Fortec Passion HD - Can get in EU, but not in US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ES5nhc,

When SatelliteAV gives a definative answer as he did, most of us believe what he says. Brian is an expert.... It will be wise to read and understand what he says. I am not flaming anyone, but, Brian knows his manufacturers. FORTEC does not want the NA business ... END OF STORY!

If it could possibly be made to work here, Brian would be importing them.

Nothing to do with litigation. Fortec Star fully cooperated with Canadian authorities three years ago and participated in several hearings defending the right for true FTA in Canada. The GM of Fortec North America, David McGrath left several years ago and without a visionary at the helm, they just drifted out of the NA market. Quit importing receivers about a year ago then had a clearance sale on dishes and LNBFs at the beginning of the year.

I believe that the Passion was the beginning of the end for the company in North America. All of the Fortec Star eggs were in one basket and when the chipset didn't perform as the specs and manufacturers continued to insist, they did not have backup hardware in development. David left short after the failed NA Passion project and the company did not re-enter the market with a new receiver.

Sad to such a leader and supporter of true FTA hobbyists close their North American doors. :(

LOL

FORTEC does not want the NA business ... END OF STORY!

If it could possibly be made to work here, Brian would be importing them.

Maybe not. Looks like Satellite AV doesn't even offer HD receivers.

If possible, a savvy businessman would import the products themselves to eliminate the middleman. There is more profit to be made. (Amongst other reasons...)

Pop, such trust and faith in Satellite AV is most inspiring.

...... and we won't be selling an HD receiver until it is something that I would want to own myself and be proud to carry the GEOSATpro label. I don't believe in making customers to be guinea pigs and be disappointed. The new receiver is worth waiting for..... All the right bells and whistles and at the right price.

SatelliteAV was the largest Fortec Star distributor in the US. If the Passion was worth importing, we would be stocking it!

OK then, does the Fortec Innovation support NTSC/ATSC?

After looking at GeoSAT Pro receiver manuals, I wonder if the UI is based on the Fortec Mercury user interface. Looks very similar...

Either that or maybe it's a rebranded Fortec.

Nice manual by the way...

EDIT:
Ohhhh. Ak so. Maybe ATSC is a reason North America has trouble getting FTA receivers. Even the GSP receivers don't support ATSC. There's a disclaimer in the manual about supporting the obsolete standard.... (DTV Transition Notice)

Last edited:
OK then, does the Fortec Innovation support NTSC/ATSC?

After looking at GeoSAT Pro receiver manuals, I wonder if the UI is based on the Fortec Mercury user interface. Looks very similar...

Either that or maybe it's a rebranded Fortec.

Nice manual by the way...

EDIT:
Ohhhh. Ak so. Maybe ATSC is a reason North America has trouble getting FTA receivers. Even the GSP receivers don't support ATSC. There's a disclaimer in the manual about supporting the obsolete standard.... (DTV Transition Notice)

ATSC reception or output compatibility has nothing to do with receiver importation. It is that many electronic devices are designed to output only 50hz signals in any display mode. I am unaware of any receiver that outputs an ATSC modulated signal.

BTW... The GEOSATpro manuals meet the FCC requirement for all television devices to display the disclaimer of NTSC connection compatibility for existing display devices. ....... GEOSATpro receivers are definately not rebranded Fortec Star receivers. :eek:

Thanks for the Kudo on the manual. Ask me what I do in my sopare time and on holidays! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)