Fox Closed Captioning is gibberish

jetjock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 17, 2004
Has anyone been able to get their 921 to properly display the closed captioning for the Dallas FOX OTA station - or any other digital OTA FOX stations? My two 921s handle the CC from all the other local digital OTA stations correctly but FOX is gibberish. After emailing FOX several times they are convinced that the problem isn't on their end. I also have a Sony HDTV with a built in HDTV tuner and it can't seem to handle this station's CC either unless I set it to only display basic CC - i.e. no font choice, no color choice, only black background, etc. FOX seems to be the only local transmitting in 720p while all the others transmit in 1080i. I have tried every possible setting on the 921 and nothing has helped.

It is a known bug that the 921 cannot handle CC on channels that are broadcast in 720p.

Hopefully they will fix it soon.

The problem when you use the CC on the TV's OTA tuner, I can't help you with that so hopefully someone else can.

Yeah, I had seen a post some time back about others having problems with 720p tranmissions and CC on the 921 but what surprised me is that even my Sony's built-in tuner can't handle it either. I like to have the CC on because I have been flying jets for 25 years and the ears ain't as good as they used to be but my kids complain about CC with the basic white letters on black background because they say it covers up too much of the picture. The 921's CC options for no background box at all solved this except in the case of FOX.

jetjock said:
Yeah, I had seen a post some time back about others having problems with 720p tranmissions and CC on the 921 but what surprised me is that even my Sony's built-in tuner can't handle it either. I like to have the CC on because I have been flying jets for 25 years and the ears ain't as good as they used to be but my kids complain about CC with the basic white letters on black background because they say it covers up too much of the picture. The 921's CC options for no background box at all solved this except in the case of FOX.
Do they both use the same chipsets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)