For those who've ever wondered how Dish refurbishes their receivers...

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So it looks like Dish is switching to a more efficient way of printing and processing labels for returned and shipped receivers. The manufacturer of the new printers they're using, SATO America, made a video of how this new label system helps Dish ship their refurbished receivers a lot more quicker. For some this might not be the most exciting video to watch, but I do think it is interesting to say the least.

Video Link: SATO America | Bar Code Printer, Barcode Printer, Thermal Transfer Ribbon, RFID Printer
For more info: SATO America | Bar Code Printer, Barcode Printer, Thermal Transfer Ribbon, RFID Printer

14 million customers and they refurbish 6.4 million receivers per year. seems like a really high number of receivers to refurb every year.

Good video. I just received and sent back a 612 receiver. the only problem I encountered was they used a gray foam for the ends of the receiver and the replacement they had sent me the ends had come off and the receiver was rattling around loose in the box shipping label worked just like in video.I used the foam ends and some additional packing foam to send the broken receiver back.The new receiver worked and is still working today.

Interesting video, I wish the video showed how they tested the receivers, which is a very neat process it itself. :)
Some time ago I saw a video on dnfyi (ch101) on just that .

I have to give Dish credit for getting replacement receivers out the door fast.

Well, we know why so many HDDs fail soon after receiving them. That lady that puts them in the box must have learned she could save a second by dropping them, rather than setting them in the box!! :D:D:D

Capture.JPG

The receivers that I have upgraded were received in two days. One thing that I have noticed is that they are shipped UPS. The return side of the labels that I have received were sent back via FedEx.

One of the dirty secrets of set top box exchanges is that the returned set top boxes need to be fumigated before they can be tested and refurbished. The warmth of the box when powered up provides a cozy home for roaches.

At the MSO I used to work for the first thing the CSR at the counter did when a customer handed them a box was to place it in a plastic bag and secure the top. The offices did this to prevent from getting roach infested. The boxes were then sent to the warehouse and placed into an airtight room and fumigated in bulk.

While most boxes were not infested with roaches enough were that fumigation was a very necessary step. With the way people complain about getting a boxes with cosmetic imperfections you can imagine what their reaction would be if they got a replacement box and a family of roaches scurried out while they were hooking it up.

The receivers that I have upgraded were received in two days. One thing that I have noticed is that they are shipped UPS. The return side of the labels that I have received were sent back via FedEx.
The UPS/FedEx thing surprised me too. I don't trust UPS. Several times my packages arrived in such a state that it was clear someone had opened the package and then resealed it. I have had damaged goods delivered and I have gotten orders from Amazon that were missing items that appeared on the packing list. My daughter used UPS to ship some of her things when she moved from Washington state to California. The junky stuff all arrived, but several valuable items were never seen again. Both Dish and Amazon ought to drop UPS like a hot potato.

Two weeks ago my ancient 622 (it was one of the earliest ever shipped) finally died. I was lucky. We didn't have anything too important on the internal hard drive. I guess because they insisted I let the re-boot process run overnight before believing the unit was dead, the next morning the CSR was very nice and gave me OVERNIGHT shipping at no charge. For once there was no problem with the UPS delivery. The unit died on a Wednesday night and we were back up and running Friday afternoon. :)

jimdandyvi said:
One of the dirty secrets of set top box exchanges is that the returned set top boxes need to be fumigated before they can be tested and refurbished. The warmth of the box when powered up provides a cozy home for roaches.

At the MSO I used to work for the first thing the CSR at the counter did when a customer handed them a box was to place it in a plastic bag and secure the top. The offices did this to prevent from getting roach infested. The boxes were then sent to the warehouse and placed into an airtight room and fumigated in bulk.

While most boxes were not infested with roaches enough were that fumigation was a very necessary step. With the way people complain about getting a boxes with cosmetic imperfections you can imagine what their reaction would be if they got a replacement box and a family of roaches scurried out while they were hooking it up.

Let me just confirm there have been many times where I moved a receiver and hundreds of babies and a few big suckers crawled from between the vent slits. ******* gross....... People are disgusting. I watched a cust whose house was a half foot in trash step back onto a big ol' glob of **** and I had to restrain from bolting.

Sent from my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
sparc said:
14 million customers and they refurbish 6.4 million receivers per year. seems like a really high number of receivers to refurb every year.

That number also includes upgrades.

If the average customer has two receivers then that is 28 million receivers. 6/28 is almost 1 in 5 customers. If the average customerr has three receivers then that is 42 million receivers. 6/42 is 1 in 7 customers. My guess is the number is between 2 and 3 receivers (2.5) is the average. So 1 in 6 customers has an upgrade or replacement every year or each customer replaces or upgrades once every 6 years. That is not all that bad in this industry. I am sure the numbers used to be a bit higher than this a while back. This is just receivers and not counting lnb's and parts right?

Let me just confirm there have been many times where I moved a receiver and hundreds of babies and a few big suckers crawled from between the vent slits. ******* gross....... People are disgusting. I watched a cust whose house was a half foot in trash step back onto a big ol' glob of **** and I had to restrain from bolting.

You had to restrain? I'd of been out of there before the customer looked down at his feet. It is a health hazard just being in a house like that. I would have had my office call and tell them I would not be back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts