Four MOCA Bars, but Yellow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I've been having trouble with my Joeys disconnecting from the Hoppers periodically since 213 rolled out. Originally I had Internet connections going into both of my Hoppers; everything else was connected via the RG6 MOCA network. Per recommendations here, I pulled one of the Internet connections. The Joey problems persisted. Upon further research, I saw another recommendation to pull all Internet connections until the next Hopper software update is released. I did so and haven't had any Joey problems.

However, as I was checking things out, I noticed that my MOCA network strength is showing four, yellow bars across the network. Prior to 213, I had four green bars everywhere. Other than the external internet connection and 213, nothing else has changed.

Thoughts?

What kind of wiring do you have? What are your MoCA stats? YELLOW - BLUE - 3 - VIEW COUNTERS - PAGE DN to MoCA stats.

Near the bottom - Stats under "MoCA Devices"

Need the TxUc PHY, RxUc PHY, RxUc RxPower for each connected device.

I've got 3Ghz RG6 everywhere. I even replaced all barrels and connectors with 3Ghz versions when the Hoppers were installed.

MOCA network is fed by a DPP44 connected to 110, 119 & 129. Last time I checked the MOCA signal strength (prior to S213) I had four green MOCA bars. I have not changed any physical wiring or connections. I'll try to pull the stats tonight or tomorrow.

Also, none of my end to end distances are over 100'

Interesting development. Last night after posting, I traded out one of the dish-approved Holland 3-way splitters that I use to feed 3 Joeys off one of the Duo Nodes client ports (for a 2.4gHz Ideal 3-way splitter) and the MOCA signal actually got worse for the affected Joeys; the signal strength bars turned red. Again, last time I used the Ideal splitters, MOCA strength was four bars green. I am wondering now if some of the new software releases have adjusted the thresholds for the MOCA signal strength and the 3-way split now falls under the level for "green" signal strength.

Tonight I will first see if I have S215 and if there is any change to the MOCA strength reading. If no change, I am going to try to test a 2-way split on the client port to see what happens. If I get a "green" signal, I may tried to tap the 3rd and 6th Joey off the Host port instead to see if this improve the MOCA strength.

Funny thing is that since I pulled all Internet connections, none of the Joey have lost Hopper connectivity. PQ and functionality has been fine as well.

If you have a spare coupler, or 2-way splitter, you could try isolating the lines and seeing which one is the problem...

Finally had the time to start isolating Joey connections. I found a bad right-angle coupler (it was one of the new 3gHz replacements I had installed for the Hopper). Replaced it and now have 4 green MOCA bars across the board. Based on my experience and others I have read about; it appears that anything less than 4 green MOCA bars is probably wiring related.

Good deal. Yep anything less than 4 green MoCA bars is unacceptable for Dish installers to leave. So yeah I'm sure chances are high that anything less is definitely related to the wiring. The only other factor I can think of is too much length (more than 200' between the farthest Hopper and the farthest Joey/Hopper/HIC.) Or long lengths of RG59 or RG59 with 2 taps.

Installed my 3rd Hopper right after getting my MOCA signal strength back to normal (4 green bars) and immediately went back to 4 yellow bars when I cross-connected the client ports on the two Duo Nodes. Looks like another day of one-by-one elimination.

However, none of my combined runs exceed 100'; all connections are home-run to the middle of the house. This may be an anomoly of introducing the third Hoppper into the system. I keep everyone posted.

What if you needed to do more than 200 feet of coax? Can you amplify it like you do a television antenna? I know with ethernet cable all you have to do is put a switch in every 200-300 feet (330 feet is supposed to be the limit).

Installed my 3rd Hopper right after getting my MOCA signal strength back to normal (4 green bars) and immediately went back to 4 yellow bars when I cross-connected the client ports on the two Duo Nodes. Looks like another day of one-by-one elimination.

However, none of my combined runs exceed 100'; all connections are home-run to the middle of the house. This may be an anomoly of introducing the third Hoppper into the system. I keep everyone posted.

Are you using 75-ohm terminators on all unused MoCA ports? Using any RG59? I also have 3 Hoppers, however instead of 2 Duo Nodes I just used a Duo and a Solo Node. All receivers are four green bars. Here's my setup :-

Attachments

• 3HaloODST 3 Hopper Config.jpg
    3HaloODST 3 Hopper Config.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,704
I would think so, but one might get by with placing 75-ohm terminators on the extra unused CLIENT and HOST ports on the second Duo Node. Not sure if that's ideal though.

3HaloODST thanks for the input. I, in fact, used your diagram and only substitued the Duo Node for the Solo Node.

Hopper Config - 3 Hoppers & 5 Joeys.jpg

I've only used RG6 since I first installed Dish in my house 13 years ago and all open ports are termininated with 75-ohm teminators.

I used the Duo Node so I could split the Joeys across the open client ports on both Duo Nodes without having to use taps. Other than the yellow MOCA strength bars, all is working fine. All Joeys can see and link to all Hoppers; all Hoppers can see all other Hoppers and Joeys. DVR recordings from all Hoppers play everywhere.

I'm assuming that I have another bad component or wire somehwhere in the MOCA network.

Last edited:
thats funny, because tyhey forgot to tell us installers that little fact.

Good deal. Yep anything less than 4 green MoCA bars is unacceptable for Dish installers to leave. So yeah I'm sure chances are high that anything less is definitely related to the wiring. The only other factor I can think of is too much length (more than 200' between the farthest Hopper and the farthest Joey/Hopper/HIC.) Or long lengths of RG59 or RG59 with 2 taps.

Yeah make sure to check the NODES if having issue with the install.. It seems there are some bad ones that our out there it might take switching out more than one to resolve the issues maybe 3 like I have said they had 2 bad ones on my install..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)