Florida: Bigger DISH why?

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Every provider I've called and talked to has told me about the size of there dishes, it isn't until I state I live in Florida that they will install a bigger DISH. I remember when we ordered Dish network they gave us the superdish and I was thinking "what the hell why can't we have one of those small portable dishes like I see in stores". I guess it was due to the ammount of channels plus the fact we wanted HD with one dish solution. I called VOOM up and asked about their dish I think they said it was 15" but in florida we would need a 22"? Is there a reason Florida requires bigger DISHes? Is it due to the fact the signal is weaker? Anyone that knows this LMK please.

they don't. In fact for voom, florida is a prime spot for reception. They must want to give you the bigger dish now if they're planning on migrating to rainbow-2. If you needed a superdish for florida it was because of your locals.

it's a FSS satellite and it is actually amc-6 with a different name, I think it's located at 72

Central Florida has more "thunderstorm days" than any other place in the US... I wonder if bigger dishes are to help with rain fade?

I believe that there are two issues at work.
First, rain fade and second most satellites aim their signal at the center of the USA. Florida would be on the outside edge of the beam and would need a larger dish for the best reception.

PILMAN said:
Maybe but I live on the panhandle.

I think some areas of the Panhandle need a Superdish for locals

edit: I checked the Panhandle and that area gets Mobile/Pensacola locals, which are on Superdish 105....so maybe thats all they're installing even if you dont get your locals :)

Haha yep hows the weather? It's nice over here.

Anyways back on topic. When we got our stuff installed about a year and a half ago I remember them coming to the house (after 2 cancelled appointments) and we had 3 301's, and a 322 receiver. So 4 receivers, technically 5 feeds. That was one factor I could think of, plus my mother wanted her locals, thats another factor, I wanted HDTV but they said I didn't need an HDTV receiver and it looked fine enough yet I assumed I was still getting HDTV because on the dish it's self it said HDTV but I guess I wasn't until I bought a 811 receiver later on. I also noticed that some superdishes are smaller than others yet the reason I bring up the bigger size dish in florida is I read somewhere on here someone said if you live in Florida dish gives you a bigger superdish or something. Voom also said because I live in Florida i'd get a bigger dish.

there aren't 2 different sizes...but there are 2 different types of Superdish (I dont remember what each one is made of...I'm assuming fiberglass or metal)

When i got dish, the installer said superdish wouldnt work in florida so he gave us 2 dish 500's (one for 110/119 and the other for 61.5). I later learned that it is partially true, superdish will not work in florida if it is aimed at 105, but will work at 121. I live at the north end of the tampa dma, but now people just north of me in the gainesville dma now have locals on dish and they get superdish since the gainesville locals are on 121

You will only get a Superdish if your area's locals are on 105 or 121

I thkn just the Panhandle is part of this. The rest of the DMA's in Florida are on Dish500 with some locals on 61.5

105 does not reach past the Panhandle right now. It doesn't work good in MN either. There is a new satellite replacing AMC2 (thats at 105 right now) to fill in the issues

121 works in the 48 no problem.

hmm I always wondered why they gave me such a fat dish. I guess it's good in the longterm seeing as I wanted to get HDTV later on. At least I don't need another dish and I was able to get HDTV without a problem. I know my mom would be freaking out if we had two dishes, it already is hidous looking to her "garden". I can't really consider it a garden seeing as we have sand instead of mud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts