added after the fact and can burst to 480mbits, but can come no where near that speed when you try to sustain a transfer over a period of time.

Even if the USB was meant to do archiving...it still doesn't have support for archiving.

I just sent Charlie a note back explaining the differences between FIREWIRE and USB. :)

See we can even educate the CEO here at SatelliteGuys! :D

I hope DISH is reading this thread:

You want to know the reason I left DISH Network back in March for your competitor??

The 811 is junk. It was released as junk and is still junk. You still haven't fixed the issue of the TOSLink port still outputting data when the receiver is off.

NBR was another reason, and it looks as if you're trying to keep screwing your customers. The DirecTivo works as advertised and guess what DISH? The USB ports are about to go active if rumor holds true for a software update next month.

It doesn't surprise me that NO ONE at DISH knew what the differences between Firewire and USB was.

keith said:
I believe it's called the "discovery" phase.

Let's face it, Dish / Charlie hold all the cards and we might get a few crumbs thrown our way, or not. Are there any promises of NBR in writing? Any promises on Charlie Chat? I don't think you will find any legally binding commitments on Charlie Chat.

Yep. Techs and engineers learn not to speak in absolutes very quickly. :D A few of my favorites....

We...

Anticipate
Might
Expect
Should

We Are...

In Development
Working On
Looking At/Into
Testing

NightRyder

hancox said:
Unless I'm forgetfull, isn't the 1394 port on the 921 labeled "Dishwire?" Maybe that's why we're confusing it :)

Take a look at this attachment. Page 2 clearly shows two 1394 ports labeled "DISH Wire." There is also a bullet point in the "Rear Panel Features" that says: "2 DISH Wire(TM) audio/video connection ports for interface with select IEEE 1394 products."

Personally, although NBR would be nice, and I think they owe it to us based on the May Tech Chat, my main concern is the OTA guide data working for those of us who don't subscribe to LIL's. (No flames, please, just my personal opinion!) ;)

Brad

Attachments

• 921 Cut Sheet.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 294
cdru said:
Your delusional if you think that they will use the resources they "save" by not having to back port NBR to the older receivers and instead use it for newer receivers.
And why would that be delusional? You prevy to the resource allocation of software development resources within Dish or you just pulling that out of a place I would rather not go because you are pissed at Dish.

I am as unhappy with this announcement as the next guy since I just got my 921 about a week before the announcement and might not have pulled the trigger had I had this information in front of me, but I don't see this point as being delusional in the least.

I would like you to kindly point out where my delusion is? And if you are going to give the Charley is a cheap bastard arguement don't bother. If they are truely going the MPEG4 direction I am sure they are redirecting resources towards that goal.

Sure they could add more head count and do both. Adding head count takes time and when you add this into the equation it muddys the waters up a bit more.

While not wishing to draw anyone's wrath I would just as soon they left my 501 and 508 alone. These boxes work well and while NBR would be nice, it is not worth the potential headaches that could accompany it, IMHO.

NightRyder

Adding head count sounds like a good idea. Let's get some engineers working who will make it work, out the door!

Stargazer said:
Why dont they just hire more techs? They can afford it.

What? Logic?!??

Good job guys. Keep the info flowing. The Boston Tea Party has commenced.

On a side note, I'd just like to say.. sheesh. go to work and come home, 4 pages are added to a thread.

i am glad i checked back with this thread. if charlie is reading this, charlie, i am another one who will be leaving.

I have the tech chat where they say NBR is coming. I'll make an audio clip - IF my 522 behaves, right now it's having really bad playback problems! :mad:
korsjs said:
http://jssatellites.tripod.com/dishpro501pvrfeatureideas/

while searching the internet, i ran accross this. it talks about how the 921 will not have NBR and gives link to Satellite Guys for more info.
That's Stargazer's site (see his signature). That info was most likely just taken from this thread. :)

BobMurdoch said:
Hey, Charlie is conversing with Scott now..... I say we put the burning torches out for a few days or weeks and see what comes of this.......
Sorry, this thread is a burn baby burn flame fest. :D

There is no reason why Charlie should reply to the emails.
See if you can get Rupert to answer one D* question, let alone defend hsi company against an angry mob.

I appreciate the tone that Scott has shown in the direct emails he has copied here, but if Charlie did check out this thread I wonder what he would think of Scott's "guys" who are doing the research.

Be firm ... keep the fire burning ... but try not to burn the bridges?

JL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)