Fortec Ultra

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FixZer

Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
Hi everyone!! I'm a total newbie to this FTA stuff so bear with me. Just got a new Fortec Lifetime Ultra out of box. Connected to tv (Channel #3) set Receiver switch to #3, plugged in and turned on with back switch. All I see is a picture (I think) scrunched up across the middle of the screen. When I press the menu button on remote the screen fills up but does the horizontal roll thing. I've read the troubleshooting part of the manual and it says nothing about this. Is this a defective receiver or is there something else I need to do to clear this up?

sounds like its set to PAL mode..and for the life of me I dont know how to change it on the Fortec

On the first screen (User Setup screen)...after the language selection if you get that, About the third down the list is "TV Type." Make that NTSC.

Hmm...maybe this will be more helpful.

HOW TO FIX A ROLLING SCREEN
that is stuck in PAL Mode

Depending on whether pressing the Menu Button takes you to the
language screen or not, one of these methods should get you back
into NTSC Mode.

Turn on the receiver.
Press Menu button.
Press Down button twice.
Press OK button.
Press Left or right arrow button until you get back to NTSC.
Press OK button.

If Menu Screen give you the language option:
Press "Menu."
Press "OK."
Press "Down Arrow" twice.
Press "OK."
Press "Left or Right Arrow" until you get back to NTSC.
Press "OK."

Thanks for the fast replies and Pipedream, I've tried the first option because I can't make out anything on tv and I do see movement and screen changes from color to black & white but doesn't stop rolling. Do you know how many times exactly to set on NTSC?

Sometimes on booting the Fortec will give the Language menu, sometimes not.
But one of the above methods should work. When you get to pressing the right or left arrow, keep pressing until the screen clears up...it should do it in about 3 tries as there are 3 options there: PAL, Auto, and NTSC...I think. Choose NTSC. You'll know when it's NTSC because it should stop rolling.

Turn the receiver Off, back on, and one of those two methods should work. Make sure you're close enough and aim the remote good as any misfires here will be troublesome.

I've been trying the above steps as best as I can for about 3 hours and still have the rolling screen. Is there any other way of reseting the system. I thought that maybe I could load a new bin but if I do that they say no Warranty? Appreciate the help!!

Not sure where you got the receiver from, but I'm thinking it must have a PAL bin installed. At the Fortecstar website they offer a PAL bin and a NTSC bin. The above method should work with an NTSC bin on a Fortec Ultra. Never had one with a PAL bin so I don't know for sure about them. Maybe someone else has an idea, but looks to me like you should return the box or flash it with the v2.72 NTSC bin.

Just be sure you have a Lifetime Ultra...not Lifetime Ultra+, Ultra Diamond, 5100 Ultra, etc.

I've been trying the above steps as best as I can for about 3 hours and still have the rolling screen. Is there any other way of reseting the system. I thought that maybe I could load a new bin but if I do that they say no Warranty? Appreciate the help!!

try hooking the receiver to a black and white tv should be stable enough so you can read the menu and set it to ntsc.:)

Most TV tuner cards that are in computers can handle both PAL and NTSC. If you know someone with a TV-tuner build into a PC you will be able to get a steady picture assuming that PAL is the problem

The problem could not be related to the OUTPUT MODE. Since you state that the picture turns from Black and White rolling to Color rolling, I would suggest a defect. The rolling picture could be related to a defective power supply, specifically a faulty voltage regulator in the power supply.

Thanks a Million Baldhead!! I do have a TV-Tuner in my comp and it worked like a charm! System is now up and running. Thanks to everyone for their input. Wonder why Fortec doesn't have this type of help on their site?

Thanks a million Baldhead!!! Tv_tuner card worked like a charm!! Everything seems to be working except no EPG info showing. But I'll do some more reading and probably find the answer.

What channels are you trying to get EPG on?

I think it must have something to do with the time. I live in the central time zone but when I set the time to central it only gives me GMT-5 but should be GMT-6. Also it doesnt keep time properly... after one night it looses 6+ hrs. Is there a battery inside or something else that I should be doing?

Ultra's with factory firmware do not hold time ........ Last year, third party programmers corrected this problem, but the factory never incorporated the fix before the Ultra was discontinued.

Almost all of the other boxes, including the Fortec Classic NA, keep the correct time by utilizing the satellites Atomic Time servers (Or whatever it's called).

I think the Ultra keeps time on cycles and not like the rest. My Pansat 1500 is the same but the 3500, 5000, 6000 keep perfect time

Thanks for all the help!! I'll keep playing oround and maybe someday will be able to return favor>

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts