For how long do people keep their cell phones (in the US)?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
For 20.5 months in average, anywhere between 17.5 and 27.8 months...
Study: we're keeping our mobiles longer, despite sinking prices -- Engadget

The list of factors contributing to this increase is probably long and debatable.
But i think this proves that carriers get what they want: an average plan is 2 years and after 18 months people start getting "incentivized" to get penalty-free another handset. And some 2 months later they go for it...

I betcha in Canada this number would be some 30 months since the lock-in period is most of the time 3 years...

Diogen.

Phones change faster now. Used to be as long as your old one was in good shape, no need to change it. I had a moto razr for 5 years since it never stopped working. Now 2 iPhones in 2 years...

I upgraded my phone every 18-months for many years, but I have been using my current phone the past 3+ years since I was grandfathered into a really great plan. It's pretty bad when a lot of the donated phones were better than my former state-of-the-art smartphone. Anyway, getting a new phone on Friday...no way this one makes it two-years.

Phones change faster now. Used to be as long as your old one was in good shape, no need to change it. I had a moto razr for 5 years since it never stopped working. Now 2 iPhones in 2 years...
Well, the report claims that the exact opposite is true on average...

Diogen.

the study found that the length of time customers keep their traditional wireless cell phone has increased by 17 percent from 2009, with the average customer holding onto their phone for around 20.5 months.

And to some extent it's Engadget's fault! ;)
If it wasn't for the leaked reports about new upcoming phones, some of us would've upgraded sooner! :D

It is hard to pull the trigger on a new phone knowing that there is a better phone just around the corner...

Wheres Rocky at I am sure he will have a comment about how I change phones more then my underwear :D....actually he is right, I switch phones ALOT...it has slowed since I got android, as I love the phones...but I am sure I will go back to blackberry to try the new browser....but for me I am constantly switching I would say upwards of one a month.

As always, I'm the anchor here. My present phone just had its 5th birthday! I need a phone for just that, nothing more. So all the other capabilities are lost on me, and not something I'll support at this time, either in equipment/technology churn or monthly fees.

This current phone also has 2 Purple Hearts - I twice dropped it into my swimming pool and was able to bring it back from completely dead both times! We are now bonded...!

This current phone also has 2 Purple Hearts - I twice dropped it into my swimming pool and was able to bring it back from completely dead both times! We are now bonded...!
Except your phone now hates you and is out to extract a pound of flesh after you tried to drown it - twice! It brings back memories of a Twilight Zone episode featuring Telly Savalas and Talking Tina. :D

Last edited:
Wheres Rocky at I am sure he will have a comment about how I change phones more then my underwear :D....actually he is right, I switch phones ALOT...it has slowed since I got android, as I love the phones...but I am sure I will go back to blackberry to try the new browser....but for me I am constantly switching I would say upwards of one a month.
You change phones more often than Liz Taylor changes husbands... :p

I used to go 20-24 months until a bad run with Moto Razor, XV6800(HTC), Storm 1, BB Tour. I had 4 phones in 4 years. Luckily VZW worked with me because the phones I had failed repeatedly. Now I have a rock solid Droid X.

I used to go 20-24 months until a bad run with Moto Razor, XV6800(HTC), Storm 1, BB Tour. I had 4 phones in 4 years. Luckily VZW worked with me because the phones I had failed repeatedly. Now I have a rock solid Droid X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)