For those thinking 5G will fix the rural broadband gap

The realities of rural 5G deployment in the US | ZDNet

I am thinking LEO satellite is looking more likely to fill in the gaps for rural areas these days. Even AT&T FirstNet, which was supposed to cover so many more rural areas, seems to not be all that was promised.

BED01AF9-A8BA-4BD0-A602-4009DCDF671E.jpeg

Reactions: FTA4PA and ncted
I have to wonder what people with LOS problems on geosynchronous satellites are looking at reception-wise for LEO satellites that are constantly moving.

I have to wonder what people with LOS problems on geosynchronous satellites are looking at reception-wise for LEO satellites that are constantly moving.

With more than 10K satellites, there may be more than one nearly overhead at all times. Here's the SpaceX Starlink constellation.

Starlink-4425-sat-network-animation-Mark-Handley.gif

With more than 10K satellites, there may be more than one nearly overhead at all times.
Not everyone has a clear view of "nearly overhead". I'd guess that most who live in single family dwellings that aren't "shaded" by trees are probably good to go, but I'm thinking about those who live in places that are obscured from above or where having an outdoor antenna of any kind is difficult/prohibited.

If this is some manner of MIMO setup, users will need simultaneous access to multiple satellites.

The realities of rural 5G deployment in the US | ZDNet

I am thinking LEO satellite is looking more likely to fill in the gaps for rural areas these days. Even AT&T FirstNet, which was supposed to cover so many more rural areas, seems to not be all that was promised.
its impossible for 5G to cover rural areas, this was ALREADY accomplished by satellite internet, and most rural places should in my opinion should not even exist as a livable location anyways. many probably couldnt afford a 5G compatible device. Where i live now used to be "semi-rural" we had everything but we lacked broadband so before coax drops were done we had wildblue and dishnet internet and tv. Oh boy were the bills high (over 300$)

It's just flyover Country I guess.

Back in 2001 when I was living in Dayton Ohio and getting ready to move to Kansas City, people asked me why on earth would I move here. "Are the streets paved? Do the buffalo roam freely? Why don't you move to LA?" Not joking.

And yet...

2FB863BA-3CAD-4AF6-86D8-3A1FD1F4675E.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)