Football Rule Changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
This is something I have thought about for a long time. I am not saying these changes should or shouldn't be made, just something to thing about. Of course your valued opinions are welcome.

NFL
1. Do away with the fair catch. Would make 4th down more exciting. It works great in the CFL.

2. Do away with the point after touchdown and award 7 points.

3. Keep the PAT, but move it back to make it at least a 30 yard kick to make it a challange. A successful fake PAT would award 2 points. Location of the 2 point conversion would remain the same.

4. Change points for field goals. The closer you kick, the less points, the farther out, more pionts. The amount of points awarded will depend on where the ball is actually kicked from. A fake field goal that is succesful would still be rewarded with 6 points and the PAT. The coach would have to made a decision on how many points he wants or needs.
A. Goal line to 30 yards, 1 point
B. 30 to 40 yards 2 points
C. 40 to 50 yards 3
D. Over 50 yards 4 points

5. Pass interference. 15 yards from the scrimage line, as in college.

6. Both teams should have the ball a least one time in overtime. If the 1st team that has the ball kicks a field goal (as in change #4)and makes it and the second teams kicks a field goal and ties it, keep playing. If the first team scores any type of points and the 2nd team scores more points when the have the ball, game over. All other rules in effect now will stay the same. In professional baseball, basketball and hockey both teams have a chance to score in overtime/extra innings, why not pro football.

7. Do away with "breaking the plain." The ball has to be touched down in the end zone as it was in the origional rules.
Hence the name, touchdown.

College
1. No fair catch as stated above.

2. A player with the ball goes down to the ground without contact from the other team is free to get up and keep going as in the NFL.

3. Overtime rule shoud be the same as the NFL has now or consider option #6 from above.

4. Both feet in bounds to be considered a completed pass.

That's the way I see it. I think it would put some excitment back into the game.

Last edited:
College
1. No fair catch as stated above.

2. A player with the ball goes down to the ground without contact from the other team is free to get up and keep going as in the NFL.

3. Overtime rule shoud be the same as the NFL has now or consider option #6 from above.

4. Both feet in bounds to be considered a completed pass.

That's the way I see it. I think it would put some excitment back into the game.

I disagree with the fair catch...leaves too much open to injury considering how many players are not experienced enough not to lead with their helmet still.

Same with #2 Don't agree with that..keep knees off ground simple

OT rules are fine cept for one thing in College - they are starting too damn close to the goal line and need to move back another 10 yards - this would force them to try harder to get a first down to continue on as where they are now is in most kickers FG range and just makes for a boring event.

#4...nope no change here either leave it as 1 foot in bounds

Another for college you didn't mention is celebration aspects - I see nothing wrong with a little team celebration at the end of a TD, they are taking the fun out of the game.

For the NFL, I agree wholeheartedly with #5. As for #6, I believe that's going to be the playoff OT format, unless the first team scores a TD.

I forgot about that one, good point.

Yeah when I say "team" I mean a few guys chest bumping and if they fall down on each other then ohh well its only eating play clock time so big deal if they clear the field fast enough - although I see nothing wrong with them jumping up into the stands at the endzone into some fans either as the fans support that nice endzone they just scored in anyway with a very expensive ticket so give back the experience a little!

College OT is way to close like DVR said, but why not move it to make it a challenge, move it to the 50 yard line, this way it takes at least a 1st down to kick a FG, unless you play in Denver that is, where a 70 yard kick is quite possible.

Go back to where a catch is a catch, you have possession and two feet down in the endzone, its a TD, NO you don't have to be able to go to the locker room safely for it to count.

Too much of the micro managing of the game, God forbid the ball moves in your arms, as long as you catch it, it's a catch.

Your saying to make a xtra point it goes back to be a 30 yard FG, so the line of scrimmage is now the 13 yard line instead of the 2 ?

I run a play from the 13 and it's only worth 2 points ?
That would definitely do away with the 2 point conversion.

Great input guys, that's what I was looking for.

3. Keep the PAT, but move it back to make it at least a 30 yard kick to make it a challange. A successful fake PAT would award 2 points. Location of the 2 point conversion would remain the same.

I really do like the idea of moving the PAT back, but I didn't give much consideration to the 2 point conversion until I was typing this up. Let's see if we can some up with something better.

Too much of the micro managing of the game, God forbid the ball moves in your arms, as long as you catch it, it's a catch.

I think this problem started with video replay and now they have become to percise. Video replay, sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate. Should be used like in hockey, for scoring plays only.

Last edited: