FLASH: No Name Based Recording on 921, 721, 501, 508, 510

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Other Promises Made/Promises Broken

What about the other Promises Made/Promises Broken?

'Dish will be the leader in HD' (promise)
'No compelling Content' (broken)
I bet there are quite a few folks here that might not agree on exaclty which are 'compelling' but I'll bet quite a number of votes could be tallied for INHD, ESPN2, STARZ-HD, Universal-HD and others. The next excuse then becomes 'no transponder space'. Clearly if the goal is to be the leader in HD, other content could go.

'We'll have distant HD locals available the moment SHVIRA is passed' (promise)
' '(broken)
It's as if it never occurred. I know there is a provision regarding definition of digital white area, but one would figure that a station that has not digital signal at all would qualify

justalurker said:
There is no reason why Charlie should reply to the emails.
See if you can get Rupert to answer one D* question, let alone defend hsi company against an angry mob.
The answer may lie in the casual format of the Charlie Chat. Charlie sits there and throws out answers and statements without any regard to their truthfulness. At times, he'll turn to the peanut gallery and ask ...Did I get that right???? Much more caution should be made before statements are thrown out there. NBR is one...how about the whold HD fiasco...buy the 8PSK Module, it's all you need for future HD Programming...., get a super dish, no wait..SD can't see CONUS....there's nothing compelling to add...oh...mpeg4....

With D*, there are no rumors for us, therefore no broken promises.

mikew said:
The answer may lie in the casual format of the Charlie Chat. Charlie sits there and throws out answers and statements without any regard to their truthfulness. At times, he'll turn to the peanut gallery and ask ...Did I get that right???? Much more caution should be made before statements are thrown out there. NBR is one...how about the whold HD fiasco...buy the 8PSK Module, it's all you need for future HD Programming...., get a super dish, no wait..SD can't see CONUS....there's nothing compelling to add...oh...mpeg4....

With D*, there are no rumors for us, therefore no broken promises.

The CEO of a publically-held company cant just go on TV and spout out crap! Every word he speaks, no matter how "casual", can affect the stock price of the company. So, YES, he needs to be held accountable.

Merry Christmas

Scott Greczkowski said:
Can someone please get me the audio from the July Tech Chat? :)
This is from a Live Technical Forum I recorded on Monday August 9, 2004. I'm pretty sure that was when it was live but I can't find any related past schedules or summaries. The hosts were introduced as:

Mark Jackson - President of EchoStar Technologies
Dan Minnick - Vice President of Software Engineering

The question came in from "Steven" about name based recording. The first voice on the audio clip is Dan, and the second you hear is Mark. This is a pure digital audio capture. :)

Attachments

• TechAug9NBR.mp3
    537.1 KB · Views: 347
your the man tuxcoder. they talked about it in the 2/9/04 tech forum as well. do you have access to that one as well?

Thanks guys for the clips, Chris from DBSTalk also sent me over some clips as well.

Today was a very big day for us, but tommorow we have a bigger day, since we have the audio clips now in hand, the ball will be back into Charlie court for him decide to do.

He could to the correct thing and give us all a great christmas gift and that is NBR on all Dish DVR's.

Or he can be a corporate jackass and try arguing over what "is" means.

Tommorow we will also be laying the ground work for the "Dish Network Users Group" a place where we can discuss this kind of stuff, and work together to help Charlie fix his company. We will also be working with the DBSTalk folks to wean the talk about this off of DBSTalk and to here at SatelliteGuys, this will help mark turn his 921 support forum back into a support forum.

I do appreciate all the help I am getting from everyone, its great to know I am not fighting this fight alone.

The information I get onto my website comes from this site and DBSTalk and I post links to get people directly to the threads to read up on these things. I am glad to see that different search results is bringing my website up.

When I posted that they can afford to hire more techs I was referring to concentrating their time into the software for the new DVR's going forward. They should perhaps hire some more techs to handle the software in the current receivers that they have out. This would save them money in a way in that the consumers would be more likely to want to keep their existing DVR's and not want to take Dish Network offers to do the upgrades. Adding more features to the existing receivers would allow this and should be very possible to do.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Tommorow we will also be laying the ground work for the "Dish Network Users Group" a place where we can discuss this kind of stuff, and work together to help Charlie fix his company. We will also be working with the DBSTalk folks to wean the talk about this off of DBSTalk and to here at SatelliteGuys, this will help mark turn his 921 support forum back into a support forum.

sounds like a great idea.

This may help:

http://www.vividlogic.com/news/jun2402.html

VIVIDLOGIC TO DELIVER IEEE-1394 BASED DIGITAL CONNECTIVITY WITH PLUG AND ENJOY INTEROPERABILITY TO FUTURE ECHOSTAR DIGITAL STB

EchoStar to deploy VividLogic's FireBusÔ Home Entertainment Infrastructure in next generation Digital Set Top Box

LITTLETON, Colo., June 24, 2002 - VividLogic Inc., a leading provider of Digital Home Entertainment Infrastructure software based on IEEE 1394 (a standard high-speed digital interface also know as FirewireÔ & iLinkÔ), and EchoStar Communications Corporation today announced that EchoStar will deploy VividLogic's premium FireBus software to provide digital connectivity and interoperability in a future, next generation HDTV-compatible set-top box. Systems deployed with Firebus deliver full compliance with the open standards developed and embraced by the Consumer Electronics industry.

This effort will enable EchoStar to develop HDTV satellite TV receiver hardware that seamlessly connects and automatically interoperates with other devices such as Digital Camcorders, Digital VCRs Digital Television, and Audio Video Hard Drives in the 1394 network. FireBus software, with its comprehensive set of protocols, will provide the EchoStar STB with the necessary infrastructure to: (a) intelligently connect and transfer digital content to one or more networked devices (DTV and/or DVCR, AVHDD) while simultaneously protecting the content from being illegally copied by using 5C content protection scheme, (b) provide an application development interface (API) based on Home Audio Video interoperability (HAViÔ) standards and robust IEEE 1394 protocols.

"Our search for highly interoperable software that provides multi-device, multi-vendor interoperability based on open standards led us to VividLogic" said Tom Taylor, Vice President of Engineering, EchoStar. "By working with VividLogic, we were able to quickly integrate a mature software stack with a proven track record and open APIs into our STB platform. EchoStar would like to provide HDTV content to as many television sets as possible, which is why we plan to support both 1394 and DVI, two primary developing standards in the industry."

"VividLogic is committed to providing the best end-to-end Home Networking infrastructure over IEEE 1394 that delivers the highest possible value and time to market to CE manufacturers," said Shiva Patibanda, Chief Executive Officer, VividLogic, Inc. "This collaboration leverages VividLogic's expertise so we can offer STB & CE manufacturers the ability to create applications that generate new revenue streams on our standards-based platform."

-----

And this one also (NOTE DATE!!):

http://www.eet.com/story/OEG20000714S0037

Echostar taps DVI for set-tops, sparks interface debate

By Junko Yoshida
EE Times
July 14, 2000 (1:28 PM EDT)

SAN MATEO, Calif. — An imminent decision by satellite-TV operator Echostar Communications Corp. to incorporate the Digital Video Interface (DVI) in its next-generation set-top box could have major implications in the balance of power over the interface for consumer appliances that hook up to digital television sets.

I'm not going to quote the latter article in full, but I suggest everyone read it.

Chat Transcripts

I have not found the chat summary to help find August's comments within the show, but here is the blow by blow of what has been said in prior shows.

Tech Forum - February 9th, 2004
Time into program: 51 min
Internet Questions from Paul about the DVR510
2nd question: (@ 52 min)
"Are there plans to be able to record all shows with a selected name instead of a specific time?"​
Answer from Dan Minnick VP, Software Engineering:
"Yes. We're working on that technology right now, we will start rolling it out mid-year. And that will start rolling out to all of our DVR products including the 510 series."​
3rd question:
"Why can't a weekly show be protected after recorded?"​
Answer from Dan:
"And once again, that's another feature we will add at the same time as the name based recording, this mid-year."​

Tech Forum - May 10th, 2004
Time into program: 21 min
Internet Question from David A...
Mark Jackson paraphrases:
"Basically he wants to know when we will have Name Based Recording. [description using Friends snipped] What's the story on that? When are we getting that?"​
Dan Minnick answers:
"Well Mark, in the summer we will start rolling that out to various set top boxes. The first one will be the 522. And after that it will roll out to the 510, 5x series. So like Mark said, Name Based Recording will let you type in Survivor and you'll catch all the episodes of Survivor."​
Mark interjects:
"So again, we have just a ton of people asking about that. Everyone is waiting breathlessly, Dan. Got to get the team going and get it out."​
Dan: "Night and day."
Mark: "Night and day." (with a smile)

Charlie Chat - July 12th, 2004
Time into program: 50 min
Jim DeFranco holding email question:
"I'm going to set this one off to the side because they are asking another DVR technical question. As far as 'Program By Title'. I think thats coming soon too."​
Charlie Ergen replies:
[stammering at first snipped]"Today we record by time, and a lot of our customers said we want to record by title, 'I want to record every Seinfeld episode'. We are going to change the software so that you can kind of order a season ticket where you just push a button once and every Seinfeld episode that is ever up there - if you want it. We'll give you some options for repeats or current shows or last year's shows and you'll decide what you want and it will record them no matter where they are in our 1000 channels. Just upgrades to the software to make it easier for you to use, based on comments and suggestions we actually got from our viewers."​

August Tech Chat audio clip transcript:
"Name Based Recordings will start rolling out this year, the first models will be some new models, some new HT models that will be coming out in the fall. That will be followed by the 522, which will then be followed by the 510 and 721. So the 510 50x model series is scheduled for late in the year, first of next year."
"OK, so we got to hussle on that. So it is coming. We'll get that to you."
"Thats another good feature. It will let you do season pass type features, searches based on the name instead of actual events you select from the guide."​

I don't see the 921 in there. It does seem a case can be made for the 510/50x receivers since they kept saying WILL.

JL

I also remember them stating that NBR was going to be added to the other DVR's as well. Perhaps having lots of witnesses would help as well but this is pretty well documented especially in audio form.

While I currently have NBR on my DishPlayer 7200, this really bothers me. The reason is that when they move locals for my DMA off of a two dish solution, I'm fairely certain it would be with a SuperDish.

Since SuperDish is incompatible with the 7200 receiver, I'll no longer be able to record & watch my locals package. Dish's answer has been upgrades to these other DVR's, but I have been waiting so that there is more parity between the two systems and I can have my NBR on one of the newer ones.

Why is it that the very first DVR that E* produced had all of these great features and everything since seems to be these really dumb boxes?

Why on earth would I want to "downgrade" during upgrading just to maintain my locals package when I'm finally forced?

Is this an issue with D* DVR products? Do they have NBR? I think that unless this issue is resolved when I'm finally forced to upgrade, I'll most likely switch providers.

DishSatUser said:
While I currently have NBR on my DishPlayer 7200, this really bothers me.

Why is it that the very first DVR that E* produced had all of these great features and everything since seems to be these really dumb boxes?

The software for the model 7100 and 7200 DishPlayers was written by WebTV (now MSN) and DISH didn't have access to the code so it has taken DISH years to figure out how to do it on their boxes. Also, early on (around 2000-2001) there were some issues with copyrights (TiVo) which, I assume, have been worked out.

Thanks Justalurker for your hard work on that and getting all the quotes.

I have just sent Charlie the quotes. As well as a few ideas I have. I will let you know whats Charlie says back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)