Found a dish, need some opinions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
Alright, so I was driving by this house that I go by just about every day and finally decided to stop in and ask if she wanted to get rid of her old dish setup. She said yes, but she wants $50 for it. I asked if I could take a look at it.

The dish is all metal, it has a few dents in it, but they are on the outside lip, not in the actual area that reflects the signal. That shouldn't cause any problems, right? The last time she used the dish was three years ago. At that time the motor (actuator) worked, and so did the LNB. I have no idea if anything has changed since then though. The motor has exposed wires and they look pretty weathered, but most of the connections save a few are covered with electrical tape. I've been looking around and the majority of the dishes I see are mesh, so I'm thinking I may pay the $50 for the solid metal dish. What do you guys think?

The dish is a Laux Communications Inc. Beta dish. Not sure if that makes a difference.

The receiver that it comes with is a Uniden UST-4400. Does anyone have any particulars on this receiver?

The LNB I couldn't get anything model number or anything, all I could get was a patent number which is: 4504836

The motor has "STS" printed on it, and says 36 volt.

If anyone could give me any information about this setup and tell me if it's worth the $50, I would highly appreciate it. :D I'm excited as a kid in a candy shop right now. If only I had the camera when I was there. :(

The dents on the outside lip should not be a problem, if you can go back there I would recommend doing the string test to make sure that the dish is not warped.

You mentioned that the motor says it operates on 36 volts so I am guessing this is a big dish, I would say that for $50 just the dish alone would be a good deal, even better if the LNB and Motor work, but if they do not work the LNB and motor should not cost that much, atleast the shipping won't.

The dents on the outside lip should not be a problem, if you can go back there I would recommend doing the string test to make sure that the dish is not warped.

You mentioned that the motor says it operates on 36 volts so I am guessing this is a big dish, I would say that for $50 just the dish alone would be a good deal, even better if the LNB and Motor work, but if they do not work the LNB and motor should not cost that much, atleast the shipping won't.

How would you go about doing the string test? Also how would I know what motor and LNB would work with the dish? I'd like to get the universal C and KU band LNB from Sadoun if possible.

What I'd like to do is get the dish, a Mercury II receiver or a Viewsat VS2000 Xtreme, and the VBox II to control it. Would the VBox work with the 36volt motor? Thanks for the help. :)

Last edited:
if you carry a camera, a pic would be nice , but everything you said looks like a good deal, the uniden will (or should move the dish). but if you add a v-box it will move when you tell the merc or viewsat to move.

I believe the dish is a 10 footer, will the vbox be able to move it? Also, there were a hell of a lot more than four wires coming off of the actuator and into the receiver when i looked at it. Does that mean it's not compatible with the Vbox? I don't think the uniden is digital, just analog, so I'll no doubt have to get another receiver. I'll be able to take some pictures tomorrow hopefully.

One thing I'm still confused about is the type of dish I'm looking at. It has one arm coming out of the center of the dish, and then a short arm attached to the long arm leading to the LNB. Will the BSC621 work with my type of dish? Or am I gonna have to rig something up?

The dish sort of looks like this:

untitledtz6.jpg

excuse my bad drawing.

if you carry a camera, a pic would be nice , but everything you said looks like a good deal, the uniden will (or should move the dish). but if you add a v-box it will move when you tell the merc or viewsat to move.

sounds like a button hook design , most likely a newer corotor or a bsc621 will fit

with a picture we could tell. it might be possible depends on whats there.... is to remove the feedhorn without removing the scaler and just slide the newer bsc621 into the existing scaler.

sounds like a button hook design , most likely a newer corotor or a bsc621 will fit

with a picture we could tell. it might be possible depends on whats there.... is to remove the feedhorn without removing the scaler and just slide the newer bsc621 into the existing scaler.

Man, that would be nice. Less work. I'm hoping I'll just be able to loosen a few nuts and slide the thing off the pole it's mounted on, without screwing with the rest of the dish. It doesn't have any markings on it to readjust from what I could tell. Are the button hook dishes good or bad? Looks like I'm leaning towards the Viewsat VS2000 Xtreme. Do you have any experience with this particular receiver? Thanks again for the help. :)

Viewsat seems to be a pretty good receiver, though they seem to be slow about fixing bugs in the software. If that Uniden has a motor control, you can prob move the dish with it, unless you just want the v-box thing. (If the lady said she was using it-maybe verify with her if it moved the dish, or if she was just parked on one satellite)
Some of the Unidens had a separate motor control box, that connected to the receiver with a big cable, the motor wires went to that. I have a 9900 that still works fine, stored right now but it was constructed that way, maybe some folks didnt want a motor so they made it optional on some. Run 2 strings across the dish face at vert/horiz angles and see if the strings touch, or come really close to touching, a simple way to tell if the dish is warped .

Viewsat seems to be a pretty good receiver, though they seem to be slow about fixing bugs in the software. If that Uniden has a motor control, you can prob move the dish with it, unless you just want the v-box thing. (If the lady said she was using it-maybe verify with her if it moved the dish, or if she was just parked on one satellite)
Some of the Unidens had a separate motor control box, that connected to the receiver with a big cable, the motor wires went to that. I have a 9900 that still works fine, stored right now but it was constructed that way, maybe some folks didnt want a motor so they made it optional on some. Run 2 strings across the dish face at vert/horiz angles and see if the strings touch, or come really close to touching, a simple way to tell if the dish is warped .

I think the V-Box would probably be easier. Is there a way to use the uniden in combination with the Viewsat to move the dish to whatever I want to watch using the Viewsat?

I'm not sure if the uniden had a seperate control box or not. The room it was in was stuffed full of stuff and I could barely look at the box. She hasn't even touched the setup since her husband died three years ago, so I have no clue if the motor worked or not. She said it did three years ago. I turned the box on, but I couldn't figure out how to move the dish with it. Thanks for the string tip. I think the dish is ok, it didn't look warped and it was used up until three years ago.

Would you recommend the Viewsat or the Mecury II receiver? Which receiver would you recommend?

Also, is there a way to allow either the viewsat or the mercury II to control both the FTA dish and receive my DirecTV subscriptions? Is there something I could do that'll allow the receiver to pick up stations from my directv dish along with the FTA dish?

i don't nknow about this receiver ( viewsat vs 2000) but i'm sure someone here has one or knows of it . there might be a review in the equipment section or you can do a search here and find out about it. in the past the viewsats had poorer motor control but i then they have fixed this problem so it would be wise to do some reading before you lock down.

the button hook design has a flaw in that the weight of the feedhorn over time might make it sag. this is correctable.

i usually carry a can of PB Blaster ( a penatrating oil) and spray the bolts a day or two and let em soak.

i don't nknow about this receiver ( viewsat vs 2000) but i'm sure someone here has one or knows of it . there might be a review in the equipment section or you can do a search here and find out about it. in the past the viewsats had poorer motor control but i then they have fixed this problem so it would be wise to do some reading before you lock down.

the button hook design has a flaw in that the weight of the feedhorn over time might make it sag. this is correctable.

i usually carry a can of PB Blaster ( a penatrating oil) and spray the bolts a day or two and let em soak.

I've read the review on here, but it's old, and says it lacks blindscan, but others say it doesn't. I'm a little confused about that.

The feedhorn was pretty small, from the looks of it, and the shaft looked pretty stiff and solid. Now you've got me curious though. Will a little sag hurt anything? Like I said, it was working three years ago, or so she says.

She said she was going to spray some WD40 on the bolts and let it sit, hopefully she remembers. :eek:

I guess I could make a thread asking for opinions on the viewsat.

Thanks again. :)

if its a little feedhorn and was working good three years ago then probly it will be ok.

Makes me feel a lot better.

Do you know anything about combining signals from multiple satellites or anything? I know the viewsat has a card slot in it and I was wondering if I could use it to receive my DirecTV subscription also.

no that slot is about useless here in the usa

I can't think of a way these receivers would receive dtv or dish signals legally here in the usa

but there are others that can receive some subscriptions i don't know what type or from who . but its not for the two listed above.

no that slot is about useless here in the usa

I can't think of a way these receivers would receive dtv or dish signals legally here in the usa

but there are others that can receive some subscriptions i don't know what type or from who . but its not for the two listed above.

Awww. Thanks for the information.

Well I guess the next thing to do is get some pictures and see if you guys can tell me anything more about the setup. :) I appreciate the fast quick replies.

Just thought of a few more questions. Where can I get wire for the actuator? I know I'll need more of that. Also, how can I aim a dish that has no markings whatsoever on it?

using a compass i would take a reading and find out which way its pointed.

if you powered on the receiver did it list a satellite & channel like C1 1

if so write this down. i also use markers and mark where everything lines up
like the dish mount & pole the dish & the mounting ring (if you remove)

you can also number or letter and write em down ( i'm not so elaberate but i usually move them in one piece) a bolts to b, c bolts to d ect.

the wires to the motor are two 14 awg red & white
and 3 strands of 22 awg with a unwrapped gnd. so probably a rat shack or a electrical store will have these.

Last edited:
using a compass i would take a reading and find out which way its pointed.

if you powered on the receiver did it list a satellite & channel like C1 1

if so write this down. i also use markers and mark where everything lines up
like the dish mount & pole the dish & the mounting ring (if you remove)

you can also number or letter and write em down ( i'm not so elaberate but i usually move them in one piece) a bolts to b, c bolts to d ect.

the wires to the motor are two 14 awg red & white
and 3 strands of 22 awg with a unwrapped gnd. so probaby a rat shack or a electrical store will have these.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely print this out and follow it. The receiver did tell me a satellite and channel that it was on, but I can't recall what they were. I did change the channel a few times.

Is there a special type of wire I should look for or ask for, or what should I say so I know I'll be getting the right wire. BTW, what is the limit for length that the RG6 cable can be, and what's the "policy" for making connections? Anything special I should know?

well get the remotes & manuals if they have em.

i don't think any special wires . if you would prefer to run the all in one type cable. some places sell it its called ribbon cable it usually has two strands of coax and the motor wires & polorotor wires . usually it sells for around $1 /ft maybe you can get it cheaper.

main thing on placement is line of sight (LOS) so you would need to pick a place in your yard that has a veiw of the arc you want to see. i have runs of coax of 150 ft i have heard of 250 ft runs but if you can get it to 100ft or less it would be great.

connections policy ?? if you mean what type are the best , i used to use crimp ons but now i use compression.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts