Foreign Programming on 121

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I recently installed a dedicated, 1 meter, 121 dish so that one receiver in a university's foreign language department can watch the German Programming. They have fifteen other DISH receivers tied into a 3 satellite (61.5, 110, 119) DISHPro DP43 trunkline system.

The department chariman would like it if some, or even all, of the other receivers had access to programming from all four satellites. I am planning on proposing to install five DP21s to enable five receivers to have four satellite capability, but when I started looking over what is on 121, I am now wondering if they would even need 61.5 if I simply made 121 the third satellite. Is there any foreign language programming at all that is on 61.5 but not also on 121?

The system has four DP34s and I have sold them a fifth, which I'll be installing this week. To go to DPP44s, I'd have to sell and install five. I haven't done much shopping for DPP44s, but I thought I saw them on one site for $170 each. If I paid $170 each, I wouldn't consider selling them for less than $250 each because, with a commercial account, I'd have to keep at least one on hand for back-up, plus any warranty diagnosis I did would take me some time because I would have no familiarity with that product, so maybe I'd sell them for $275-$295 times five, plus installation (I guess I'd have to do a switch check on all their receivers). I'd have to charge them close to $2,000 to make this worth my while. That might be better for them than to have me install two to five DP21s and then have them call me two or three times a year to add DP21s, one at a time, but it is not easy to get someone to ante up for a system-wide upgrade to enable them to access services before they develop the need to access them.

Mike,

Check www.dishchannelchart.com to see about the channels. I really did think that when 121 went into service, that all of the international channels from 61.5/148 where mirrored on 121. So you might find that 61.5 is now obsolete.

The German channels are on SD only, not the wings so as Cyclone noted, you could do that

only problem is the LNB on the 1m dish needs to be DishPro, since you are using a DP34 setup..cant be Legacy

I already ordered a stacked DISHPro FSS LNB for 121. What I wanted was the definitive word on whether all of the foreign programming on 61.5 was on also 121. Cyclone believes it is, but I don't have the time or inclination to spend half an hour or however long it takes to confirm that, item by item. I was hoping that someone might know if DISH has made a statement regarding this, such that I could take 61.5 out of the system without having to give it back when either some user selected a program that was only on 61.5 that we had overlooked, or if a new foreign language service got installed only on 61.5 (and 148) in the future.

I have taken the time to check, and as far as I can tell, all the international programming that is on 61.5 and 148 is now mirrored on 121. There are some channels that are ONLY on 121, so I'm not sure what you do if you are trying to get german programming for example, on the east coast.

Available at 61.5° but not at 121/119/110°

5 Public Interest Channels
The Pentagon Channel
Classic Arts Showcase
Good Samaritan Network
Panhandle Area Educational Consortium
Holistic Television Network

CBS East HDTV (WCBS-DT New York)
Alter TV (Greek)
United Radio Broadcasters of New Orleans (Limited Availability)
Dish HDTV Demo Channel (HDTV3)

Additional local channels in the following cities:
Atlanta, GA (3)
Boston, MA (7)
Buffalo, NY (2)
Chicago, IL (6)
Cleveland, OH (2)
Detroit, MI (1)
Greenville, SC (2)
Indianapolis, IN (2)
Louisville, KY (2)
Nashville, TN (2)
New York, NY (8)
Orlando, FL (5)
Philadelphia, PA (5)
Roanoke, VA (2)
St. Louis, MO (2)
Tampa, FL (5)
Washington, D.C. (5)

And...
as you mentioned...
VOOM
Sky Angel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)