teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Sorry guys,

I couldn't post to the last thread as it is tooooooo ooooolllllddddd;)

Heard back from Fox today. Here is his update. I'll try my E* contact again.

Hi Scott,

We should have something with DirecTV by the end of the year. We are trying to get them to carry us full bandwidth and not compress us like they do all the other stations. Dish will not even talk to us, I suspect they have a capacity problem. It could be a long time before anything happens here.

xxxxxxxxxx

I've got an e-mail to the person in charge of the West Coast for E*. Hopefully he'll have an update.

Scott

Don't hold your breaths. We all know that E* DOES have a capacity problem. At one point they probably did want to add Fox, but Fox dragged their feet, and now E* is busy trying to add more cities to the HD locals list. They can't fit all the major networks from all the major cities on their HD transponders, so they probably figure that Sac has enough HD locals for them to advertise that Sac is covered adequately, then at some point in a year or two when they get more birds up, they can add the rest.

redman042 said:
Don't hold your breaths. We all know that E* DOES have a capacity problem. At one point they probably did want to add Fox, but Fox dragged their feet, and now E* is busy trying to add more cities to the HD locals list. They can't fit all the major networks from all the major cities on their HD transponders, so they probably figure that Sac has enough HD locals for them to advertise that Sac is covered adequately, then at some point in a year or two when they get more birds up, they can add the rest.
They only need to add Sac 40 to the 110 or 129 satellite. I'm guessing they have room.

If Fox 40 is controlled by Tribune, I think you would do better directing your e-mails to them (although admittedly the chances are slim no matter what is done). Unless if I'm mistaken, isn't this station uplinked and just waiting for retransmission consent? I think you are in the same boat as we are in Seattle with KCPQ. Check out the Seattle HD Locals thread.

BlackHitachi said:
Please let us know what you find out! I really want (KTXL - Fox) and(KMAX - CW31).

I too would love to have it, but not going to happen. I watch it OTA. In fact I watch most OTA. I only use the Sat channels when there is MORE than two things on at the same time. I'm just waiting until the beginning of next year when they get their DD encoders installed and can listen to everything as intended instead of 2.0.

S~

Just heard back from my Fox peep again. They are asking for the full 19.4 MBs that they transmit OTA and give to C*. To quote:

"Satellite viewers should not have to experience quality loss that the over the air or Comcast viewers do not have to tolerate."

Scott

Why does Fox feel the need to dictate how Dish retransmits the signal? Let Dish overcompress and downrez, then let the customers decide if they will tolerate it or not. For now we will, because we have to, but once the options get better and there are other higher quality choices, Dish will have to make some changes.

I don't think that's the answer. Dish simply can't do it right now. As much as we all hate HD Lite, that's the only way we're going to get all the content we want. At the same time, CUSTOMERS (not the stations) need to keep pressing them towards full HD, and as soon as they have enough birds in the sky, they need to give it to us. But launching satellites is EXTREMELY expensive and takes a lot of time. Ain't gonna happen overnight. Period.

Just heard back from my Fox peep again. They are asking for the full 19.4 MBs that they transmit OTA and give to C*. To quote:

"Satellite viewers should not have to experience quality loss that the over the air or Comcast viewers do not have to tolerate."

Scott

So, in other words they want E* to carry their subchannels. Fox never sends out more than 15Mb/s over the splicer.

Exactly George, reading between the lines you can pretty much see the hang up is with channel 40-2, The Tube. Tribune wants that channel on satellite, Dish does not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)