For those who would like to Track AMC14

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Orbital Mechanics

I don't really understand all of this but this site goes into much detail about Orbital Mechanics. Another thread said the maximum altitude of the orbit right now is about 17,900 miles. Also since the booster cutout 2 minutes and 13 seconds before planned it is in a fairly eliptical orbit that is still inclined.

I'm sure I don't understand all the math here.

Basic of Space Flight: Orbital Mechanics

Is all of this done by the on board thrusters??

Is any of this being controlled on the ground??

If so by who??

I know I am not the only one that wanted to ask these questions.;)

Is all of this done by the on board thrusters??

Is any of this being controlled on the ground??

If so by who??

I know I am not the only one that wanted to ask these questions.;)

As mentioned by Smith the orbital charteristics were posted. They probably are not using any thruster power (unless just to keep some antennas oriented). Its low point is to far up to have the orbit decay rapidly. Its orbit will probably not change much until they decide what to do, hopefully raising it to its original planned location.

Tracking AMC-14 with NORAD data

Cool tracking tool, but probably a few days behind. NORAD data lags reality by a few days. Might want to call it "kinda close to real time."

Via Inside Satellite TV (subscription):

Technicians are seemingly breathing a little easier over last weekend s lost Americom AMC-14 satellite.

While the consensus seems to be that they are not out of the woods just yet, the word from satellite operator SES, and its client Echostar, is that confidence is high and that AMC-14 can fulfil at least a good portion of its HDTV mission for the Dish Network.

Echostar, in a statement, says plans to expand their HDTV offering to subscribers remain on track despite the launch problems for the satellite. Dish Network customers can be reassured that the expansion of our HD programming over the next few months will proceed as planned, Dish Network boss Charlie Ergen said in a statement. We are fortunate to have two more satellites scheduled for launch later this year to continue our HD rollout and reach our year-end goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels.

Echostar EVP Jim DeFranco, in a video conference with retailers late Tuesday night, said the company s HD video position was full steam ahead and that he was optimistic the delayed satellite would get to its correct position. Echostar s Dish Network remains committed to adding new HD channels next month (April).

The official word is that engineers from SES Americom and Lockheed Martin are exploring options to bring the satellite into proper orbit, which could include firing its on-board rockets. The end result would be a shortened life-span for the satellite, but at least a happier client in the meantime.

But there's another element which must be factored in to the equation what the insurers want to do, although few suggest that they would want to de-orbit a craft that could well provide three or more years of operational life.​

The thing must be toast. I think we might see a news story shortly. Another opportunity to shoot the thing out of the sky? It is under 1700 miles now and falling fast!

ROFL It is amazing how folks will post demonstrating their incredible ignorance of even basic orbital mechanics by their posts in this thread. Maybe there like the one guy in another thread on this site who thought going to engineering school would make him stupid :D

Actually, My wife and I are both Engineers (Chemical, Environmental). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a Astrophysicist. I was just saying that since I can't see any of the data from past orbital passes how do we know what/if anything is changing?

Has AMC-14 Satellite started moving toward its correct orbit?

Hi all, i'm bummed that AMC-14 ended up in the wrong spot but have read a lot about it being possibly saved.

As an amateur rocket/satellite enthusiast i have been trying to follow the progress of AMC-14. I have not seen any articles or press releases to say that SES-Americom has started the process of moving it, but i found a great website that tracks satellites, and it does appear to be moving. At least from what I can tell it clearly seems to be rising in altitude, but i suppose this could be related to some sort of elliptical orbit issue, rather then actually moving towards its target. The tracking appears to be in approximate real time.

So, can anyone with more brains then I take a look at this link and comment on what they think this data is trying to tell us?

Here is a link to AMC-14:

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING

And here below is a link to Echostar 3 (at 61.5) as reference toward where we would like it to be. (they both say 'live real time ...' but the links are different)

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING

To make it simple:

Put (or envision) a piece of paper on a soft surface like cork. Put two push pins in. Just for this example, put them more or less in the center of the paper about 2-3 inches apart. Tie a long string between the two of them- maybe 6-7 inches long. Pull the string slightly taut. Now take a pencil and use it to hold the string taut. Draw a full "circle" with this. You are actually drawing an ellipse.

Picture one of the push pins as the earth. You've now described an elliptical orbit such as AMC-14 is following. You can also consider the selected pin as the sun, and the orbit being for one of the planets. Using different length strings and different distances between the pins, you can draw other orbits. Objects move "faster" relative to the earth when closer to the earth, "slowing" as they move further away.

The other pin? Well, you can say to people that's "me" since everything revolves around "me." :p;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts