Fox discusses deal with Conan O'Brien

Unfortunately that won't happen, as not keeping Leno's audience is why he was let go in the first place.

It is hard to say what will happen. FOX has much better ratings than NBC, so it is possible that FOX can divert more viewers to his show than NBC could. Also if a % of Leno's audience goes to Conan it could drop Leno below Letterman.

With new FOX viewers and a % of Leno Conan might be able to pass Leno. Actually if you were to take the same % of FOX viewers as the % of NBC viewers he was able to get, he would pass Leno because FOX has so much higher ratings than NBC.

CBS has more shows in the top 20 Prime Time lineup then any other network.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/16/AR2010031603071.html That shows how good Leno is . Even with NBC not having one single show in the top 20 ratings for the week of March 8-14 Leno still beats Letterman.
Fox has 4 shows in the top 20
CBS has 14 shows in the top 20
NBC had none.
ABC has just two.

Conan is going to have to make his show better if he goes to FOX. With CBS having a strong lineup and yet Letterman still can't beat Leno shows you can't count on Prime Time shows to help you.

Now all of these guys have an advantage that Carson , Tom Synder , etc never had. You can record the show and watch it later. Back years ago you had to stay up to watch late night . Before the VCR you had to stay up to watch the show. I don't know of many people who owned a VCR before 1980. That's why most will tell you they watched Johnny Carson during the first half hour or so and went to bed. He had some of his best guest on Friday night because they knew viewers would stay up and watch. When Carson did has Anniversary Shows they got huge ratings because they did them in Prime Time and many viewers watched clips of his show for the very first time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that won't happen, as not keeping Leno's audience is why he was let go in the first place.

Well when Dana Carvey was on Leno they did mention that The George Lopez show is now competition.. hehe worried at NBC now LOL

Just to be clear...

It hasn't been decided whether the show would launch in the fall or January

Conan's deal to leave the Tonight Show had an agreement that he wouldn't start a competing show right away. I think the deal meant he couldn't do it until the following season.

Just to be clear...

It hasn't been decided whether the show would launch in the fall or January

Conan's deal to leave the Tonight Show had an agreement that he wouldn't start a competing show right away. I think the deal meant he couldn't do it until the following season.

According to the im with coco face-book account which is the official Conan watchdog, he can return in early September to tv.

He better not start in January. That is a long long time in Television Land . September would be the best month but I'm still thinking it may not happen.

It is important to understand that the return of Leno to 11:35 was because he failed at 10, not because O'Brien failed there.

That said, there are simply two issues here.

First, another late night show just divides the audience. The audience is not that big in the first place, and as some point you just reach the point where its best to try something different.

Second, is that Fox affiliates are an independent lot. Many have a good success with a sitcom rerun at 11 (especiall in the CT/MT areas, where we are talking about 10) and may not want to give up that to the network, and many will not even want to give up 11:30.

It is important to understand that the return of Leno to 11:35 was because he failed at 10, not because O'Brien failed there.

That said, there are simply two issues here.

First, another late night show just divides the audience. The audience is not that big in the first place, and as some point you just reach the point where its best to try something different.

Second, is that Fox affiliates are an independent lot. Many have a good success with a sitcom rerun at 11 (especiall in the CT/MT areas, where we are talking about 10) and may not want to give up that to the network, and many will not even want to give up 11:30.

if my memory serves me correctly, o'brien started losing the tonight audience before leno's show debuted. leno's show started in august. conan had already been on tonight when he started losing to letterman.

if my memory serves me correctly, o'brien started losing the tonight audience before leno's show debuted. leno's show started in august. conan had already been on tonight when he started losing to letterman.

All this crap was already rehashed in the other Tonight Show on NBC thread. You missed it when it was going on. Let's not start again.

Yes, but Leno's 10:00 numbers were so awful that NBC affiliates were on the verge of a revolt. If Leno has simply gone away, ala Carson, NBC would have been fine with what O'Brien was doing at 11:35.

Conan, without argument, DID fail. In household demos, he was running #3 in the time slot. From 1 to 3...that's no success. And Yaz is right...old news.

Hey they BOTH failed in their time slots. IF fact I saw on another new site that since they moved Leno out of the 10:00 eastern/9:00pm central, their network ratings for that time slot are up 45 % .

Conan-Fox talks resume amid 'Idol' offer

By Nellie Andreeva & James Hibberd
Exclu: After a two-week stall, Fox and Conan O'Brien have resumed talks about a potential late-night talk show fronted by the former "Tonight Show" host.
But a wrinkle in the courtship has emerged that involves the biggest show on television: O'Brien has been approached to take part in Fox's "Idol Gives Back" special April 21.
Source & More: thrfeed.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)