For Those Considering Leaving Dish...

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
For those considering leaving Dish think again.

I'm currently helping my parents understand their DirecTV bill and ways it can be reduced.

They have (DirecTV):
Lowest Package: Choice with 140 channels $56
DVR Fee: $7
FOX NY/LA: $3.50
SD DVR Receiver (paid over $125 and its a leased receiver)
Plus taxes monthly bill is around $72 a month

I get (Dish Network):
Lowest Package: Top 120 with over 120 channels $39.99
FREE HD channels
DVR Fee: $6
Currently have 3 months of HD Platinum and Starz for FREE
HD DVR Dual Receiver (never paid a dime for it)
Plus taxes monthly bill is around $48 a month

I pay $24 less per month and have the best HD DVR available, FREE HD channels plus often get lots of free 3 month promotions from time to time.

Uh OK, well I have DirecTV & I get FREE HD access as well. Many existing D* customers have been getting their HD fees waived for 2 years. (it will most likely be eliminated for ALL D* subs by then anyway)

I have 3 HD DVR's & didn't pay ANY upfront fees for them as well - & oh BTW, their SD DVR has no monthly fee, just like yours is, so I have NO idea what the point of bringing up the "leased" part is? (the 1st leased receiver on D* is always FREE, just like yours is... )
If they want to upgrade to HD, there should be no problem with them also getting a FREE HD upgrade. (& the fee waived as I pointed out)

I don't even pay a DVR fee (lifetimer here) :)

They're paying for FOX DNS, while you aren't - why??? If they have local channels thru D*, why would they even need FOX DNS?

You're also getting a LOT less "real" channels than they are - a more fair comparison would be between their pkg & AT200; but then it makes this post, well, less useful... :rolleyes: DirecTV does offer a comparable pkg (Select Choice) for $40 I believe, but you have to call a CSR to ask for it. If you do a search over at the D* forum, someone should have the lineup listed.

The point is - sometimes DISH is cheaper, sometimes DirecTV is - but at least compare apples to apples when you make a comparison commercial... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can have your parents call and threaten to cancel. The retention CSR can provide the Select Choice package Dishrich mentioned, and they would not be under a 2 yr contract like they would as new customers with Dish. I changed to Dish in February because I don't watch too much tv, and as long as I have Discovery, History and a few kids channels I'm fine, so I changed to Dish for the 120 package. Unfortunately I had Dish installed and then called D* to cancel, that's when I was informed of the Select Choice and it would've fit my needs and I wouldn't be under a contract with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)