Flex Pack & Channel Packs Coming 8/4

Actually the Verizon FIOS tv system started this type of "skinny bundle" in the spring of 2015. Charlie and DISH just improved on it and added the add on packs like news, sports, variety, kid pack etc. I suggested this very system years ago when I saw the Canadian Satellite systems were using it. Now the Canadians have gone on to one basic pack of locals and essential channels for like $25.00 and then you can add on any channel you want for true ala cart. Maybe we can get this system here someday. Till then the Flex pack system is as close to ala cart as we can get. :oldsmile2

Reactions: peggy97850
Actually the Verizon FIOS tv system started this type of "skinny bundle" in the spring of 2015. Charlie and DISH just improved on it and added the add on packs like news, sports, variety, kid pack etc. I suggested this very system years ago when I saw the Canadian Satellite systems were using it. Now the Canadians have gone on to one basic pack of locals and essential channels for like $25.00 and then you can add on any channel you want for true ala cart. Maybe we can get this system here someday. Till then the Flex pack system is as close to ala cart as we can get. :oldsmile2

The providers in Canada bundle the add-on packages, you can't order single channels.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-tv-consumers-explainer/article28951724/#shaw

Correct. On a per channel basis the Flex Pack will most likely be more expensive. Just as it would be more expensive on a per channel basis if you could sub to individual channels. That's a point that has been made for many years.

BUT, the idea is to decide if the channels offered at the lower package pricing is of benefit to you. For instance, for me the Flex Pack+Locals+National Sports pack is cheaper out of my pocket and has all the channels I would actually watch, or at least all but at most 2 channels. I lose Golf Channel and BBCA, but they aren't worth the $25/month additionally it would cost me to have them.

As info, I have changed my sub from the Flex Pack because my son wanted channels in the T200 and the Multi-Sports pack as well as the wireless Joey so he can watch. He is paying those extra charges. When/if his GF lets him move back in, I'll be dropping back to the Flex packages.

So the idea is to make a personal choice between channels you want and how much out of your pocket you are willing to pay for them. IOW, it is, as usual, all about choices.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

In the grand Ol' Days of C-Band dishes dominating the field of ownership over DBS dishes, ale carte was the cheapest per channel way of getting programming. Now, that which is closest to that is now the most expensive. Yet, IMO the Flex Pack is a very welcome addition. I commend Dish Network for offering it. What a great idea!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think you're remembering with rose colored glasses! :) I had c-band back in the day and the packages were cheaper per channel in almost all instances, but they also had the same problem, channels I didn't actually want. Al a carte allowed me to spend less, but each channel wasn't cheaper.

Reactions: STDog and bobvick
The providers in Canada bundle the add-on packages, you can't order single channels.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-tv-consumers-explainer/article28951724/#shaw
From what I read a couple of months ago the Canadian legislature passed a law that will allow ala cart like I outlined above by December of 2016. How each company does it might be different. But according to your article about Shaw Satellite, they do allow many popular channels ala cart at $3.00 each. So they are a hybrid system. But they have till December of this year to offer full ala cart or "pick and pay" for the American and Canadian channels that Consumers watch. Which means the end of pricey subscription packages of unwanted tv channels they don't want or view.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/canada-offers-a-la-carte-783108

I think you're remembering with rose colored glasses! :) I had c-band back in the day and the packages were cheaper per channel in almost all instances, but they also had the same problem, channels I didn't actually want. Al a carte allowed me to spend less, but each channel wasn't cheaper.

My overall cost was cheaper by a lot! But.. none of that matters now one way or the other. It is all days gone by now.

My overall cost was cheaper by a lot! But.. none of that matters now one way or the other. It is all days gone by now.

I think that is what he is saying. The price per channel was cheaper in a package. Now, depending on what you wanted a-la-carte might be cheaper for YOU. Packages were always cheaper for me even back then.

Reactions: STDog and Spike
A la carte, i am interest only in FX, FXX, TBS, TNT, AXS. and may be Discovery's specialty channel when add SAP.
May will see in the next year parallel package, like another smartpack that including all discovery theme channel and TBS?

Yes, I hope they will add a NASCAR pack later for us fans of that sport. I was put under contract by getting the Hopper 3 so can't do any other changes. Flex would be nice, I have the AT200 pack now.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
That's the beauty of having the Flex Pack available. For instance, right now I've got the T200 and Multi-sport because my son wants to be able to watch his football. But when the season is over, or he moves out (yet again... sigh), I can drop back to Flex+locals+national sports, and then in the summer when the locals suck, I can drop the locals for a few months. I suppose something similar could be done for those NASCAR fans, assuming it is somewhat seasonal.

That allows us to get closer to paying for what we actually want/need instead of always having a 'fat package' all the time. Downside is that you have to be willing to manage your subscriptions better and more often.

I sure would think Dish would get a lot more subs if they offered every individual channel at $xx cost. Maybe at a minimum (like flex at $30), then offer the "packs" and/or individual channels at $5 each (or whatever cost made them money). I'd be happy to pay $40 for Flex + locals, and then add 5 or 6 channels at $5 each.

I am happy with Flex + locals, but would add Golf and CNBC if I could (but I prefer saving $40 over the T200).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: rodder
I sure would think Dish would get a lot more subs if they offered every individual channel at $xx cost. Maybe at a minimum (like flex at $30), then offer the "packs" and/or individual channels at $5 each (or whatever cost made them money). I'd be happy to pay $40 for Flex + locals, and then add 5 or 6 channels at $5 each.

I am happy with Flex + locals, but would add Golf and CNBC if I could (but I prefer saving $40 over the T200).

And that's the argument at hand. People feel they should pay bundle per channel price, rather than the true cost of ala carte and then it becomes "Dish is greedy".

You are still paying a bundle price.
You are just paying more for the same channel than the America Top subscribers and getting less channels ,which makes absolutely no sense.

Take all those channels in the flex pack out of the Top 200 and your telling me those all of a sudden became more valuable?
I bet those channel cost Charlie the exact same amount in the Flex pack as they do in the Top 200 pack.
Only difference he's charging you more for them to keep his profit the same percentage.
He loves you Flex customers.
I wouldn't doubt he drops the AT packs, and just does these bundles packs at a premium price.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yes Troch, we know you're not happy with options. The fact that many now have the OPTION to save money... It's such a terrible thing. Guess what, they are still a for profit company, and still have their fixed costs to cover with skinny bundles. Variable costs, such as channels, are the easiest way to make up that difference.

Reactions: Tampa8
You are just paying more for the same channel than the America Top subscribers and getting less channels ,which makes absolutely no sense.

Take all those channels in the flex pack out of the Top 200 and your telling me those all of a sudden became more valuable?
I bet those channel cost Charlie the exact same amount in the Flex pack as they do in the Top 200 pack.
Only difference he's charging you more for them to keep his profit the same percentage.
He loves you Flex customers.
I wouldn't doubt he drops the AT packs, and just does these bundles packs at a premium price.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Not sure I am "paying more". Yes maybe if you average by number of channels, but 30% of them probably cost dish nothing (shopping channels). There's maybe 20 channels I watch in Flex for $40, so all the other missing channels certainly aren't worth the other $40 bump to T200 (to me). I'm sure the missing channels cost Dish about the same as what's in Flex. There's only 2 channels not in Flex that I like, but certainly not worth paying $20 each for.

Hopefully within a year Dish will get it together and make all missing channels available either in a pack of individually. Then just eliminate T200 and T250. Would be nice to have an Everything bundle that actually included everything (not that I'd buy it, but it's nomenclature baffles me!)

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Some people have a hard time grasping what every other business in the world does on quantity purchases. I'll go back to my donut example.

You buy a dozen donuts for $6.00 a dozen, that is $0.50 for each donut. But you can only eat 6 of them throwing the other six away.

You can just buy 6 donuts at $0.70 each, spend $4.20 and only buy what you can eat.

Sure, they make more on each of those 6 donuts. Of course this doesn't take into account the fixed expenses that is the same amount on each sale. But who really cares what they make if you get what you want instead of being forced to pay for items that you will ever use AND save $1.80 out of your pocket.

Show me one company that does not give a quantity discount.

Some people have a hard time grasping what every other business in the world does on quantity purchases. I'll go back to my donut example.

You buy a dozen donuts for $6.00 a dozen, that is $0.50 for each donut. But you can only eat 6 of them throwing the other six away.

You can just buy 6 donuts at $0.70 each, spend $4.20 and only buy what you can eat.

Sure, they make more on each of those 6 donuts. Of course this doesn't take into account the fixed expenses that is the same amount on each sale. But who really cares what they make if you get what you want instead of being forced to pay for items that you will ever use AND save $1.80 out of your pocket.

Lol. My power company, but that's another story.

Reactions: 300mag

Except, each of those 6 donuts cost exactly the same price to make as 1 , 12, or 100.
Flex pack is like buying 6 donuts at the single donut price.
FLEX pack you pay $1.25 per channel at $40.
TOP 200 you pay .40 cents per channel.

Since Dish has contracts to carry these channels anyway.
You do realize you should only be paying about .80 cents per channel

Thats would be the same profit to Charlie.
Flex pack is raking in the profits.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Except, each of those 6 donuts cost exactly the same price to make as 1 , 12, or 100.
Flex pack is like buying 6 donuts at the single donut price.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
If it takes 20 minutes worth of electricity to make 1 donut or 40 donuts, but you can sell 1 or 40, it would go to show that it is cheaper to make 40 as the electricity can be split amongst 40 sells, whereas that same amount of cost would need to be recovered through selling just 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)