Flat ribbon cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Has anyone heard anymore information about DNS testing and/or releasing the new flat ribbon cables? Life in the big cities isn't all that grand when a good percentage of your installs can't be completed due to landlord restrictions (no drilling in exterior walls).

For that matter, what is the OFFICIAL reason why "current" ribbons are outlawed by DNS??? It sure can't be the "catch on fire" response. It's a piece of cable inside of plastic for crying out loud.

Are you talking about the little flat cable that you slide under a window or door, that has regular RG6 connected to both ends?

I use one of those on my folks Dish1000 dish w/ 501 Rcvr, and works great for them.

Yes, that type of cable. DNS as repeatedly said they aren't "allowed". Not very specific reasons given. I guess if a reason was given, it had to do with the higher voltages of DP and DP+. Call me crazy, but that doesn't wash too well in my noggin

Van in another thread mentioned that Dish Network is testing some new flat cables. Let's hope he can let us know what this new cable looks like. I think you're right, it has something to do with the higher voltage in DP and DPP equipment.

if i had to guess, i'd say its so that you will only be buying little flat peices of coax with a dish logo on them... probably at an over-inflated price :p

yeah, we are supposed to get some new ribbon cable into the office soon. Yeah they said we weren't supposed to use it, but that doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of it laying around in the van somewhere for those "special" occasions.

My question for the installers that have used the flat cable is, do they work with DP or DPP equipment? I have a couple, I guess I can test it but just want to know if someone has actually used them with DP or DPP.

I used a flat cable on my folks install.

They have a Dish1000 which has a DPP Twin LNBF, and DP Single LNBF.

Works great.

By The Way, I used the flat cable that is available at Sadoun.

The standard flat cable is the worst stuff in the world, the filament and I call it that for a reason wont work for long if at all with dish pro, the casing is easily broken after a few closings of a window or doorwall. The new stuff that we are supposed to be testing is supposedly using a thicker and more durable casing, thicker center conductor and is rated to 2150 mhz. I havent seen it yet but as soon as I do I will tell you guys more about it.

I do not use flat cable unless it is for legacy setups without any switches being used and that is rare. Some people do not want holes drilled or cannot drill them and has no basement or crawl space.

Van said:
The standard flat cable is the worst stuff in the world, the filament and I call it that for a reason wont work for long if at all with dish pro, the casing is easily broken after a few closings of a window or doorwall. The new stuff that we are supposed to be testing is supposedly using a thicker and more durable casing, thicker center conductor and is rated to 2150 mhz. I havent seen it yet but as soon as I do I will tell you guys more about it.

Thank-you!! That was the answer I was looking for :)

As to your reply about durability, I totally concur. This is why if I do use them for "special occasions" I make it a major point to tell the customer to be real, real gentle with them. I would much, much rather see them used on windows than sliding glass doors. People tend to abuse the hell out of their doors...especially after a crappy day of work. LOL

Van said:

Thanks and keep us informed. :)

That flat cable at sodoun looks exactly like the crap ones they sold me at P10. they had 1 GHz barrels in each end, and a flat "filament" for lack of a better term. If they get twisted or roughhoused, they are done.

These are the last ones I picked up. I disected one in the name of science (why not? Its only 65 cents!). I hooked one up with DPP. Made sure the CX was aware that they were NOT approved and were NOT going to be covered by me under any sort of warranty. One of his TVs that he wanted the 625 hooked to was in the bedroom and one was in the living room with a sliding glass door. I explained to him that the ONLY way I was doing the install is if the 625 went in the bedroom and the TV 2 cable went around the baseboard and under the carpet to the living room. No way I am running a flat cable through a sliding glass door. Anyway, it works. If you try to jam an RG6 under a window, you are gonna get check switch errors like crazy.

I sort of wish that E* would decline apartment dwellers.......It would help completion percentages. :D

with no further delay, I present to you the flat cable that I use (unnofficially, of course). And pretty much only in my zipcode. I sure as hell won't use these if there is a chance of getting QC'd! The barrels on the end are 3GHz, and the filament is a round wire, not that flat crap in those other "flat cables". I would like to know how these are a fire hazzard. It seems to me that if they were, EA would not put their name on the line like that. I don't know if this is the one they are testing, but it is a heck of a lot more durable than the stuff I used to get from P10.

Attachments

• flat cable.jpg
    flat cable.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
dishguy15022 said:
sometimes, flat ribbon cable is the only answer in apartments where you are not allowed to drill. Call your supervisor and get the customer to sign off on it. Remember, CYA.....

Its against our company policy. That's why I only use them in MY zip code. Less far to drive for a free service call. I tell people they have to pay for them if they break so they will be careful with them. I had to replace a couple that got twisted and slamed in a door (those were the 'old' style, that were literally flat inside--those things would break just from wiggling). I find that people take better care of stuff if it ISN'T free. Free has NO value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)