Format [*] on OTA channels?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Like a thread from July 2013 but the opposite problem. My SD OTA channels are zoomed and scrolling through the formats has no effect. The top and bottom are whacked and the image fills the screen horizontally.

DISH Chat went on and on about the Hopper needing to be told what resolution to expect and how any solution was going to have to go through Engineering.

Is this a result of DISH addressing the previous problem with not being able to zoom?

I have seen exactly what you describe since 2011, so I am guessing not. But I know exactly what you are talking about... It's Dish's answer to "best picture possible". I think they think less people will complain about it this way, than with black bars all the way around.

Is this new? Think you might have changed a setting on your tv. Might be Zoom or P size on your remote. Try going thery the steps there.
My TV has a zoom button on its remote but it isn't implemented on the DISH remotes. What you're suggesting would also presume that my TV can tell the difference between the Hopper putting out an OTA channel versus a non-OTA channel. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the TV's zoom feature doesn't work on HD content (as everything coming from the Hopper appears to be when set to 1080i).

I recall that zoom worked fine with the ViP622 as I went in and out of zoom mode on a fishing show that was sometimes pillarboxed and sometimes windowboxed (newer shows shot in HD).

The previous thread was complained of zoom being disabled but in my case, it seems to be permanently active on SD OTA channels. Ah, the good old days.

I've seen this too. One of the local subchannels is 16:9 but letterboxed on the top, bottom, and sides. I tried to zoom it with the Dish remote but the * button did nothing.

With the 722k, I'm positive you could do it.

One of the local subchannels is 16:9 but letterboxed on the top, bottom, and sides.

I think the term is "picture framed". I really hate this too, particularly because there is no legal ATSC tuner or converter box that can't do the right thing with a widescreen SD channel. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) Heck; every converter box for SDTVs I've seen lets the viewer choose what to do with a widescreen program: letterbox or chop the sides off. Some converter boxes even have an auto mode that allows the broadcaster to pick which way to do it. With the number of SDTVs dwindling, and those who have them don't care much for TV to begin with, there is no valid reason the widescreen program should be presented letterboxed on an SD channel. Grr! :mad:

Last edited:
Had the same problem, but only on the Joey. The format button worked fine on the Hopper when viewing OTA SD programmin but the formatting on the Joey was stuck on 'Zoom'. Then after the latest software upgrade (Hopper 520 & Joey 391) the format button stopped working for OTA SD channels on both! However this time the format was stuck on 'Normal' with black bars on the side instead of stretched 'Zoom'. Thr format button always did and still does work on OTA HD programming.

I think the term is "picture framed"
I knew there was a term for it but couldn't think of it. Picture-framed is a perfect description.

I knew it used to work and thought maybe it was a previous receiver. It may have been the Hopper and a recent s/w update disabled it. In fact, I think it was the Hopper because the sub-channel that does this wasn't available when I had the 722k.

However this time the format was stuck on 'Normal' with black bars on the side instead of stretched 'Zoom'.
I made an interesting observation last night and the term "stuck" applies. While the subchannels of one station are stuck in zoom mode, the channels of a 7 channel station are all in normal mode.

Another difference with this bug is that the format button and "tabs" activate but you can't effect any changes. I don't remember that happening before.

I'm of a mind now that DISH simply disabled it and left it in whatever mode the channel was set for. I think I'll try removing all the OTA channels and adding them back and see if that doesn't clean out the format table.

It's a bug! Just go to a Dish delivered SD channel and use the "*" button to get the format you want. Retune to the OTA channel and it will reflect the format you selected for the Dish delivered SD channel.

It's a bug! Just go to a Dish delivered SD channel and use the "*" button to get the format you want. Retune to the OTA channel and it will reflect the format you selected for the Dish delivered SD channel.
That is what I have done in the past. I check on say Tv Land and choose the aspect ratio I want for that sd channel and then any other sd channel,whether it be satellite sd or ota sd , will then show the same aspect ratio.

The correct term is "window boxed"

Not as evocative as what I thought it was called. :( A window box is a box on the window for flowers. Whoever decided to call picture framed, "window boxed" instead, should have had his head examined.

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)