Fortec Classic is down

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bowhunters

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
In Tree Stand
Kind of a Noob question but its fitting because thats what I am, I looked around and didn't see this exact topic so forgive me if I am blind.

I bought 2 Fortec Classics from Sadoun back last fall and one is still getting FTA but the other one has gone down to just getting snow on the same dish and LNB.

It had been working fine and I was pushing buttons on it looking through the menu and it just went to snow, no popping, no smoke, no fire. :)

No matter what I try including unplugging it for a long period, tried all the switches, all the buttons but nothing works, no menu, no FTA, the remote turns it on and off to snow and thats it with the tv saying (no signal). :(

Is there a place that I can get the Fortec program so I can reinstall it into the receiver with a pc and instructions on how to do that or do I have to send it back to Sadoun to be repaired or did I kill it and its not worth trying to repair?

Thanks - Ken.

Have you tried swapping the receivers and seeing if the problem is still there on the bad one? I just wonder if the line or the LNB output has problems

Anyways, you can go to fortec's website for loader and software
http://www.fortecstar.com/

Or maybe the Receiver to TV connection is bad. Check your connections, and channel on your TV (3 or 4 or Video 1, etc).

Thank you guys for the reply's, yeah I had already swapped them out.

I forgot to mention that.

I'll try to load the software in a few days and see what that does for it.

There is three files on the Fortec site for the Classic NA.

One file that I elimated from needing is for a card slot which my receivers don't have.

The next is called LifeClassicFTA_3755UA_.............

The last is called DwnUpMan_60 which is the channel editor

Anyone know if it matters which one I try to install first?

Thanks - Bow.

Make sure the 3/4 channel switch on back is where you want it. If you are using a coax connection to TV, try using a yellow RCA video cable and see if you can then access the menu screen. Your TV will need to be in "Video or VCR" mode for the RCA cable to work.

It had been working fine and I was pushing buttons on it looking through the menu and it just went to snow, no popping, no smoke, no fire. :)
Just from that sentence, my guess is that a chip in the receiver went dead. You probably want warranty service from Fortec, depending on when you bought it, and how long the warranty lasts.

But, you could try the software upload. The instructions on the Fortec Star web site are clear - just read them slowly and carefully.

DwnUpMan would be the uploader you use to install the software.

Old instructions:

1- Connect ird to power and turn it ON. Hook up null modem-cross over
serial cable(pn 2-3, 3-2, 5-5) to PC and ird. Straight thru cable
(2-2,3-3,5-5) won't work with this receiver.

2- Open DnUpMan_NTSC_050408. In Firmare window, hit browse and find
latest Firmware, select it.

3- Hit Download. Loader will search your COM PORT and start downloading.

IMPORTANT- DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS. Let it complete.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)