Fortec Mercury II - Still having a problem!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Also forgot to mention that the deleted transponder WILL appear when I toggle through the stored tranponders on the TP Scan menu. They just disappear or change while blindscanning. I know this sounds confusing, but I'm just describing what I've seen/experienced.

As a Fortec Star Warranty Repair Center, we would suggest the loading of the latest firmware. I have not heard of any other Mercury II having this problem.

Followed the download instructions on the Fortec website, but can't seem to get the firmware to download from my laptop to the receiver. It seems as if the status is stuck on "Turn on the STB". Ugh!

Followed the download instructions on the Fortec website, but can't seem to get the firmware to download from my laptop to the receiver. It seems as if the status is stuck on "Turn on the STB". Ugh!

ONLY use the switch at the back of the stb to turn it on...just in case you didn't know this..

I am using a USB serial cable (USB from laptop and 9-pin female into the back of the receiver. Also, I did turn the receiver off and on using just the switch on the back of the satellite receiver.

The merc II needs a null cable, can you use a regular null cable? I don't know how the USB/serial adapter work as null cables.

If you don't have a serial port and must use a usb-serial adapter, you might need to head to radioshack or similar and get a null adapter for the serial end.

Also, make sure the virtual port that is created by the adapter is in the range the loader software can use. Sometimes those virtual ports are higher than com4. I'm not sure what ports the fortec loader can use.

Ok just glancing at the specs I think you are going to need to get a NULL modem adapter for it. It looks just like a gender changer, but it changes the pin outs on the connections.

FTA boxes are back and forth on null or regular serial cables. Coolsat isn't even consistent, some of theirs use regular and some use null. It can get kind of confusing. The only way to tell if a cable is null is it USUALLY says Null Modem somewhere on it. Otherwsie I assume it's regular.
Here one at ratshack
http://www.radioshack.com/search/in... modem adapter&origkw=Null modem adapter&sr=1
Also, Circuit city at one point sold a whole pack of 9pin, 25pin gender changer, adapters, and null modem stuff for like $12, that is what I bought a year or so ago, but I can't seem to find it on the website now.
They are cheap and you can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
Btw, I downloaded the fortec loader software and you should be fine as far as com ports go, it goes to com9

As a Fortec Star Warranty Repair Center, we would suggest the loading of the latest firmware. I have not heard of any other Mercury II having this problem.

Brian,

I thought updating/reloading firmware would void the warranty if you do it yourself (versus a certified fortec technician) and if it doesn't resolve his problem, he will not be able to send it back for repair/replacement. Giving your ok to do this, will it cover him?

Earlier USB to serial converters had a lot of problems.
Especially handshaking and running at the speeds needed for firmware uploads.
This one doesn't look too bad, but if all else should fail, consider trying an old computer with a real serial port.

I keep around some old P1-100, and P1-233 laptops for tasks like that.
Had to dig out one for my recent Satpros 500 FTA receiver...and make a null-modem cable.

Sounds like you're headin' in the right direction - best of luck.

I thought updating/reloading firmware would void the warranty if you do it yourself ...
I think that applies to non-factory firmware.

Purchased the adaptor you recommended, SatinKzo, and it worked (at least for downloading the latest firmware)! Hope this resolves the main problem I've been having. Will keep you posted.

Did two blind scans already and the problem is no more! :) Crossing my fingers that the software download did the trick. Thank you all for your help!

We often give the OK for specific people to perform a firmware upgrade when we believe that the problem is related to corruption or the unit needs a new feature. Yes, firmware upgrades can void the factory warranty, but they also will add additional features and upgrades.

It is virtually impossible to damage a Mercury II with a factory firmware upgrade. It is the 3rd party firmware that often damages.

If we direct someone to load factory firmware, SatelliteAV will stand behind the product 100% if any problems develop related to the process.

Brian,

I thought updating/reloading firmware would void the warranty if you do it yourself (versus a certified fortec technician) and if it doesn't resolve his problem, he will not be able to send it back for repair/replacement. Giving your ok to do this, will it cover him?

Very cool Satcustomer, I too am hoping this takes care of the problem you were having. Good luck and happy scanning!

Problem reappeared today while scanning AMC 5 @ 79W. I jotted down all the new frequencies and watched a bunch of 'em disappear during the scan. After the scan completed, I toggled through all the saved transponders on this satellite. Although while scanning some of the transponders disappeared, when I compared my list to the saved transponders, they were all there. Weird, huh? Anyway, I guess I should just have the receiver then scan all the saved transponders on this bird for the feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.