Segate External Hard Drive

handymantoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
northeast
I am attempting to use a Segate flex drive with my Hopper. When I plug usb into Hopper the Hopper doesn't see the HD. Does the HD drive have to be formatted first? What am I doing wrong? I used a Western Digital before and seemed to just plug it in.

The Go Flex are portable, USB powered drives, I believe. Dish specifies only self-powered, AC drives be used. Some have reported being able to use a portable, many have not. Are you using a powered USB hub by any chance?

Reactions: Tampa8
Please make sure it meets these requirements:

USB 2.0
External power source (not powered by the receiver’s USB port)
Minimum size of 50GB
Maximum size of 2TB for DVR receivers
No dual drives (two drives in one physical case).
No hybrid drives (flash memory and traditional disk in one physical case).

Reactions: Tampa8
If you have not done so try formatting it and then connect it again. I did have a working drive once that my Dish equipment wouldn't recognize for whatever reason, but that was a while ago.

Make sure there is no more than 1 partition on the drive. I have seen multiple reports of drives having partitions, that once removed were capable of working with the Dish equipment.

I've reformatted it, only one partition on drive, not sure what the problem might be. Works great on computer. Could just be incompatible for some reason. Wish Dish would be more universal with their add on stuff. Even their HDMI is quirky.

How is their HDMI quirky? Because some early ViP622s had bad connectors?