Fox Corp. Warns Viewers Of Its Networks About Potential DirecTV Blackout

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bruce and I never agree on anything, and Bruce is right. Password sharing is stealing, that simple.

Anyway, Fox’s strategy is not to lose money, and it isn’t losing money. It is fair to say that Fox has a different view of the supposed inevitability of non-linear streaming. Time will tell who is right, but my money is on Fox (literally).

But the new world of multiple options makes retransmission issues different. In the not too distant past, if one of the three providers (DISH, DirecTV, local cable bandit) dropped a channel, it was an investment of time and generally money to switch. Now it is just signing up for a linear streaming alternative, or stealing from one. And some of the material is on other services you might be paying for anyway.

This should, over time, cause retransmission prices to go down. It also is why no provider will ever sell sports a la carte.
Stopping password sharing is not all that hard. If streaming services wanted to stop it they would. Netflix is taking that step now and I will happily pay for the sub account to keep it "legal" when that happens.

And again, I am paying for the service. If Directv and Fox can't figure out how to deliver it to me, I have no choice but to figure it out myself. Let me be very clear...I will happily pay for anything I want to watch, but sharing a password with someone that lives 200 feet away from me is the only way I can watch, that's what I'm doing.

Reactions: evetsmc
I'm in the DFW market & I haven't as yet seen any Crawlers on the channel indicating the carriage dispute. I may have missed it but I've been tuning into KDFW Channel 4 for the last 2-3 days off & on.

The reason may be that KDFW appears to be owned (according to the small print at the end of their local news at the bottom of the screen) by "NW Communications of North Texas" (or something close to that).
NW Communications of North Texas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fox. The NW is “New World” which was a TV station group Fox bought back in the 90s.

You are affected.

Reactions: scoop8
One more thing...it's pretty easy for some of you get up on a soapbox and accuse me of piracy, but come Saturday morning if (and to me, that's still a very big if) you can't see that game, don't pretend you're not going to call your cousin with Comcast to get their login.

Reactions: HIFI and Mr Tony
Stopping password sharing is not all that hard. If streaming services wanted to stop it they would.
So, if streaming services don’t do a good job at stopping password sharing, it is ok to do so?
Netflix is taking that step now and I will happily pay for the sub account to keep it "legal" when that happens.And again, I am paying for the service.
So based on what you wrote, you are only willing to pay once they crack down on password sharing, reads like stealing to me.
I am paying for the service. If Directv and Fox can't figure out how to deliver it to me, I have no choice but to figure it out myself
Again, the only one being paid is DirecTV, the Traditional Provider.

The one providing the content and the TV Everywhere app is not being paid during the dispute.
. Let me be very clear...I will happily pay for anything I want to watch
But you are not, if you really wanted to pay, you could do so, but you are choosing to steal the programming.
, but sharing a password with someone that lives 200 feet away from me is the only way I can watch, that's what I'm doing.
And that is stealing, if I had a Gas Station within 200 feet of my home, it is ok for me to go there and steal Gas or a bottle of pop and a Candy Bar, if I did so, the business would not be paid for those items ( and I would get arrested if caught), just like Fox is not being paid, but you are basically justifying it because nothing will happen to you.

People do not understand if more and more do what you are doing, then the content providers make less money ( per sub fees), then cannot produce the content.

For example, ESPN has lost 30 million subscribers (per sub fees), I have no doubt that a lot of those that left are using Friends/Families Login for Watch ESPN.

But since ESPN is not making as much as they used to, they are starting to have issues with new contracts ( Rights), for example they just lost the Big Ten Contract because they could not compete with what CBS (Paramount+), NBC(Peacock) and Fox offered.

Okay, enough with who is or isn't stealing services. Any more and there will be thread bans or I'll close the thread.

Reactions: Mr Tony
NW Communications of North Texas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fox. The NW is “New World” which was a TV station group Fox bought back in the 90s.

You are affected.
Thanks for the info. I'm watching KDFW Ch 4 now & so far they haven't had the Crawler alert appear on the broadcast which to me is unexpected as the deadline is tomorrow. They may be running ads that I haven't as yet seen.

I am a big first amendment guy, but crawler ads about channels going away on this or that provider should be made illegal.

Reactions: HIFI
I am a big first amendment guy, but crawler ads about channels going away on this or that provider should be made illegal.
What in the world would the first amendment have to do with a privet company? You dont have first amendment rights here?

But since ESPN is not making as much as they used to, they are starting to have issues with new contracts ( Rights), for example they just lost the Big Ten Contract because they could not compete with what CBS (Paramount+), NBC(Peacock) and Fox offered.

ESPN has always lowballed rights contracts, a lowball offer from ESPN was why the Big Ten created their own network 15 years ago.

The difference is that there are more interested bidders than just ESPN now, so they may need to offer more if they want to win rights over the other networks.

I didn't find a crawl on my local Fox (on Directv) however, my Fox 1 and 2 are now off as well as the Big Ten Network ...
well they were earlier ... there is the posted secondary page showing that they are working on an agreement, but it looks like the Channels are still up .... maybe they came to an agreement ???

My local Fox isn't effected because its a joint venture with the local CBS affiliate.

it's now 3 after midnight PT, 2:03 AM CT channels removal should start soon if no short term deal or new long term agreement has been reached.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

update at 4:33 AM CT, all Fox channels involved in the dispute are still "live", i wonder if a short term agreement was reached for the channels to remain on until after the US/Netherlands World Cup round of 16.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

so someone did some poor wording and got the date of the deal ending wrong, it actually ends December 3rd instead.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

DFW Market : Local Fox affiliate KDFW Ch 4 is still on as of this post. FS1 also on. Perhaps they agreed to keep the affected Fox outlets lit while negotiations are ongoing or agreed to a temporary deal to keep them lit.

There's a new post on the 'net but otherwise, all seems quiet as that's most likely a 'blackout' info mode while negotiations may be coming to a successful conclusion (we hope).

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fox-directv-deadline-passes-without-a-blackout-starting