Food Channel coming in HD in June

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
"Scripps’ Food Network is also slowly making its way into the multiplatform world. With VOD content on Time Warner and Comcast systems, a mobile deal with Sprint, and deals to distribute syndicated broadband content to MSN and Yahoo!, Food will launch in HD in June with about 3 million homes on EchoStar. It plans a broadband spinoff site for later this year." By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/8/2006

We heard this same thing when HGTV HD launched. I'll believe it will be on Dish when I see it on.

Last edited:
vinnyv07 said:
Is it just me? This ch does not excite me at all.
:eek: What's wrong with you man!

They could be throwing some lousy HD movie channel at us which would only interest a niche audience but instead they're giving us something that eveyone will love.

Charlie took the cheap way out though. This channel was offered bundled with "QuiltingHD" for not much more and he turned it down.:p

Originally Posted by vinnyv07
Is it just me? This ch does not excite me at all.

You're no foodie. It excites my wife and I. And probably excites Iron Chef fans, even though that show will never be released in HD. The Food Network has quite a following. Maybe not up to the numbers of football fans, but certainly enough to be profitable.

EVERYBODY eats. As I was taught in chop school "people eat with their eyes." Gorgeous cakes and desserts sell well- taste is often secondary. Watching high quality images of worldwide contests of say, the world's finest dessert chef, is wonderful. Many of us will never have the chance to attend such an event in person, but we can see the fantastic creations. And HD is almost as good as being there. SD isn't.

If you love food, you'll get to see all three hundreds hours of original programming played over, and over, and over again for the next 7 months. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I remember when I purchased my first HDTV four years ago and was begging for someone...anyone...to broadcast in HD. Heck, I don't think I saw much more than 300 hours of HD programming that first year I had my set. :(

As it currently stands, DishHD and OTA (along with a 622, 942 and Sony QAM/ATSC HD DVR) provide us with way more HD than we could ever watch. While we probably won't ever watch FoodHD (or HGTV for that matter), it sure is nice to have more choices.;)

Now bring on StarzHD, revive EncoreHD, and steal INHD1&2.:yes

I watch HGTV HD way more than I expected. Generation renovation, Dwell, and a few others are pretty cool. I like watching what people did to old building like an old garage for some car dealer turned into a home, freaking huge home at that. :)

I'll probably watch Food Network HD, but I would like to get more of the movie channels including the west coast. I do kind of miss that from cable.

Remember just because you don't like it doesn't mean others won't either. I probably wouldn't even notice if ESPN & ESPN2 disappeared from my line up, but I'm betting many of you would. :)

VinceT3 said:
...I probably wouldn't even notice if ESPN & ESPN2 disappeared from my line up, but I'm betting many of you would. :)

I look forward to FoodHd also. And I actually would miss ESPN_HD....asuming they ever actually showed something in HD

les017 said:
I look forward to FoodHd also. And I actually would miss ESPN_HD....asuming they ever actually showed something in HD

Word, cause a sports channel that shows sports in HD is utterly useless :rolleyes:

I would rather have a choice of 29 reruns in HD than the choice of no HD at all that I had two years ago. We were lucky to get 3 or four programs a week in HD.

I love food no different than any other back yard barbecue gourmet slinging spatula Hells Kitchen chef…..but I rather see Sci-Fi HD. Atlantis starts in 9 days!