For those of you wanting HD now!!!

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Found this earlier today. For those of you wanting to jump ship cause you thing Charlie is dragging his feet on HD or for those of you who already have left Dish for Directv because of their promises in all their ads, all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DIRECTV Not Likely to Add HDTV Soon
The satcaster probably won't boost its high-def lineup until this summer.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 22) -- DIRECTV is currently running a TV commercial promoting its plan to offer up to 1,500 High-Definition TV channels. However, if you're a current subscriber, it may be awhile before you see any additions to the DIRECTV HD lineup.

DIRECTV now carries seven national HDTV channels, in addition to high-def feeds of the major networks in selected cities. However, the satcaster is not expected to offer any new HD channels until this summer, with the possible exception of one or two. (And don't even bet on that.)

The reason: Lack of satellite space.

Starting late next month, DIRECTV is launching four new satellites over the next two years that will enable it to provide up to 150 national HD channels and local HD in most cities by 2007. (The 1,500 high-def channel number in the commercial is referring to the total number of local high-def channels DIRECTV will deliver by 2007; viewers will not actually get 1,500 HD channels. They will get their local channels in high-def and DIRECTV's national HD channels, which could be 150.)

But until the first satellite is operational, which could be as early as June, DIRECTV simply doesn't have the capacity to boost its high-def offering. (Adding a high-def channel requires more satellite space than a non-HD network.) DIRECTV plans to use that first satellite this summer to provide high-def feeds of local channels in 12 cities.

To illustrate DIRECTV's limited capacity, the satcaster has announced that it will eventually add the high-def version of ESPN 2, which launched in January. However, sources tells TVPredictions.com that DIRECTV may be forced to wait until late summer or early fall before it can add ESPN 2 HD.

Adding to its HD woes, the satcaster plans to use the MPEG-4 compression technology with its new satellites. Consequently, current high-def owners will need a new dish and receiver to get the local high-def signals this summer and, eventually, all high-def channels from DIRECTV. The satcaster has yet to announce when the new dish and receiver will be available, or if it will offer the new equipment at a discount or no cost.

This is bad news as Dishnetwork needs the competition to beat them badly so Dishnetwork will itself add more HD.

Competition is good. I though voom would cause this but even with voom ,but DIsh and Direct only have a couple of HD channels.

I guess its back to whats Compelling HD as Charlie says.

I always thought it was the summer before any would be added. Who said it was sooner? DTV even said it would not be until they got their 1st 2 sats up early '05 and said the summer was likely with the full 1500 channels being after all 4 were up.

that's why this "prediction" is so stupid. He just turns press release and obvious info to make him seem like some kinda genius predictor...

slamminc11,

space way 1 IS AT SEA LAUNCH

space way 2 is within 2 months of delivery

these sats are the highest powered birds EVER launched

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ergen and dish nowork are being investigated by the SEC

ergens nowork 61.5 and 110 sats are failing

i dont see anything even close to the spaceway sats coming from the jr. league!!

the ad says "capable of broadcasting 1500 HD channels" , it did not say you were getting 1500, but it is still 1500 more than charlies sorry *ss is even close to delivering!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

dragon

dragon002 said:
slamminc11,

space way 1 IS AT SEA LAUNCH

space way 2 is within 2 months of delivery

these sats are the highest powered birds EVER launched

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ergen and dish nowork are being investigated by the SEC

ergens nowork 61.5 and 110 sats are failing

i dont see anything even close to the spaceway sats coming from the jr. league!!

the ad says "capable of broadcasting 1500 HD channels" , it did not say you were getting 1500, but it is still 1500 more than charlies sorry *ss is even close to delivering!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

dragon

E* already has a few satellites up in the sky that they can turn on to provide more channels. Why they're not using all the capacity is up to E* but as they say, they're waiting for all the cards to be put on the table before deciding which route to add new HD channels.

And here's a tidbit of info. According to some sources, the new DirecTV HD programs will be on a 4-LNBF dish. Now that'll be a monster to install.

Both D* and E* know that the future is HDTV and one's being very public and the other very quiet. E* also has new satellites being launched and have V*'s slot to use if it gets approved. We won't know who's the real loser until the churns between the two companies have settled down.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
And here's a tidbit of info. According to some sources, the new DirecTV HD programs will be on a 4-LNBF dish. Now that'll be a monster to install.

And the superdish is not a monster to install? It only gives you 3 sats. Compare the Superdish to a Phase 3 D* dish. I found the phase 3 much easier to install. I doubt it would be much harder than the super dish to install the 4 LNBF dish.

Yeah this should not surprise anyone at all! Direct or Dish will add HD sometime folks jsut half to waite. I have seen that add and yes it real misleading and most times their is always a catch. Right now we know for fact that Dish has put up two new birds in late 2004. So right now they already have new things up and going and seems like Direct will be adding new birds soon also. Overall I think folks should go with what is best for them in their area where they live due to that will most case play a factor. I agree though I get a kick out of the add kinda like AOL adds. They are the largest ISP but they are not the most used. Most folks use local ISP more than any others which is the best thing to do. Anyway glad someone brought this up very good point and the truth.

summer is not all that far away....
If Dish needs more channels, why not get rid of all those Sirius and CD channels and we all listen to our CD's or the radio if we want music.....

Annie2005 said:
summer is not all that far away....
If Dish needs more channels, why not get rid of all those Sirius and CD channels and we all listen to our CD's or the radio if we want music.....

Because those channels pad the numbers, besides the scattered bandwidth these channels use wouldn't make a drop in the HD bucket.

NightRyder

HD channels require loads of bandwidth. Right now E* does not have the the bandwidth at the 119 or 110 satellite locations to add any more HD, period. Bandwidth will not magically appear, no SD channels, music or otherwise will be removed to make room for HD. If you want more HD the current choices are, OTA if you are lucky enough to live where it can be received, cable - again if your cable system offers HD etc., VOOM - at least for another week. I would add D* if you live in an O&O area or prefer Universal HD to TNT-HD. That's it folks, at least until the end of the year. Make your choice, pay your money and wait and see what happens.

Oops...Should mention there are some other options North of the border. ;)

Mods...This thread should probably be moved to the E* HD Forum

NightRyder

>> Oops...Should mention there are some other options North of the border. <<

The only logical solution to the mess our bought and paid for politicains have created.

I already have tons of HD. All of the VaVa Voom HD channels plus about 15 more via OTA. None require the no longer used E* Dish still on the back of my house. :)

Please don't create a branching off-topic discussion talking about voom in this thread

thanks

Thanks for your explanation of the audio channel/bandwidth issue, NightRyder. Part of the reason I stay with AT120, even though I watch little SD anymore, is for the audio only channels. I'd much rather put one of those on in the morning then fumble through my CD collection or spend hours creating MP3s on my computer.

Now, I remember why I haven't dropped by in a year. Phew! More whiners than winners.

By the way, dudes, there are dishes out there with capacities of up to 16 lnb's. Satellite DX'ers have been using them in Europe for a spell.

What Mr. Swann forgot about was DirecTV 8, which is planned to go up in May. DirecTV 8 has both Ku and Ka capabilities. The unknown is what exactly will the Ka part of DirecTV 8 be used for. I think it will be used for new national HD channels and for NFL-ST HD games. Just my educated guess... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)