Found 1.2 meter pans

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tobor26

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Ottawa Ontario Canada
I was walking the dogs the other day and come across 2, 1.2 meter dish pans out for someones garbage day. I went back with my van and brought them home. They don't have lnbs nor the bracket behind to attach to pole.Don't have the 3 lnb assembly rods to hold in place.Does anyone know if the can be made from scrap metal pipe? I came across a thread that had some info but lost it.On the back it has a stamp. Part no. 3040646. Mould no 1.2m-1 Made in usa. The pan front had a name but a grey square is painted over it. This is on both dish pans. Can anyone point me for more help on this.Are these usefull for fta use on a hh motor ,or stationary , are they worth keeping? Thanks.

they would work great but how much would it cost to replace all the missing hardware?

A new FORTEC STAR FC120CM is about $120

If you just wanted to ding around on a temporary basis. on the ground, you can screw it to a saw horse and put a LNB on a boom microphone stand (MacGyver Rig)

lots of fun

Last edited:
Yes there are worth keeping and with some handy work you can get them to a usable state. I used 1/2 in electrical conduit and some 1 in wide channel 3/4 will work better if you can find some, and a few nuts bolts and washers and made the lnb arms and a lnb mount. I used a program called Parabola Calculator @ hXXp://mscir.tripod.com/parabola/ use the MSI version if using Windows also found on some solar websites to get my focal point and the whole process took about 2 hours. Just bolt 3 small channels over the holes for the arms and then bolt the conduit to the channels allowing the channels to rotate some until you get the focal point the tighten everything up.

Attachments

• SUNP0004.JPG
    SUNP0004.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 393
  • SUNP0006.JPG
    SUNP0006.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
molded 1.2m dishes:

Probably were marked "Primestar" , and it's either been painted over or the sticker has come off.
Many guys make a bracket for the back side of those dishes so they can motorize and have lower weight.
We can find you such threads here on the forum.

As for making or finding the arms and LNB holder for the front, that too has been discussed and documented.
So, hold on 'till we find all the relevant material.
Even with a little extra work, those are quite useful.

I would guess $20 in materials, or a bit more if you find the original feed support arms.
Either way, it's the best 1.2m solution around.

moulded 1.2 m dishes

Great.Thanks for all the replies and ideas.I may look around my local hardware stores to see whats avaliable for parts.I thought that they might be a good find.Couldn't stand to see them in the garbage. Maybe I can use one on my hh motor. We will see .. thanks again guys.

I was walking the dogs the other day and come across 2, 1.2 meter dish pans out for someones garbage day. I went back with my van and brought them home. They don't have lnbs nor the bracket behind to attach to pole.Don't have the 3 lnb assembly rods to hold in place.Does anyone know if the can be made from scrap metal pipe? I came across a thread that had some info but lost it.On the back it has a stamp. Part no. 3040646. Mould no 1.2m-1 Made in usa. The pan front had a name but a grey square is painted over it. This is on both dish pans. Can anyone point me for more help on this.Are these usefull for fta use on a hh motor ,or stationary , are they worth keeping? Thanks.

Have you thought about simply going back, knocking on their door, and asking if they have the other stuff? Perhaps it's laying around in their garage, and they would be more than happy for you to dig it out for them.

Maybe they even have other sat stuff laying around, and you can get that also! Doesn't hurt to ask. Most people are glad that somebody wants it, and it doesn't have to go into a landfill....

Ya,I may do that.But the last stroll by ,I noticed nobody home.No window curtains etc. I think they were cleaning out because they were moving.

replacement for missing mount:

Here's an old thread from 2005.
It discusses how to reduce the weight of a Primestar dish to be light enough to be flung around by a SG2100 motor.
Lots of ideas are presented throughout the thread for replacement mount ideas that'll interface your motor to the dish.
This is one of my favorites, but scroll through the entire thread and look at pictures for ideas and encouragement.

I looked around this site.Can't find any actual measurements, for the three arms that hold the lnb.I saw Skjellyfetti's posted photos of arms he made.So what I am asking is for the calculations for the 3 arms and I will have no problem making them myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts