Forced to buy receiver, now need replacement

derekcentrico

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Florida
Okay, my grandparents let my aunt and her four kids move in. They have six TV's and DISH only leases for up to 4. We bought an old 322 Duo to handle the other load.

But, we want to replace the 322 Duo we bought with a Duo DVR. We'd like to move the SD Duo DVR 625 into the rooms that use the 322 Duo.

Then, we would like to purchase a Duo DVR with HD capability. However, my grandparents don't have that much money to spend. Dish wouldn't upgrade without a $150 fee and contract extension. The fee is not worth paying to also have an extension IMO.

Does anyone out there have any (working, in good-shape) model of a Duo HD DVR that they want to unload at a decent price? If at all possible I'd like to stay under the $250 range. It does not have to be the latest ViP 722.

If you buy off eBay be sure you get the R00# and S19# and call DISH to be sure there is no balance/ it is not leased and it has been released for sale.

They are setup for HD. They have a HD DUO DVR 722 already setup. The system was installed one year ago today. I don't know the actual models of outdoor components or switches, but I'm willing to assume it was the latest equipment.

That I realize and do not object to paying the monthly fee, price-wise. My key problem is that they want an extra $100, originally $150, to upgrade ON TOP OF a contract extension of 2 years.

I'm just trying to find a cheaper, more economical solution for my grandparents (who consequently are in poor health and lacking extra bucks) to do this extra thing they want to do for those kids.

Are they really going to have the need to watch more than 4 different SAT programs at the same time? You likely don't need a dedicated output for each television. Heck do any of the TVs have ATSC tuners (or maybe purchase some cheap converter boxes) because a lot of worthwhile programming is free OTA. Maybe they/you need to think outside the box -- especially if they are lacking funds.

Well the four kids are young and so they want them all to have what the rest of the kids at school have. So I'm doing my best to find a way to make that happen...

Maybe that's why our economy is in the pits. Children have to learn that what other kids have may not be what they can have. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, if we didn't have peer pressure, life could be a whole lot less expensive.

I relate this to my own life back in the '50s. I had friends who laughed at me because my clothes came from Sears while their parents bought from name brand stores. All these years later I can buy from wherever I would like to shop. I wonder where they stand????

Geez...so every kid has to have their own TV with their own personal SAT box just for their use -- really!?!?!?! Whatever happened to learning to share and having to compromise? And BTW, I seriously doubt every school at kid has that.

Growing up, my small town was actually a test market so we had cable TV really early (and really cheap too), but the only TVs in our house that were allowed to be connected to cable were in the public areas (kitchen, living room, and den) except for the one in my parents bedroom. My sister and I each had our own TVs in our bedrooms -- but only with OTA antenna programming. I suspect they did this for several reasons (like so we wouldn't watch so much TV and so they could monitor what cable programming we watched) but none of which were monetary as my parents owned their own business and made a very good living. I'm sure I wished I had cable in my room back then, but in retrospect it was a smart move (on many levels).

I think many parents need to stop giving their children their every little desire (because in the long run they aren't really helping them), and people need to stop living in excess trying to keep up with the jones.

Allright, sorry for this pyschosocial debate here. Was not my aim.

I try to do what I can for them because frankly I had nothing when I was a kid. So, I try and help out my grandparents and the younger ninos.

All I know is their dad left their mom, doesn't pay anything, deadbeat, and she has 4 kids to raise on her own. Has a 28k salary job and my grandparents, one of which is paralyzed, said it was time to get a bigger house to help out.

So, I bought all the kids little computers (well built them from cheap parts) and now I'm trying to figure this out.

I agree, kids shouldn't be spoon-fed forever. But there are a few amenities I'd like to let these youngsters take.

Sorry for the rant, but I just see too many "how can I live in excess of my means" posts these days.

It's good you are trying to help out -- and I do think it's great for every kid to have their own computer -- but as I said before I think you need to step back on this one and refocus. Perhaps, just make sure every TV is connected to one of the two SAT boxes so they each have the opportunity to watch SAT channels (and could even order some extra RF remotes so they'd each have their own) -- but let'em know that there is going to have to be some compromise when more than two people want to watch (different programming) the same box. And/or make sure all TVs can grab OTA channels.

Well I personally like that idea. While my wife and I each have different laptops (and I also have a linux PC for work purposes), we have one TV and it is shared for PS3 and DISH time.

I really have just been doing the bidding of my grandparents wishes being the eldest grandson and first boy in their family (all daughters), they tend to come to me to help resolve what they want to do.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I don't get why a 24 month commitment is such a big deal. Are you really going to switch providers that often? Why do this the hard way. Let Dish hook it all up and you'll have exactly what you want. If $100 is a lot then do you really need Sat in the first place? I'm just saying...

All dish wants is a chance to get some money back for basically giving you a $400 receiver to use. Just like free cell phones aren't really free.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I don't get why a 24 month commitment is such a big deal. Are you really going to switch providers that often? Why do this the hard way. Let Dish hook it all up and you'll have exactly what you want. If $100 is a lot then do you really need Sat in the first place? I'm just saying...

All dish wants is a chance to get some money back for basically giving you a $400 receiver to use. Just like free cell phones aren't really free.

True nothing is free but you miss the Op's point. He is making an effort to help out his grandparents who, the OP states are in poor health, but have opened up their home to their Granddaughter (maybe daughter the OP wasn't clear) and her 4 children. The daughter has a small income. He is just trying to figure out the best way to do what his grandparents have asked him for help with. This is the place to come for that help.

Ross

Right. Well I just decided hell with it and used part of my great military paycheck (sarcasm to the 100th degree) to pay the $100.00 fee. The guy will go do it tomorrow morning for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)