Fort Myers, FL: CBS affiliate WINK-TV removed from DISH

Exactly. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. No money should be changing hands.
Do both sides benefit? Absolutely. That doesn't mean no money shouldn't be involved. Look at all the millions of other business deals going on daily. Most of the time, both sides benefit, but money still changes hands.

And the satellite companies send that local signal much further than their broadcast tower could. How about compensating the sat co's for bringing in those extra viewers?;)
1) If you're going to use that argument, why do MVPD's pay ESPN, Discovery, Disney, etc at all? Without the MVPDs, those networks would have ZERO viewers. Oh, and they still sell advertising also.
2) The majority of viewers are within OTA range. DBS subscriptions didn't explode until LiL came about.

Do I think a compromise can be had? Sure. Unfortunately, I'm not involved in any of these negotiations. So my opinion on what should be done matters not.

Do both sides benefit? Absolutely. That doesn't mean no money shouldn't be involved. Look at all the millions of other business deals going on daily. Most of the time, both sides benefit, but money still changes hands.

But you are leaving out an important part of this. The Networks are a monopoly, and they are protected. The rules are decidedly in their favor and to me they should be only thankful there is a system for them being carried.
I will believe you that the majority of people can get a signal, but that also does not tell the whole story. It still leaves chunks of people who can not. An extreme few in all of Eastern Ct for example can get all or often any of the Ct locals anymore since digital. Even in Florida, go much more north of Tampa than I am and it would not be easy to get them.
And then there is this. While many can technically get the signal, many are in apartment buildings making it very difficult, and many more simply do not want to bother with an antenna anymore. If no other choice more would try with an antenna I do believe but how many would just forget about the Networks and watch what they can online or with a Satellite/Cable subscription?

My argument... Who is benefiting more? Dish benefits nothing from OTA(or next to nothing) when OTA expands their viewership reach. Why should Dish pay anything to broadcast something that is broadcast free and furthers their reach which then furthers their ad dollars? Why is CBS worth $1.50, and it has as many ads as it does. Now, I would love to see the day that satellite companies stopped offering locals, but offered a free setup of OTA antennas for qualified customers that run through their box... It will never happen but some thinking. The current model will live for awhile.

But you are leaving out an important part of this. The Networks are a monopoly, and they are protected. The rules are decidedly in their favor and to me they should be only thankful there is a system for them being carried.
I will believe you that the majority of people can get a signal, but that also does not tell the whole story. It still leaves chunks of people who can not. An extreme few in all of Eastern Ct for example can get all or often any of the Ct locals anymore since digital. Even in Florida, go much more north of Tampa than I am and it would not be easy to get them.
And then there is this. While many can technically get the signal, many are in apartment buildings making it very difficult, and many more simply do not want to bother with an antenna anymore. If no other choice more would try with an antenna I do believe but how many would just forget about the Networks and watch what they can online or with a Satellite/Cable subscription?
I agree DBS & Cable help get the signal to those who otherwise wouldn't receive it.

My argument... Who is benefiting more? Dish benefits nothing from OTA(or next to nothing) when OTA expands their viewership reach. Why should Dish pay anything to broadcast something that is broadcast free and furthers their reach which then furthers their ad dollars? Why is CBS worth $1.50, and it has as many ads as it does. Now, I would love to see the day that satellite companies stopped offering locals, but offered a free setup of OTA antennas for qualified customers that run through their box... It will never happen but some thinking. The current model will live for awhile.
Sorry, I call BS on the bolded. Take a look at satellite subscriptions in a given market BEFORE LiL and after. DBS EXPLODED once LiL came about. That made them a valid competitor to cable. Also, look at all the threads and blogs about "cutting the cord". Usually at least one step (if not the first) is getting an antenna so you can receive local programming (if possible). People still want their locals. During the snow storm last week, how many people do you think were watching their local news vs. national? Why is ESPN $6 and it has as many ads as it does?

Unfortunately, I need to bow out of this discussion at point.

Reactions: Tampa8
They both benefit, but who benefits more.... What if they said "we will pay you for the carriage if your channel, but we want full access to the ad space"... Then both parties benefit equally... Currently, locals get paid twice.

Reactions: osu1991
They both benefit, but who benefits more.... What if they said "we will pay you for the carriage if your channel, but we want full access to the ad space"... Then both parties benefit equally... Currently, locals get paid twice.

Let's think about this..if satellite had no locals would they attract as many customers?
Sling TV operates without any locals and so far it is surviving. That is why they make outside antennas.

Plus, I am sure Dish is offering this little guy the same price per station that Sinclair gets.

Sling TV operates without any locals and so far it is surviving. That is why they make outside antennas.

Plus, I am sure Dish is offering this little guy the same price per station that Sinclair gets.
I didn't say nobody would subscribe..I said the number would be much lower..especially in the mountainous rural areas

Comparing Sling TV to regular subscription TV is not a good comparison. It is more likely someone who is subscribing to it is more willing to give up some programming to save money. Further, in saving money they may be more likely to be happy with a couple of locals if that's all they can get with their antenna.
If I am paying for Satellite/Cable I do want locals, all of them. DISH knew this when the FCC passed the law as it was spearheaded by DISH to get locals into locals on Satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)