Formats ? Want to use my tv's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shell23

Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
I have a Sony 40" Bravia LCD and when I have it set to Full the picture is not that distorted on a non hd channel.
I have a H20 receiver and the stretch format is really distorted compared to the Full on the Sony's.
My question is is there any way to use my Full format vs directs stretch?
New to Direct and to HD ! I am trying lol

I have a Sony 40" Bravia LCD and when I have it set to Full the picture is not that distorted on a non hd channel.
I have a H20 receiver and the stretch format is really distorted compared to the Full on the Sony's.
My question is is there any way to use my Full format vs directs stretch?
New to Direct and to HD ! I am trying lol

Yes,
Go into your menu's on the D* receiver and make sure the "Native " is turned off, this allows the D* receiver to pass the info thru the way it gets it, and your Sony processer will do the changes itself.
Remember, anything that is truely HD will fill your screen automatically.
If you have bars, it's not HD.

You didn't say what receiver you have.

Jimbo

Yes,
Go into your menu's on the D* receiver and make sure the "Native " is turned off, this allows the D* receiver to pass the info thru the way it gets it, and your Sony processer will do the changes itself.

Jimbo

He did say, "I have a H20 receiver".

:)

I'm new to the site too, but I've picked up a lot from reading the posts. On a related issue. When I'm watching a channel and I get the black bars on the side of my 42 inch plasma (Panasonic TH-42PX60U), do I need to worry about "burn in"? It's a HR 20 receiver....

If you get black bars, you need to be careful not to "burn in" your plasma. I have a rear projection CRT and the TV came with many warnings about "burn in" and not to watch to much TV with the black bars on the sides.

Yes,

Jimbo

I would assume a movies like T2 or Gladiator could be shown in HD but they will still be letterboxed (horizontal bars) because their OAR is NOT 16:9 (aka 1.78:1).

So I am assuming "If you have bars, it's not HD." is referring only to pillarboxed (vertical bars)?

V&H bars would be "matchboxing".

I would assume a movies like T2 or Gladiator could be shown in HD but they will still be letterboxed (horizontal bars) because their OAR is NOT 16:9 (aka 1.78:1).

So I am assuming "If you have bars, it's not HD." is referring only to pillarboxed (vertical bars)?

V&H bars would be "matchboxing".

Yup, I reallized that I did not qualify the bars I was talking about, when I read your post.

It's not HD if you have Vetrical (Pillar box) bars,, letterbox can be HD
Thanks Charper :)

Jimbo

aspect ratio problem

I have a 37" Panasonic HD tv and want to use the TV's aspect controls. I have the Directv receive settings set as follows: Widescreen, display set to Pillar Box, and Native set to "On". My TV aspect selections work but something is wierd.

The TV picture is Pillar Box and when I cycle thru my TV aspect selections they only affect the picture inside the pillars. In otherwords, I can end up with a Pillar Box inside a pillar box. Is something set wrong?

I have a 37" Panasonic HD tv and want to use the TV's aspect controls. I have the Directv receive settings set as follows: Widescreen, display set to Pillar Box, and Native set to "On". My TV aspect selections work but something is wierd.

The TV picture is Pillar Box and when I cycle thru my TV aspect selections they only affect the picture inside the pillars. In otherwords, I can end up with a Pillar Box inside a pillar box. Is something set wrong?

Turn Native "OFF".

Looking at Samsung 40" lcd. Will I have vertical bars on all non HDtv channels? Or if I turn native off, it will fill screen on any channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts