Florida Legislature does not pass Dolphins Stadium renovations, CEO states Dolphins future "clearly

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I would have just added this to the NFL thread, but because of the poisoning of the Marlins Stadium, i thought it deserved it's own thread. You can thank good ole Jeffrey Loria for this. Loria has left Florida lawmakers so f&%king scared that there is little chance of ANY professional team getting ANY money any time in the near future.

Miami Dolphins CEO Mike Dee said in a television interview Sunday his team won't pay for any renovations to Sun Life Stadium after the Florida Legislature ended its session without passing any funding plan that would assist the team's quest to refurbish the stadium.

"We cannot do this without a private-public partnership," Dee told WFOR-TV in Miami. "At this time we have no intention of investing more."

When asked about the long-term future of the Dolphins in South Florida, Dee said: "I wouldn't want to prognosticate what the future holds, but it's clearly bleak."

Dee said in the interview that 73-year-old owner Stephen Ross has no intentions to move the franchise but at some point he'll sell the team and the aging stadium will be an issue confronting the new owner.

Dee was asked in the interview if moving the franchise to Los Angeles now becomes an option.

"I don't think it's an option for Steve Ross, but for a subsequent owner? The Dolphins are one of the only franchises in the National Football League that do not have a long-term lease with their community," he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9246386/miami-dolphins-pay-stadium-fixes-ceo-mike-dee

even though no money was gonna come out of my pockets, i am glad this didn't go through! Ross has some VERY deep pockets and can easily take care of this on his own. if it had reached voting i would hope Miami learned something from their previous mistake.

I honestly don't understand why sports teams need taxpayer money to build stadiums. Cowboys Stadium is a good example of why taxpayers shouldn't have footed ANY of the bill. Jerry Jones could have easily afforded the entire construction cost.

Neutron... you're right. If billionnaires dont want to spend their $$$ on their own playfields then they shouldnt be in sports.
Same thing in Quebec city, a new NHL caliber rink is being built for a billonnaire who could afford to build 10 on his own.

"Dee was asked in the interview if moving the franchise to Los Angeles now becomes an option"

Yeah right. Miami, IMO is one of those sports teams which will NEVER movie. Yankees, Red Sox, Canadiens, Knicks, Lakers, Cowboys... legendary teams like these, with strong roots in the community, will never been allowed to move.

If LA doesn't pan out as a possible relocation option I'm sure San Antonio would love to have an NFL team.

"Dee was asked in the interview if moving the franchise to Los Angeles now becomes an option"

Yeah right. Miami, IMO is one of those sports teams which will NEVER movie. Yankees, Red Sox, Canadiens, Knicks, Lakers, Cowboys... legendary teams like these, with strong roots in the community, will never been allowed to move.

i agree. that will not happen, not with the fins anyway.....

At least not while Ross owns them. He has said he will sell one day, and at that point if another city offers a sweetheart deal, all bets will be off...

How can stadium users lose? Don't they sometimes get the use of the stadium, plus revenues from ticket sales and concessions? Didn't the Redskins get some fantastic deal like that? Public money for mega sports plexes rarely, if ever, is a good idea with any payback. I doubt these mega stadiums ever pay for themselves.

Good for the people of Miami. Tell this guy to pay for it himself or get out of here.

Its a fab nowadays with rich folks "why spend your own money when you can spend someone elses.."
How many times do you hear a pro team's park/stadium/arena financed by tax payers or celebs losing their homes to forclosures (surely if your making millions and millions, you can afford to pay for your own house).

Cheers, K

Like the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants.

Like the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants.

Let me elaborate... Modern Day sports!

Some franchises are more than just some sports team in a city, they're part of the local culture and history... These are the teams that will never move IMO: The Cowboys, NY Yankees, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Celtics, Manchester United just to name a few.

Nowadays w/ social media, the internet would explode if someone entertained the thought of moving one of these teams. Who cares if the Columbus Blue Jackets or Kansas City Royals move.. but I guaranty you hell in the streets of NY if someone wants to move the Yankees to Las Vegas.

Cheers, K

right
Colt's
Browns.. heck we dang near invented football in that area
very few of these are built without some pubic funds.. just a fact

Doubt anyone outside of Baltimore or Cleveland cared about any of those teams. Am not discussing the past, am discussing modern day era ie- when the business of sports really took off in the mid 90s.

Think Minny misses the Lakers? Montreal misses the Maroons? Heck, a lot of people in Montreal to this day are still very upset over the Expos.

The Browns move to Baltimore is fairly recent (1996), so I'd definately call that a modern day sports move.
Plus they were a big part of Cleveland's identity, and it didn't stop their move.

And the NFL knew it was wrong and a mistake which is why Modell relinquished the name, logo/colors and history. 3 years later the Browns were back.

Cheers, K

Let me elaborate... Modern Day sports!

Some franchises are more than just some sports team in a city, they're part of the local culture and history... These are the teams that will never move IMO: The Cowboys, NY Yankees, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Celtics, Manchester United just to name a few.

Nowadays w/ social media, the internet would explode if someone entertained the thought of moving one of these teams. Who cares if the Columbus Blue Jackets or Kansas City Royals move.. but I guaranty you hell in the streets of NY if someone wants to move the Yankees to Las Vegas.

Cheers, K

My point was that the same thing was said about the Dodgers and Giants before they moved. Few thought hat the rams would abandon LA for St. Louis either but when money calls team owners listen----even if fans are upset. ANY move is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts