Fortec Star Mercury II $85 - Holiday Special - Satellite AV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There have been one or two factory firmware updates this year.
Discussion of those should be easy to find here on the forum.
They fixed minor problems related to switches, if I recall.

For general FTA use, the Mercury II is probably one of the top 3..4 receivers you could choose, based on discussions and comments by the members.

If your use is not for FTA, then don't ask about it here.

I got mine Friday from SatAV and hae been enjoying learning it's features on my motorized 90cm dish this weekend. Mine has firmware 1.06 factory loaded and I see that there is a newer bin 1.53 available. The fortec star site has me a little spooked with this message though.

Warning: To avoid invalidating your warranty, contact your dealer to have a Fortec Star trained technician upload software to your receiver. Only a Fortec Star trained technician is authorized to upgrade software.
Is this really an issue so long as no third party "hack" software is used?

same on the Coolsat site
So I contacted the dealer I bought mine from
they said they only"sell" them not service them,no upgrades etc.
I guess its just a loophole.

I just ordered one sunday. Can't wait to get started on my 1st FTA. Just need to get my 10' setup.

Been reading alot of good stuff here. :)

Howard

While scanning (Not selecting the transponders to scan) is there a way to skip a transponder (example: data transponder) so that the receiver does not get stuck on one?

Example: On the Pansat I can press the "Play" button to skip a transponder.

Thanks.

Sorry about that, thanks for correcting me.

I clicked the link "Mercury II Satellite Receiver " under that image, When I click your link and the "Order now image" it gives the correct price of $85.

Sorry about that, thanks for correcting me.

I clicked the link "Mercury II Satellite Receiver " under that image, When I click your link and the "Order now image" it gives the correct price of $85.

:D

I plan on picking one up on 1/2/2008 as well. I was just a little nervous when you posted that.

Thanks !

Well all this talk made me nervous so I got permission from my wife to go ahead and order my Mercury II from Brian a few minutes ago, so it is on the way.

He also assured me that the special will be honored until January 3rd just like the original post states.

I know some of you are like me in wanting to wait until after Christmas to spend any more money, so you will be safe.

But this deal is certainly worth the money to get a very popular blind-scanning receiver shipped to your door for $85.00 including a 4x1 diseqc switch.

Mine should be here on Christmas Eve. :)

Great price, niggling faults.

I've been using My Merc II for a couple weeks now. I have been running the latest firmware from Fortec as of last week.

I like the box. For the most part everything works all the time, and most of how it works is pretty logical to me. A few times the box seemed to stop responding to remote commands and had to be reset, but as I understand it, this is not terribly unusual in the FTA world (or cable TV PVRs, for that matter. If I had a dime for every time I had to reset my Comcast PVR by unplugging it...)

But just a few criticisms of the box, where I think a little firmware development would really increase the value to the end user.

Transponder management: could be much better with user-edit capabilities:

1. After a blind "power" scan, often transponders are found that are not in the factory default transponder list. There does not seem to be any mechanism for automatically or manually adding these newly-found transponders to the transponder list. I haven't studied the format of the channel dump (yet), so it may be that this could be easily done externally to the box. But still, it would be nice if you could change it without upgrading firmware or editing it on a PC remotely.

2. This shortcoming severely limits the usefulness of the otherwise excellent "Transponder scan" feature. You are limited to the transponders embedded in the firmware image (apparently). It would be great if either a) the user could enter the transponder frequency and polarization manually and add it to the list or edit the list or b) the user could automatically and/or selectively add any transponders found in the last "power scan" to the transponder list, thus keeping it up to date. For transponders that come and go, this might be a quick way to check to see if it's active on antenna setup or other menus without having dark channels programmed.

Power scanning

1. This feature is IMHO all that I expect it to be. The few times I note inconsistent results on a power scan, it's usually on the weakest transponders when the signal is marginal (e.g. UWTV and Research Channel on G10R, which sometimes show, and sometimes don't, but are on the threshold of being a usable signal.)

2. However, in my box, the lower and upper scan limits are not user-changeable, as far as I can tell. A '0.9' appears in a circle and attempting to edit or change the values does not work. To me, this is not a big deal as long as I don't have to scan the low band on a universal LNB, but it is annoying as I was hoping for a work around for the lack of ability to enter a specific transponder frequency and scan only that.

Channel upload/download

1. It's understandable that a firmware upgrade would start with an STB reset. This is probably a good safety precaution since that means all upgrades begin in a "fresh environment" right after reset, before some program bug can mangle memory or otherwise complicate the operation of the upgrade.

BUT:

2. I don't see the reason to require an STB reset for a channel up/download.
The channel up and download would be REALLY USEFUL if both could be initiated by the host computer. IMHO, the utility of remote channel editing (and perhaps robotic blind scanning) would be greatly enhanced if the box could act as an intelligent peripheral to a PC when not being controlled via the IR remote. :)

lastly,

I don't know if any IRD/STB supports a protocol for remote control via RS-232 or USB, but I know I'd be in the market for this if it exists. Like many, I *don't* want my STB to be tied to a computer 24/7 just to use it on a day-to-day basis, but I *do* want to have the ability to control it via PC without playing games emitting IR codes and such to "fool" the box into responding to PC control. :)

That last comment applies to just about any box out there, I guess.

In the ham radio world, basically every manufacturer has the ability to control their higher-end transceiver gear by a PC. But predictably, Kenwood has one protocol, ICOM another, Yaesu another, Ten-Tec yet another, and all different. Wouldn't it be cool if the STB industry could standardize basic features so software could be written to control STBs without it being a constant battle to adapt to new boxes and proprietary changes being made because no common framework exists...

Oh well, pie-in-the-sky I guess. I'll settle for a protocol that emulates the IR remote signals if it would let me automate the dish pointing and blind scanning. :)

Well all this talk made me nervous so I got permission from my wife to go ahead and order my Mercury II from Brian a few minutes ago, so it is on the way.

He also assured me that the special will be honored until January 3rd just like the original post states.

I know some of you are like me in wanting to wait until after Christmas to spend any more money, so you will be safe.

But this deal is certainly worth the money to get a very popular blind-scanning receiver shipped to your door for $85.00 including a 4x1 diseqc switch.

Mine should be here on Christmas Eve. :)

Working blind scan and no major functional "holes", for $85.
Yes, Linuxman, there is a Santa Claus! :D

I'm pretty happy with my box. There are some things that could be better, but none of them interfere with the smooth day-to-day operation and use of the box or make setup difficult. (Those are the kind of problems that really matter because you encounter them a lot more often.)

I'm betting that I'd have a list of gripes about any box I owned. I'm good at finding things to complain about :)

Enjoy your Merc II. Let us know if you're as surprised as I am how lightweight it is. :)

Hey Woofle,

I was just looking over the review by DrHydro and found this:
The Mercury II has one feature I found that is really handy, the Channel backup and recover, NICE feature which allows you to back up your channel list at any point and then restore them. Say you were just scanning a sat and got a lot of scrambled channels. All you have to do is delete all channels and then restore your previous channels. Way cool.
I am wondering if this has something to do with what you described above.
1. After a blind "power" scan, often transponders are found that are not in the factory default transponder list. There does not seem to be any mechanism for automatically or manually adding these newly-found transponders to the transponder list. I haven't studied the format of the channel dump (yet), so it may be that this could be easily done externally to the box. But still, it would be nice if you could change it without upgrading firmware or editing it on a PC remotely.

2. This shortcoming severely limits the usefulness of the otherwise excellent "Transponder scan" feature. You are limited to the transponders embedded in the firmware image (apparently). It would be great if either a) the user could enter the transponder frequency and polarization manually and add it to the list or edit the list or b) the user could automatically and/or selectively add any transponders found in the last "power scan" to the transponder list, thus keeping it up to date. For transponders that come and go, this might be a quick way to check to see if it's active on antenna setup or other menus without having dark channels programmed.
That might be the reason the TPs are not automatically added to allow for a revert back to previous channel list.

Many times after a blind scan and finding a lot of unused TPs, it will be nice to just click and revert back to where you were.

I may be incorrect in my thinking here, but it kind of makes sense.

Fred
PS, I still believe in Santa Claus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts