Found Directv dish in trash - useful for fta ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChuckS2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Gang - I just pulled a Directv dish and mount out of a dumpster, in fine shape, and curious if
it can be used for dvb-s and what the lnb setup would be (10750?). It's labled WNC model FW9,
and has a serial number. There's another pair, model FW2 for 110/119 deg. Just getting
one to work would be ok for now - the mount looks better than the Globecast dish I have
now as it has threaded rods for Az/El.

My receivers are a Globecast and a Technisat Skystar2 pci card (which is a lot of fun in
Linux).

Thanks.

Sounds like you have that HD dish that has the funny shape to it (like a rounded square) I'd love to have that mount myself ;) (I'd swap the dish pan for the 30" one I have here)

Not sure about the current LNB's on the end of it there, but you could change them to a standard circular or put a mount for a linear out there...

A DirecTV Phase III dish can be used (AS ABOVE) just like a DirecTV 18" dish it simply defaults to just the 101w LNB. (The LNB on the right when standing behind the dish)

Ok - Looks like circular polarisation and freq over 12200 are going to make the lnb unusable for general fta use.

Yes, it's the rounded square dish. Mount for a linear ... hmmmm.

I guess someone just moved out of their apartment and left it, and the apartment mgmt just tossed it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
WRONG 99% of FTA usues Linear polarization :)

What channels and satellites were you hoping to get!

Yeah - I'm still learning what's what.

Saturday I got PBS HD on AMC3 at 87W - using a Globecast cheapie dish and a Technisat Skystar2 card in Linux, playing it with "mplayer". A one hour program makes an 8 giga-byte file - zowie.

Attachments

• Pict0083.JPG
    Pict0083.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 274
if you don't want that dish, I'd love to have it!

But if you want to use it, you can get a "Multi LNB Mount" off an auction site and modify the dish accordingly. That dish would be a good one for G10R then side saddle 119 for audio with the proper LNBFs.

Last edited:
I verified the trash-dish is a DirecTV AT9, so someone just threw away $99.
Also found the "multi lnb mount" on sale - looks very interesting but I would have to research and learn how to position them correctly.

it comes with directions... the one that's just a bar works good, but you have to mess with it too much, the one with the 3 lnb mounts and the pipes is much better, and it comes with directions.

What I'd do with that setup... Ditch the LNBF that is on there, replace with the LNB mount you found that has a linear LNBF clamp. Aim that at G10R. Use the rest of the parts to get NASA and the radio channels off the other near by DBS birds.

Thanks - that sounds like a plan I can do.

You guys are great!

oh yea, skew the dish, not the LNB's....

that way all them will be on the belt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)