Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Finally got my hands on the Fortec Lifetime Classic NA FTA Digital satellite receiver, thanks to our friends and GOLD sponsors here at the SatelliteGuys.US FTA area...... SADOUN
Needless to say Sadoun is the ONLY place you should consider buying this quality product (IMO).
Got the e-mail at the office that the receiver had arrived from Fed-Ex, the rest of the day DRAGGED and I went like a bat out of hell when I finally got the chance to go home.
First thing I did was make sure my motor was pointing EXACTLY true south, we are lucky here in the Twin Cities as our zenith satellite is Intelsat Americas 6 and it lies exactly at our longitude, 93w. With that done, I plugged in the new "Classic NA" turned it on then went up to the SG2100 motor and reset it using a straightened paper clip.
Back inside I was pleasantly surprised with the new menu graphics and layout, I went to the antenna setup screen and chose IA-6 set up my LNBF and switch and was ready to start to blind scan. One nice feature I noticed in the antenna setup is Sat Lock, this lets you block any particular satellite, this would be handy with members with smart kids who know how to blind scan a satellite. As recently there have been some adult channels showing up FTA on one particular satellite (now encrypted before you PM)
Back to blind scanning, or as Fortec call it POWER SCAN. After choosing Power scan by hitting the OK button again it gives you the choice of a starting and stopping frequency of the power scan! An amazing function and will be VERY handy when you do not want to wait for a full satellite scan!
But the best thing about this new Full Power scan feature is that you can also choose how thorough a scan you want to do, you can choose to Power Scan in step of 4/6/8/10 or 12 MHz. So you can zip through a scan by selecting step 12 or if you are in no hurry and want to make sure you find all channels/feeds you can select to scan by 4 MHz step giving total flexibility of your Power scans. Also unlike most receivers including the Lifetime Ultra instead of a progress bar (that means nothing as it keeps restarting) it LISTS all found TP's full screen while displaying the steps and how many more stops to go before the scan completes. I LOVE this function, I am not usually in a hurry when I am scanning and would much rather make sure I don't miss any finds.
The favorite list is worth a mention, unlike other receivers you can add the same channel to one or more favorite lists! I have never used favorites much but with this function and the ease of use I am now hooked!
I am now fully loaded with channels and satellites and I have have not come across any of the menu problems that required you to delete all TP's before a Power Scan that was a pain with the Ultra.
This receiver is certainly a lot more business like and has a professional feel to it, much more like a tool than a receiver. I was also very impressed as usual with the picture quality using coax component and super video. Crisp clean pictures and a very stable menu screen and interface(See below screen shots). . Channel changing is lightening fast compared to the Lifetime Ultra! I have had this receiver for over a week now and it still displays the CORRECT time that's a great plus for me. Another nice thing that it instead of just saying "NO SIGNAL" when the dish is moving between satellites it now tell you where its motoring to "Please wait while dish moves to G10R" for example. Definitely the best receiver I have ever tried so far.
Fortec Lifetime Classic NA
The Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA satellite receiver is designed specifically for the North American market. This Free-to-air receiver is part of the same family of receivers as the Platinum NA and FSIR-5400 NA (See Below). It comes with a channel memory capacity of 4,800 channels. The Power Scan provides blind search capabilities with maximum flexibility for controlling the search parameters.
This receiver is fully MPEG2/DVB compliant, and supports multi-languages.
FEATURES:
Easy-to-use Graphic MENU Interface
RS232 Port for Updating Software
Supports DiSEqC1.0/1.2, 13/18V, 22Khz Tone
USALS function
S-Video Connector & 3-RCA Connectors
S/PDIF Optical Connector for AC3 audio pass-through
Multi-language Functionality (Menu, Audio)
Last Channel Memory (on the same satellite)
OSD: Transparency & Blending, 256 Palette Colors
Front Panel Buttons & IR Remote Controller User Interface
Editing Functions (TV or Radio Channels)
EPG for On-Screen Channel Information (where available)
Channel Memory for Multi-satellites (up to 64)
3 Operation Modes (Digital TV, Digital Radio, Favorite)
SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Conditional Access Interface
Type
None
2. Tuner
Type
1X F-type, IEC169-24 Female
Frequency Range
950MHz to 2150MHz
Input Impedance
75 ohm unbalanced
Signal Level
-25 to -65 dBm
LNB Power
13.5/18.5Vdc+/-5%, 0.5Amax, Overload protected
22kHz Tone
Frequency: 22 kHz+/-2kHz Amplitude:0.6V+/- 0.2V
DiSEqC Control
Version1.2 Compatible
Demodulation
QPSK
Input Symbol Rate
2-45Ms/s
FEC Decoder
Convolution Code Rate 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8
3. System & Memory
Main Processor
STi5518
Flash Memory
2 Mbytes
SDRAM
8 Mbytes
EEPROM
8 Kbytes
Channel Memory
Digital Channels: 4800
Multi-Satellite
Up to 64
Multi-Language Menu
English/ Italian/ Turkish/ French/ German/ Spanish/ Greek
Front
7 Keys, 1LED
Remote Controller
34 Keys, IR Remote Control
4. MPEG Transport Stream & A/V Decoding
Transport Stream
MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818 Transport Stream Specification
Profile Level
MPEG-2 MP@ML
Input Rate
Max 60Mbit/s
Aspect Ratio
4:3, 16:9
Frame Rate
25H for PAL, 30Hz for NTSC
Video Resolution
720 X 576(PAL), 720 X 480(NTSC)
Teletext
Through VBI & OSD
Audio Decoding
MPEG/MusiCam Layer I & II
Audio Mode
Single channel/Dual channel Joint Stereo/Stereo
Frequency Response
20Hz~20kHz, <+/-2dB
60Hz~18kHz <+/-0.5dB
Sampling Rate
32, 44.1, 48kHz
5. A/V & Data In/Out
S-video Output
North American model only
RCA Output
CVBS, L, R Output (Yellow, White, Red Jack) with Volume Control
S/PDIF Output
Toslink Optical
Data Interface
RS-232, Bit Rate: 115200 baud
Connector: 9-Pin D-Sub Male type
6. RF-Modulator
RF-Connector
75§Ù IEC169-2, Male/Female
Frequency
470MHz to 860MHz
Output Channel
CH 3-4
TV Standard
NTSC, PAL B/G, D/K, I Selectable by Menu Setting
Audio Output
Mono with Volume Control
Preset Channel
CH 3 (or TBD), Software changeable by Menu screen
7. Power Supply
Input Voltage
AC 90~240V, 50Hz~60Hz
Power Consumption
Max. 40W
Stand-by Power
<= 6.5W
Protection
Separate Internal Fuse
The input shall have the lightning protection
8. Physical Specification
Size (W x H x D)
280 X 55 X 235mm
Excluding the foot. Foot height is 6mm
Weight
2.0kg
9. Environmental Condition
Operating Temperature
0 +/-40 Celsius
Storage Temperature
-10 ~ 50 Celsius
Operating Humidity Range
10 ~ 85% RH, Non-condensing
Storage Humidity Range
5 ~ 90% RH, Non-condensing
http://www.fortecstar.com/Estore/store/Assets/userguide/82-userguide.pdf
The CLASSIC NA is the base FTA only model.
~ PLATINUM is the essentially a CLASSIC NA plus a CI slot that can accomodate 2 CAMS
~ 5400NA = CLASSIC
www.fortecstar.com
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/...ec-Star-CLASSIC-Blind-Search-receiver-New.htm

Attachments

• Pict0023.JPG
    Pict0023.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 749
  • Pict0034.JPG
    Pict0034.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 431
  • Pict0031.JPG
    Pict0031.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 496
  • Pict0030.JPG
    Pict0030.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Pict0029.JPG
    Pict0029.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 497
  • Pict0028.JPG
    Pict0028.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 676
  • Pict0027.JPG
    Pict0027.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 724
  • Pict0026.JPG
    Pict0026.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 567
  • Pict0025.JPG
    Pict0025.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 869
  • Pict0024.JPG
    Pict0024.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 625
  • Pict0052.JPG
    Pict0052.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Pict0048.JPG
    Pict0048.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 564
  • Pict0047.JPG
    Pict0047.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Pict0038.JPG
    Pict0038.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
nice review Pete! :)
Looks like a cool receiver

One question though (and maybe its OT)
First thing I did was make sure my motor was pointing EXACTLY true south, we are lucky here in the Twin Cities as our zenith satellite is Intelsat Americas 6 and it lies exactly at our longitude, 93w. With that done, I plugged in the new "Classic NA" turned it on then went up to the SG2100 motor and reset it using a straightened paper clip.
should people do that if swapping receivers? Move to TS and reset motor?

I would say so, that's what I do start a fresh in the zero position. Always works so why change it :)

Now I'm even "gladder" I ordered one last week. Maybe after I set it up, I'll put my thoughts up as a newbie learning on it.

Last edited:
Can you give an idea of blind scan times at 12 Mhz steps and 4 Mhz increments? Maybe scan AMC5, then a more populated satellite like IA5.

Is there a channel editor available for this model?

Power Scan Times........

AMC-5

4MHz = 16 mins. (250 stops)
12MHz = 5 mins (82 stops)

IA-5

4MHz = 16.5 mins (250 stops)
12MHz = 9 mins (82 stops)

Pete
Power Scan below SR2000 how it work
Convertion from PAL to NTSC comparet with the Traxis 2500.

Saludos
Hiebert

Katrinasucks said:
How would you guys who have used multiple receivers rate those times?

for IA5, I can scan using the 6000 in about 7 minutes and on AMC5, about 5-7 minutes (depending on how many transponders are active)

The Coolsat would be a little quicker...I'll check tonight and report back

IA-6 is my true south satellite so its always the first satellite I scan after an install / setup.
So I noticed this as soon as I unhooked the Ultra and hooked up the Classic NA, but wanted to wait a bit before posting just to make sure.
ABC News Now on IA-6 was breaking up badly every few seconds with the Ultra but now using the Classic NA the video is PERFECT:)
The audio is still slightly out of sync. but now VERY watchable:up

That's interesting about ABC News Now not having all the break ups on the Classic. I always suspected that was some sort of decoding problem, it's awful on my Pansat. I wonder what ABC is doing to or adding to the signal to cause that?

The Classic NA sounds like a very nice receiver.

Since Pete did a very good review, there's no reason for me to rehash what he put. Just some of my thoughts

Pros
-VERY easy to set up
-has the new satellite names (IA instead of Telstar)
-It tells you when setting up what spot its at (IA5 97W)
-you can set the steps for the blind scan
-compact size
-easy to use remote
-when doing a normal blind scan, it actually finds everything (more on that later)
-2 color blind scan list (existing TP's in system are blue, new are white). Coolway to see the new TP's
-Clock is bang on and does have timers that will control a motor
-Very easy to work with the "nudge" function of the motor (other boxes I have the nudge goes too far)
-Very stable meter (doesnt move that much)

Slight drawbacks
-when you blind scan a satellite, it defaults to just that satellite. You have to hit "sat" and go to "all sats" to get your full channel list
-when you scroll through the channels, it wants to bring up the picture so the motor starts moving. This is my greatest gripe. Dont put more wear on the motor by making the dish move if I want to scroll through to find my channel. Wish I could turn that off.

I did some comparisons between my Coolsat, Pansat 1500 and the Fortec in terms of scan speeds

Coolsat "Full" vs. Fortec blind scan on "6" steps...no contest. Coolsat scans satellite and is done before the Fortec is 1/2 done. BUT the Coolsat missed some stuff. I scanned IA6 and the Coolsat missed Doc Scott and a couple others. On SBS6, I couldnt hit the 2 channels on the Vertical polarity (the 2 channels from New Orleans). It simply scanned too fast.

Now Coolsat "Detail" vs. Fortec. Again the Coolsat won (by maybe 30 seconds or so) but again, there are missing TP's (Doc Scott being one again)

So for quickness, the Coolsat wins. But for the feed hunting, the Fortec wins hands down. I found more TP's on the Fortec than the Coolsat (and both were hooked to the same setup)

Now the Pansat 1500
In this case, the Fortec beat the Pansat by 45 seconds. Also, the Pansat hangs on a transponder on IA6. The Fortec didnt.

All and all, this is a GREAT unit and would be worth it for any FTA'er (beginner or veteran). I now have a new receiver for my 2nd motorized setup :)

Attachments

• IM000617.JPG
    IM000617.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 460
  • IM000614.JPG
    IM000614.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IM000613.JPG
    IM000613.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 380
  • IM000611.JPG
    IM000611.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IM000610.JPG
    IM000610.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IM000609.JPG
    IM000609.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 418
  • IM000608.JPG
    IM000608.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IM000606.JPG
    IM000606.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 440
  • IM000604.JPG
    IM000604.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 489
  • IM000605.JPG
    IM000605.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IM000622.JPG
    IM000622.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 517
  • IM000621.JPG
    IM000621.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 444
  • IM000620.JPG
    IM000620.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IM000619.JPG
    IM000619.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IM000618.JPG
    IM000618.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IM000624.JPG
    IM000624.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 581
"But for the feed hunting, the Fortec wins hands down."

Iceberg would you say that this is the best receiver that you have used for feed hunting?

For feeds (and the newer receivers), yes.
I like my Pansat 1500 but that is slower scanning than the Fortec and found the same stuff.

I just scanned AMC5 last night and found 2 other feeds that the Coolsat didnt

Iceberg said:
Slight drawbacks
-when you blind scan a satellite, it defaults to just that satellite. You have to hit "sat" and go to "all sats" to get your full channel list
-when you scroll through the channels, it wants to bring up the picture so the motor starts moving. This is my greatest gripe. Dont put more wear on the motor by making the dish move if I want to scroll through to find my channel. Wish I could turn that off.
The second drawback is my most major gripe also. Otherwise, this is a very nice working receiver. I'll take an accurate scan over a fast one anyday. It's a keeper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts