FORTEC receiver questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wantogetstarted

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 31, 2006
Mars, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
I have read the reviews for both the FORTEC STAR LIFETIME CLASSIC NA and the FORTEC STAR Mercury II. It seems that the Classic is the one to buy. Would anyone who has experience or knows about both of these agree?

Also, this may be a really dumb question but I am assuming that if you know what transponder and stuff you want to view you don't have to blind scan for it. For example, lets say you you want to watch a feed and you know exactly where it is but you don't have it stored in your channel list. I am assuming you can go right to it without doing a blind scan.

Also, if and when a satellite would change position or a new one gets launched. I am assuming you can add those changes as well.

Forgive me, I have no experience with FTA receivers and how they work.

Thanks!

I have the classic NA and it is a good receiver (I can't speak for the mercury II), As for not blind scanning you would have to know the particulars of the channel that you want and enter it in....its not like analog where you can just surf (unfortunately) you would have to scan or enter the channels in manually (you can do both with the classic NA). You can also ad other satellites in (there are quite a few empty spaces for future growth).

hope that helps

I have read the reviews for both the FORTEC STAR LIFETIME CLASSIC NA and the FORTEC STAR Mercury II. It seems that the Classic is the one to buy. Would anyone who has experience or knows about both of these agree?
Havent worked with a Mercury but have a Classic and love it. Easy to use

Also, this may be a really dumb question
Only dumb question here is asking how to steal :D

but I am assuming that if you know what transponder and stuff you want to view you don't have to blind scan for it. For example, lets say you you want to watch a feed and you know exactly where it is but you don't have it stored in your channel list. I am assuming you can go right to it without doing a blind scan.
yes you can. Just manually enter the info (frequency, polarity, symbol rate) and then you can switch to that transponder to see if there is signal. I’ve done that with “repeat” feeds (news or sports feeds that usually use that same info).

Also, if and when a satellite would change position or a new one gets launched. I am assuming you can add those changes as well.
Yes. Some of the changes I have had to make are
-adding SBS6 to the Coolsat
-changing AMC9 from 85W to 83W
-adding IA8 when it came online
-adding Satmex6
-changing AMC2 from 105W to 85W and adding AMC15 to 105

I have the mercury II and love it so far, its very responsive, fast menu's, drives my motor using usals incredibly acruate and very fast.

Ive never owned the FLU but they are going for incredibly cheap on ebay though, like rediculously cheap.

wantogetstarted said:
How is the USALS with the Fortec Classic model. I have heard good things about the Mercury II. Is the Classic just as good?

Yes, PERFECT with USALS :)

And what about the Lifetime Ultra ? Is it as good as the Classic?
It seems similar but I dont have it yet. I just got one on ebay for 48$ shipped. I heard so much good about Fortec I decided to get one as second receiver.

Ultra is almost as good as the Classic NA.

The Classic NA is much more flexable when scanning, see review in the review area :)

The Ultra has been the North America flagship model for several years, but it is no longer in production. A great unit, but the faster processors and more sensitive tuners in current production models have outdated the Ultra.

We have distributed 10's of thousands of the Ultras and are a factory warranty repair center for Fortec Star. The Ultra model has been an extremely trouble free receiver. I personally use one on a daily basis and have no reason to upgrade!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)