For those who've ever wondered how Dish refurbishes their receivers...

Interesting video, I wish the video showed how they tested the receivers, which is a very neat process it itself. :)

Their testing of the receiver is not perfect and that you'll get a good one as I bought a new 322 receiver and at first couldn't get the smart card to work, but it fixed itself later, but Dish had already send me another one under warranty, so when it came in I finished installing it and right off it reset itself three times within two hours of watching TV. Needless to say it's going back and I'll keep my original one as it was not a refurnished unit.
What really bugs me the most now is I have to drive a total of 46 miles to take it to the nearest Fedex location. UPS delivered it and at least they would have stop back and picked it up with no additional cost, with Fedex that's not an option.

The receivers that I have upgraded were received in two days. One thing that I have noticed is that they are shipped UPS. The return side of the labels that I have received were sent back via FedEx.

Thats the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

Its nothing more than confusion on part of the customer. I can't tell you how many times my UPS driver has had customers try to return Dish boxes from him that have the Fedex label on them, on the assumption that if UPS delivered it, then UPS must be the ones to call to pick it up.

Besides that, as a retailer its a pain for me to call Fedex to do a pickup, where as UPS stops by everyday.

It makes absolutly no sense to use 2 seperate companies, as im sure UPS or Fedex would be glad to make some sort of deal with Dish for all of their business.

The only thing I can think of that its easier to tell what direction the package is on. If its UPS its going out, or Fedex if its coming back.

As far as the actual RMA process, why is it Directv ships out all new equipment where as Dish tries to pawn off referbished equipment whenever they can?

The subscriber numbers don't lie, when they are loosing customers you get referb equipment.

Thats the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

Its nothing more than confusion on part of the customer. I can't tell you how many times my UPS driver has had customers try to return Dish boxes from him that have the Fedex label on them, on the assumption that if UPS delivered it, then UPS must be the ones to call to pick it up.

Besides that, as a retailer its a pain for me to call Fedex to do a pickup, where as UPS stops by everyday.

It makes absolutly no sense to use 2 seperate companies, as im sure UPS or Fedex would be glad to make some sort of deal with Dish for all of their business.

The only thing I can think of that its easier to tell what direction the package is on. If its UPS its going out, or Fedex if its coming back.

It's called leverage, you should know Charlie better than I do. You don't want ONE contractor providing a required service for your corporation, you use two and have them both compete with one another to keep the contract they have with one day hoping to be the sole contractor.

I'll use my V6 Toyota as an example, from the Factory, the drivers side bank of the engine uses Denso branded spark plugs, the Passenger side uses NGK branded plugs, that way NGK or Denso can't say to Toyota were raising our rates effective immediately, what you gonna do about it, or should something happen at Denso's factory where they can't meet the demand of making Toyota plugs, then the whole Toyota Engine and car assembly process stops because they gotta find a new plug manufacturer. So in Dish's case if something happens at UPS or they try to raise their rates, Charlie will just give everything to FedEx temporarily.

As far as the actual RMA process, why is it Directv ships out all new equipment where as Dish tries to pawn off referbished equipment whenever they can?

The subscriber numbers don't lie, when they are loosing customers you get referb equipment.
And I'm certain a lot of the "flaky on delivery" stories we read about here are because of refurbs that aren't really refurbed all that well.

And I'm certain a lot of the "flaky on delivery" stories we read about here are because of refurbs that aren't really refurbed all that well.
But after you put up with a mountain of aggravation they seem to always, eventually, stand by their agreement and send you another refurb

Yes, and I had to drive about 40 miles to find a store (3rd one I tried ) that would take this type of Fed Express return, rather than 2 miles to the local UPS store. Might as well returned it to the repair factory itself which was less than 60 miles. I could have charged Dish less than Fed Express charged. This is really getting cheap on Dish's part.

The receivers that I have upgraded were received in two days. One thing that I have noticed is that they are shipped UPS. The return side of the labels that I have received were sent back via FedEx.

Guess I should give Dish and UPS credit where do. I live about 60 miles from a repair center and both receivers were sent out the same nights I called and got them by UPS the next afternoons. Ordered a remote from Dish last night online (a holiday) and it just arrived. Now, if I could just figure out an easy way to return the defective items.