Florida Marlins keeping their games off MLB Extra Innings?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
A couple of weeks ago the Marlins held their game with the Cubs at 5PM on a Sunday, which did not allow the game to be televised on Extra Innings. It became a minor issue because the Cubs have such a national following. Seemed like an isolated incident at the time, but this past weekend it happened again...twice.

Saturday's game with Colorado was scheduled for 6PM, and since it fell into the 4-7 PM window Fox has paid for exclusive rights to, the game wasn't to be on Extra Innings. The game was rained out, but the point stands.

Yesterday's (Sunday's) game was once again scheduled to begin at 5PM, which means it could not be shown on Extra Innings because of the ESPN contract. If the game began at 4PM, it would have been on Extra Innings.

So both days, if the Marlins would have moved the game back (Saturday) or forward (Sunday) by one hour, the games could have been shown. This has gone from an isolated incident into possibly a pattern.

I wonder if the Marlins are keeping their games of MLBEI on purpose? What would that accomplish? Or are they just not paying attention to the national TV windows, or do they just not care if they have fans outside of Florida?

Weather changed things both days, but the question about why the games were scheduled as they were still stands.

Sandra

sandra, i live in marlins territory and i didn't get the game saturday. not sure our rsn carried it and i don't know about colorado.

i did get the game against the cubs a few weeks ago.

A couple of weeks ago the Marlins held their game with the Cubs at 5PM on a Sunday, which did not allow the game to be televised on Extra Innings. It became a minor issue because the Cubs have such a national following. Seemed like an isolated incident at the time, but this past weekend it happened again...twice.

Saturday's game with Colorado was scheduled for 6PM, and since it fell into the 4-7 PM window Fox has paid for exclusive rights to, the game wasn't to be on Extra Innings. The game was rained out, but the point stands.

Yesterday's (Sunday's) game was once again scheduled to begin at 5PM, which means it could not be shown on Extra Innings because of the ESPN contract. If the game began at 4PM, it would have been on Extra Innings.

So both days, if the Marlins would have moved the game back (Saturday) or forward (Sunday) by one hour, the games could have been shown. This has gone from an isolated incident into possibly a pattern.

I wonder if the Marlins are keeping their games of MLBEI on purpose? What would that accomplish? Or are they just not paying attention to the national TV windows, or do they just not care if they have fans outside of Florida?

Weather changed things both days, but the question about why the games were scheduled as they were still stands.

Sandra

Yes...they are doing it on purpose.:rolleyes:

Most saturday games are 7:05 start unless there is a special promotion, like a after game concert...which they have those often...then it is a 6:05 start.

From what I was told(unofficially, person I know that is involved with promotions), the games later in the year...July, August, September and October....they are experimenting with later starts because of the heat and humidity

Yes...they are doing it on purpose.:rolleyes:

Most saturday games are 7:05 start unless there is a special promotion, like a after game concert...which they have those often...then it is a 6:05 start.

From what I was told(unofficially, person I know that is involved with promotions), the games later in the year...July, August, September and October....they are experimenting with later starts because of the heat and humidity

If Saturday's game was started an hour earlier LATER (7PM instead of 6PM) it could have been shown on Extra Innings. Just saying...

Perhaps there was a concert.

Sandra

If Saturday's game was started an hour earlier LATER (7PM instead of 6PM) it could have been shown on Extra Innings. Just saying...

Perhaps there was a concert.

Sandra

AGAIN, you didn't read my statement....on those days they have special concert promotion...LIKE this past saturday....they start games at 6:05pm.

AGAIN, you didn't read my statement....on those days they have special concert promotion...LIKE this past saturday....they start games at 6:05pm.

I did read your statement, which is why I said 'perhaps there was a concert'. Why must everything be confrontational, even when I agree with you?

Sandra

I did read your statement, which is why I said 'perhaps there was a concert'. Why must everything be confrontational, even when I agree with you?

Sandra

if you look at the marlins schedule, you will see that next to ALL the dates that start at 6:05pm start...there a "super saturday" concert.

2009 Marlins Schedule | marlins.com: Schedule

The moment you insinuated there was some kind of conspiracy to 'screw somebody over' with...

"I wonder if the Marlins are keeping their games of MLBEI on purpose? What would that accomplish? Or are they just not paying attention to the national TV windows, or do they just not care if they have fans outside of Florida?"

You MAKE it confrontational...

if you look at the marlins schedule, you will see that next to ALL the dates that start at 6:05pm start...there a "super saturday" concert.

2009 Marlins Schedule | marlins.com: Schedule

The moment you insinuated there was some kind of conspiracy to 'screw somebody over' with...

"I wonder if the Marlins are keeping their games of MLBEI on purpose? What would that accomplish? Or are they just not paying attention to the national TV windows, or do they just not care if they have fans outside of Florida?"

You MAKE it confrontational...

I'm sorry I didn't look up the entire Florida Marlins schedule before I posted this.

Sandra

I was in Miami for the weekend after a nice relaxing Bahamas cruise! We went to the Friday night Marlins/Rockies game, and oh my, they didn't announce the attendance but there must have been 3-5,000 people!! Our Buffalo Bisons get as many or more fans! You think they would want to have as many games televised as possible on Extra Innings and elsewhere to make up some revenue!

I was in Miami for the weekend after a nice relaxing Bahamas cruise! We went to the Friday night Marlins/Rockies game, and oh my, they didn't announce the attendance but there must have been 3-5,000 people!! Our Buffalo Bisons get as many or more fans! You think they would want to have as many games televised as possible on Extra Innings and elsewhere to make up some revenue!

Televising games on Extra Innings does not bring direct revenue. The teams split up the big pie, and they probably share equally regardless how many games they televise individually on Extra Innings. I suppose you can argue you may pick up extra out of market fans by having your games televised, leading to souvenir sales, etc.

Sandra

When the Dodgers played in FL on a Saturday earlier this year, they had to delay the LA broadcast on KCAL9 an hour because of the Fox Saturday Baseball window. I knew what happened an hour before I seen it on TV. Sunday's game was supposed to be on EI, but because of the schedule change due to the Double Header is why it was not shown. They even had it in the guide and on the schedule.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/mlb_schedules

Last edited:
When the Dodgers played in FL on a Saturday earlier this year, they had to delay the LA broadcast on KCAL9 an hour because of the Fox Saturday Baseball window. I knew what happened an hour before I seen it on TV.
Sunday's game was supposed to be on EI, but because of the schedule change due to the Double Header is why it was not shown. They even had it in the guide and on the schedule.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/mlb_schedules

DK,

Did you happen to catch what DTV did at 5PM just as the Cards were up to bat at the bottom of the 9th with 1 out and 2 men on trailing? They pulled the plug even though the game began on time @ 11AM PDT but was victimized by 2 rain delays!!!! If I were a die hard Cards or Padres fan I would make note to cancel next year's subscription! (Thankfully, ESPN was in a reain delay and quickly showed the remarkable Cards' comback to win in highlights!)

I was waiting for "Heidi" to come on DTV in place of the game.

When the Dodgers played in FL on a Saturday earlier this year, they had to delay the LA broadcast on KCAL9 an hour because of the Fox Saturday Baseball window. I knew what happened an hour before I seen it on TV.

DK,

Did you happen to catch what DTV did at 5PM just as the Cards were up to bat at the bottom of the 9th with 1 out and 2 men on trailing? They pulled the plug even though the game began on time @ 11AM PDT but was victimized by 2 rain delays!!!! If I were a die hard Cards or Padres fan I would make note to cancel next year's subscription! (Thankfully, ESPN was in a reain delay and quickly showed the remarkable Cards' comback to win in highlights!)

I was waiting for "Heidi" to come on DTV in place of the game.
That has to do with ESPNs exclusive broadcasting rights.

As a Marlin and Raider fan, Salsa is a fan of two teams that are the extreme opposites of fans showing up and showing up to the stadium on a consistent basis.

Even through this horrendous stretch of football, at least the Raiders fans are showing up. Marlins fans, OTOH- well, let's say empty seats at their games is a given.

Raider Nation gets a bad rap because of their look, appearance, and antics, but at least they are consistent in staying true with the team.

Why can't the Marlins be like that? Why can't most Marlin fans be loyal like Salsa?

As a Marlin and Raider fan, Salsa is a fan of two teams that are the extreme opposites of fans showing up and showing up to the stadium on a consistent basis.

Even through this horrendous stretch of football, at least the Raiders fans are showing up. Marlins fans, OTOH- well, let's say empty seats at their games is a given.

Raider Nation gets a bad rap because of their look, appearance, and antics, but at least they are consistent in staying true with the team.

Why can't the Marlins be like that? Why can't most Marlin fans be loyal like Salsa?

marlins fans have barely shown up even after winning a world series.

Sandra

Both of you do it. So STOP!!!!!!!!!

TWO main reasons for the lack of fans at the stadium....One, Florida, especially southeastern Florida...is a transient state. I read somewhere(and I have been dying to find this fact) almost 45% of those that live in Florida were not originally from Florida....and are either from the North or from the Caribbean. A New Yorker, or a Chicagoan or someone from Dallas is not gonna suddenly become a Marlins fan and drop their team just because they moved here. When sports teams from NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh and so forth and come down here....the teams coming do at the time maybe be mediocre....but the stadiums will have alot of their fans. Marlin baseball history is a toddler compared to the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox and Braves of the world. And then, every time the city has been enamored with the team.....ownership has taken it upon themselves to break it up and have a yard sale.

There are more baseball fans in south Florida than most states with all the influences from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Nicaragua, Mexico and Venezuela than you can shake a stick at. They are just not bread to be Marlins fans. And latinos are EXTREMELY loyal to their teams.

Secondly, this is a Dolphin town....and will ALWAYS be a Dolphin town. The "newest kids on the block", the Heat and the Marlins have won MORE championships than the Dolphins have....AND more recently too. And what do they never get tired of talking about is the Undefeated season and Dan Marino. More people know Dwayne Wade WORLD WIDE than they know Dan Marino......but Dan Marino and Don Shula will always be kings here. Pat Reilly has accomplished MORE than Don Shula has.....but they do not talk about Reilly like they talk about Shula.

I love baseball more than any other sport, but there are times when I honestly think Miami/South Florida does NOT deserve a team....but then I think about what I have just posted...and the die hard fans that show up all season long....and it makes me change my mind.:(:eek: