This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

For those that have moved, would you take the risk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Assuming you wanted to order a sports ppv (cant do it online, or the automated call system) and didnt want to take the time to call and talk to a CSR, would you hook a phone line up for a few minutes and order it by remote?

I doubt it would matter, just wondering if anyone had been "caught" this way

Thoughts?

OK the one way you can do this is if you sign up with a VOIP service that lets you pick a personalized number. With Vonage for example you can have two lines one with a "local" number and one with say a number from the metro area where you have "moved"

Not that I am advocating this but it does work.

I had considered the VOIP idea before, but I dont really need it. Thanks though.

I was just wondering how often the receivers actually "called in" when hooked up. Is it immediate? Or once a day (at some preset time)

I don't see why you couldn't do it through the D* website. That is the only way I've ever ordered PPV. I have never virtually moved though.

PS: My avatar looks especially scary today

I don't see why you couldn't do it through the D* website. That is the only way I've ever ordered PPV. I have never virtually moved though.

PS: My avatar looks especially scary today
I should have clarified. PPV college football games arent available for order through the D* website or through the AUTOMATED phone system The only ways to order them are to call and speak with a CSR (for a fee) or use the remote (free, but you have to have a phone line).

I usually just call and order it, most of the time they waive the fee, but lately it has turned into a serious hassle. I was on the phone with them 4 different times a few weeks ago trying to get things fixed after a mix up with ppv. Just looking for a better way to do it

I was just wondering how often the receivers actually "called in" when hooked up. Is it immediate? Or once a day (at some preset time)

I can't tell on the newer units because they don't make that 'click' sound that the older RCA units used to make when dialing. The older units called about once a month. I have since enabled ethernet but remained connected via phone for caller ID service. I wonder how sophisticated their databases are; if your receiver calls from a different number would they then become suspicious? I know my receivers are hooked up to different phone jacks throughout the house (with two different phone numbers because some of the jacks only cover my main home phone number) & they have never said anything.

I can order PPV via ethernet connection.

Well I tried this. No luck. I even tried to hook up the phone line, it wont even give me the option to purchase it (I think it is simply because it is a college football ppv versus a regualr one)

Guess I will have to call them....again

Last edited:
Well I tried this. No luck. I even tried to hook up the phone line, it wont even give me the option to purchase it (I think it is simply because it is a college football ppv versus a regualr one)

Guess I will have to call them....again

Does it give you a message? I was unable to order ppv with the remote via ethernet and phone line. I was getting a message that said "check phone line or internet connection" or something like that. I had both hooked up. I called and they told me that the interactive ppv flag was not enabled on my account. after they fixed that i can order with the remote.

I think the individual college games (not part of the gameplan package, or purchased individually outside the gameplan package) have to be ordered through a CSR. They don't have an option to order on the receiver, web, etc. because the system won't do it. Possibly a system limitation for games that are sold via a package as well as individually.

NFL-ST is the same way, they sell it by the week (way overpriced ~$50/wk), but it can only be purchased by calling in.

I understand why they do it to an extent, to make more money off of the phone fee. Just makes one a little irritated when I can order it online or through the remote with my E* setup, but cant through D*. This is one area D* lags on.

In any case, I got it, and they waived the fee again

No there wasnt a message, there just wasnt an option to order it. They say its a "special event" which is bull. Its all for the phone fee.

msmith - myself & many other subs I know that have "moved" HAVE had phone lines hooked up for YEARS with NO problems. As long as that phone# is on your account, it makes no difference. Just hook it up & order away...

I don't think they have it set to not allow orders to try and capture phone order fees. They would sell more if it could be ordered via remote, guaranteed.

I think it is a software/system limitation, that they can't do an individual PPV and a season package premium on the same program/channel at the same time. So their only way to activate it is on their CSR system.

Just a theory, but I'm sure it's not for phone line fees.

Especially since they wave them most of the time.

I agree that they waive them most of the times to the people that ask. I have never had them just offer to waive them though. I always ask, and they tell me that this is a one time credit (which it isnt).

It may not be for that, and it may be a simple sytem limitation. Just seems odd that E* can offer this and D* cant. No big deal though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.