Flex vs. Welcome Pack

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
My first year back with Dish is almost up, and that means my bill is going to go up with the expiration of my free HBO promo. I was thinking I would just switch to the Welcome Pack which would drop my bill by about $15, albeit losing all my other promo pricing in the process, which would pay for HBO or HBO Now.

I decided perhaps I should consider my other options, so I took a look at the Flex Pack. It appears to do away with a lot of channels we don't watch, like sports, while retaining channels we do watch, like Comedy Central, TBS, and SyFy. It would drop my bill about $10 compared to the AT120 (without HBO), so it would still represent a price increase with the additional cost of HBO, but only $5.

It looks like I would retain my equipment, locals, and autopay discounts for the remainder of my commitment when I look at the proposed changes in my account at mydish.com, unlike the Welcome Pack. Is that correct?
Screenshot from 2018-08-22 13-27-22.png

Also, does anyone know of any caveats with the Flex package which might not be apparent on the surface?

Thanks,
Ted

It looks like I would retain my autopay discounts

Yes, I believe Flex Pack is eligible for your ongoing discounts, but you might have to speak to the Loyalty Team to get them added (if they even get removed at all). It's been awhile since I've had Flex, but I think I was getting the DVR fee for $10 and maybe $5 off the package, IIRC.

In my opinion, it would be better to make the change through a representative if you want to make SURE you don't lose any ongoing discounts and that they are renewed for the correct length of time.

Reactions: pattykay
Wow! Is this what the average sub is paying for extra receiver fees? In some cases, they are more expensive than the programming the person pays for. I think I will continue to stick with my single Vip211k, with no fees.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I went ahead and made the change tonight since I wasn't going to lose any promos. Might as well start saving money now. My current services now match the proposed services in my original post, so it seems to have worked. I got screen captures of each step of the process, just in case, although I've never had an issue with Dish's CRM system before.

Only channel I miss that’s not in the welcome pack is the Science Channel but I aint paying $42 a month extra just for that.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
smart pack has science channel. i had smart pack and just downgraded back to welcome pack. got bored of id tv.
... i had flex pack. find myself watching locals, oxygen, we, ,tbs comedy and showtime and encore channels frequently.

and for new movies i watch when they come out.
flex good pack good.
i am thinking of subscribing to dish movie pack soon.
i like ncis, law and order, criminal minds. and yeah jerry springer

are you on the two year price lock? I did get HBo for a year and its over in a month but my price is locked in for another year.
Yes, but I have to sub to a package on a certain list, or I lose the price lock. The Welcome Pack is not on that list, but the Flex Pack is.

Only channel I miss that’s not in the welcome pack is the Science Channel but I aint paying $42 a month extra just for that.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Have you tried Philo? It has Science Channel for $16/month with other channels (or $20/month if you want additional channels). We got it for ID because we did not want to so much more for it while keeping our Welcome Pack with Dish for locals, Boomerang, etc. FMI (with my referral code RQJ6WSM if you want a credit): Philo

We had it with our older Roku which has been acting up in general. So, I got a Fire TV stick, and it seems to be working well. It is also now available for Apple TV. For $16/month plus taxes if required, you get the following:
  • A&E
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • AXS TV
  • BBC America
  • BBC World News
  • BET
  • Cheddar
  • Cheddar Big News
  • CMT
  • Comedy Central
  • Discovery Channel