For those of you who got CBS-HD...

SignGuyDino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Fletcher, NC
After faxing in the waiver from my local station (I'm getting mine today), how long does it take for DN to actually turn CBS HD on?

The tech yesterday said 30-45 days. Hopefully he has to be wrong. :eek: :mad:

I got it before 30 days, when you see CBS SD, then call DN so they can turn on CBSHD

SignGuy

Are you in an area where your CBS is Owned & Operated (O&O)??
I'm assuming yes and the reason you need a waiver is becasue there is another CBS in the area that required the waiver, correct??

Once they receive the waiver, they should turn CBS-HD on right away.

You will get CBS SD from N.Y. or L.A. The CBSHD channel will be from N.Y. or L.A. ,you will need a dish pointing to 61.5 or 148 satellite.

Al O

You do not need CBS SD from NY or LA to receive CBS HD

There are 2 ways to receive CBS-HD
-You are in one of the 17 CBS O&O areas (the ones that were gone in the Viacom dispute) and you cant be within range of a non O&O affiliate. You would get CBS-HD along with your local CBS (Minneapolis for example)
-You are in a white area and have CBS-SD already due to distants

Thanks guys.

Yes, I have the dishes needed, and yes I was asked to send a waiver and I would qualify. I called WSPA of Spartanburg SC and they told me they mailed it two days ago, so I should get it today.

I was wondering how long it took you guys that had CBSHD to get it turned on. I don't mind missing the NCAA's (ok I do), but I really want to see the Masters in HD and show it off to my golf nut dad.

If I was home, I'd post the fax number for newbies like me...I'll post it later...

I'm sorry, I'm at work...it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the fax number up for newbies to have to fax to once they get their waivers. I don't think the DN page has it.

Since I qualify because I am in a O&O market, it took like 15 minutes (too bad it goes bye bye on 4/14...I have an old 5000)

Do you have CBS via distants right now? If you don't I can't see how they would turn on CBS-HD because you don't qualify via the 2 different qualifications.

No, I get just the locals. I'm afraid all I know is I asked specifically about CBS-HD and after being on hold for 5 minutes the tech said I did qualify but had to get a waiver. I did call WSPA and the lady there said she has been mailing out a few from my town lately, so I presume I qualify.

weird.....

because the only way you can get CBS-HD is if your CBS is O&O or you can get CBS via distants.

Whats the worst thing that can happen...Dish denies it?

Iceberg said:
weird.....

because the only way you can get CBS-HD is if your CBS is O&O or you can get CBS via distants.

Whats the worst thing that can happen...Dish denies it?

If the local CBS non owned grants a waiver you can get CBS distant SD, HD or both. A waiver is a waiver.

I currently am having a distant station fax a waiver to echostar as of 3/25/04. I am waiting for dish to call me and tell me that the CBS-HD feed is up and going.

FYI. I contacted my affliliate about the waiver and they forwarded my request to a contact person at echostar and they are doing it all for me. But, no HD feed yet...stay tuned.

Odd, DN told me to have them send me a letter and then fax it to them...

I did say in my letter that I cannot pick up WSPA on my UHF antenna.

This is qualification #2:

QUALIFICATION METHOD #2
You must live in an area that does not receive the broadcasts of local stations in any market area (a so called "White Area")

You must subscribe to any one our distant network packages (these include: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New York, and Los Angeles). If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

That's odd because I don't believe I have these channels. But if they give me CBS-HD anyway I'll just shut the heck up and enjoy...

I am in FL, I get both my local CBS SD (not O&O) and the NY CBS SD (Yankees games) The CBSHD from NY. If you are already approved DN should turn it on right way. But keep calling them every day if you need to, they will not turn CBSHD if you don't call them.

SignGuyDino said:
Odd, DN told me to have them send me a letter and then fax it to them...

I did say in my letter that I cannot pick up WSPA on my UHF antenna.

This is qualification #2:

QUALIFICATION METHOD #2
You must live in an area that does not receive the broadcasts of local stations in any market area (a so called "White Area")

You must subscribe to any one our distant network packages (these include: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New York, and Los Angeles). If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

That's odd because I don't believe I have these channels. But if they give me CBS-HD anyway I'll just shut the heck up and enjoy...

You will be able to order it up ala carte for $1.50 monthly.

My local CBS station mailed me the waiver. I called Dish and got the number to fax it to. Dish phoned me 2 days later to set it up, took about 10 minutes for it to appear. Try going directly to the channel number rather than waiting for the guide to update.

I now have CBD-HD after two phone calls

It was simple and fast.

I. I emailed by local affiliate regarding a waiver. They forwarded the request to the approporiate people
2. They called me and got the info they needed, they faxed the waiver to dish
3. Dish called me the next day, helped me acquire the CBS-HD signal over the phone, and presto HD.
4. Total time it took, a few minutes for each day.

I am impressed with Dish on this service. They were fast and very courteous!

--shich

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts