Fox Appealing Judge's Denial of Hopper 'Anywhere' Injunction

That's the sad part is they will keep trying until one sides with them. And eventually one will.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think this has anything to do with sling. I think Fox is trying to use this as a way to shut down Aereo. From the article...
Fox argued, “Paying Dish for a satellite television subscription does not buy anyone the right to receive Fox’s live broadcast signal over the Internet or to make copies of Fox programs to watch 'on the go,' because Dish does not have the right to offer these services to its subscribers in the first place."
Isn't that what Aereo is doing?

FWIW: I do not think networks/broadcasters should prevail in the Aereo fight and I don't think Fox should prevail in this one. That being said, does anyone for a moment think Charlie wouldn't "judge hop" if the roles were reversed?

I don't think this has anything to do with sling. I think Fox is trying to use this as a way to shut down Aereo. From the article...

FWIW: I do not think networks/broadcasters should prevail in the Aereo fight and I don't think Fox should prevail in this one. That being said, does anyone for a moment think Charlie wouldn't "judge hop" if the roles were reversed?

Fox decided to go after Dish's Sling functionality in their demented battle over Prime Time Anytime (PTAT)

Fox decided to go after Dish's Sling functionality in their demented battle over Prime Time Anytime (PTAT)
OK. For half a moment, lets say Fox gets a court to say "sling technology is illegal" (no, I don't believe that). What is the follow on argument to convert that over to PTAT being illegal?

However, if a court says "Dish can't sling the signals to customers", that's EXACTLY what Aereo is doing and gives Fox (or other networks) an opening to shut down Aereo.

What you quoted refers specifically to Dish Anywhere: "receive Fox's live broadcast over the internet" and Ipod Transfers: "make copies of Fox programs to watch on the go".

How does Sling negatively affect Fox? A Dish customer *does* pay for access to Fox programming by virtue of having local channels and/or a qualifying package, and said customer is simply viewing that same programming remotely. The dishanywhere.com system is locked down through encryption and password protection, so it's not like people are viewing it for free. So, what's Fox's problem with it?

Last edited:
They want extra subscription fees to allow the content to be viewed remotely. It's a money grab.

If a customer is paying for service, it does not matter where he watches the service he paid for, no matter if its in his living room, his bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom or on his cell phone. He is accessing his service and only one person can access the service at any time.

Hey FOX... I am paying for my service... I WILL watch it where I want. That genie left the bottle a long time ago!

If a customer is paying for service, it does not matter where he watches the service he paid for, no matter if its in his living room, his bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom or on his cell phone. He is accessing his service and only one person can access the service at any time. Hey FOX... I am paying for my service... I WILL watch it where I want. That genie left the bottle a long time ago!

This is EXACTLY my point. I (we) paid for it, now we can watch it wherever the heck we want!

What you quoted refers specifically to Dish Anywhere: "receive Fox's live broadcast over the internet" and Ipod Transfers: "make copies of Fox programs to watch on the go".
I know. I think Fox is trying to be sneaky and go after Aereo. What does Aereo allow a customer to do? Watch live broadcast TV over the internet, and DVR the shows you want. That's exactly what Fox is trying to shutdown. They failed trying to shutdown Aereo directly, so now they're trying to shut down dish technology that has been around for how many years?

If they get a judge to agree, they can go back to that judge or another judge and shut down Aereo.

How does Sling negatively affect Fox? A Dish customer *does* pay for access to Fox programming by virtue of having local channels and/or a qualifying package, and said customer is simply viewing that same programming remotely. The dishanywhere.com system is locked down through encryption and password protection, so it's not like people are viewing it for free. So, what's Fox's problem with it?
Hope the judge asks Fox, "Why now instead of back in 2005 when the first Slingbox came out?".

Hope the judge asks Fox, "Why now instead of back in 2005 when the first Slingbox came out?".

Yea, slingbox was a seperate service before it was ever incorporated into the receivers. As far as I know you could sling any programming, provided of course that you had the programming (by paying for it).

Because Sling was a separate company and was not associated with a TV distributor. Now Dish owns sling and Dish has a contract with FOX. Dish has put sling into Dish hardware. FOX should have no trouble saying they are suing now because things are different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts