Format External Hard Drive

rocko

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
My neighbor bought a second EHD,bought a USB hub-hooked the second EHD up,reformatted it as needed-when he hooks the old one back up into the hub it says it needs to reformat it-of course he doesn't want to do that because he will lose everything he has on it-He called Dish they told him he had to reformat the old drive and could not have more than 1 EHd hooked up at a time-is that true? I see on here guys with 3 or 4 EHD's hooked up.Is there a way around this without reformatting and losing all he has recorded on a 1TB drive?

Rocko

Not true. Call back and ask for tech support. If they tell him the same hang up and try again until Dish gets it right.

No hubs allowed

My neighbor bought a second EHD,bought a USB hub-hooked the second EHD up,reformatted it as needed-when he hooks the old one back up into the hub it says it needs to reformat it-of course he doesn't want to do that because he will lose everything he has on it-He called Dish they told him he had to reformat the old drive and could not have more than 1 EHd hooked up at a time-is that true? I see on here guys with 3 or 4 EHD's hooked up.Is there a way around this without reformatting and losing all he has recorded on a 1TB drive?

Rocko
The EHDD's can't be used w/ a hub. The hubs are not supported by the VIP units.

Either the power or the USB cable must be disconnected on all but one EHD at a time using either the front or back port but not both.

You can power all and plug the USBs in one at a time or the other way around.

If you get the message about reformatting and there is only one previously formatted drive plugged in, then ask a tech rep. for a HIT. It will change the Household Key seq num found in Menu+6+3+counters+page down 5 times or so. The HHK may differ within the account in the last digit although it is usually the same for all 722... receivers. Be sure all receivers are plugged in to receive the hit. They may be active or not and even recording--a reboot is not needed and it takes less than a minute. If the HHK does not change then it did not work.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)