FOX Dispute?

And I will say, while I am looking at options for when my contract runs out, even though I've had either Directv or Dish since 1995, and Youtube TV looks pretty amazing for the price and channels and responsiveness to customers, nothing I've looked at or experienced is as good as the Dish Hopper 3 DVR system. I hate, on Netflix or Hulu or AmPrime, how the FF and REW work compared to the Dish system. If I move, I will miss the Hopper 3 system.

Dish can't "block" an OTA feed of course. They could drop the listings from the EPG I suppose, but WXXA Fox 23 has been off Dish in the Albany, NY DMA for I think a couple of months now, and the OTA listings are still there and working.
Yeah, when we lost NBC due to a dispute, they still left the OTA NBC guide info up and allowed you to record, etc.
That is because, whenever one of these disputes is looming, Dish will remove the OTA guide mapdown link from the satellite-delivered feed of the local channel, and uplink a separate guide data stream to mapdown to the OTA channel instead. That way, when the satellite-delivered feed gets removed, and its guide info gets changed to the dispute message, the OTA station will still have the proper guide info. This brings me to a point raised in the other thread:
Where did this come from all of a sudden. How come we didn't notice it. Usually they give people a heads up! ...
Some of us did know that this was coming, due to the uplink activity I described above. That was our heads up. I even posted about it in another thread at the time:
Dish started preparing for this on July 17. Here is the uplink report:
Uplink Activity Updates » Blog Archive » 7/17/19 at 3:16pm ET (v20) – 119 changes seen
Dish removed the OTA guide map-down from the satellite-delivered versions of a bunch of Fox-owned TV stations, and added separate OTA guide data streams for those channels instead. This is a move that Dish typically makes ahead of a pending dispute, in case the satellite-delivered locals get removed, so that OTA viewers still have guide data on their Dish receivers.
That is why it is important to read as many threads here as possible, or at least read the uplink reports, available here: Uplink Activity Updates
since news like this does not always get its own thread, at least not until the dispute actually happens.

That is an interesting idea. I have for a long time thought that Dish should switch to regional pricing for the locals, since Dish's cost to carry the local package must vary widely from market to market, and the price they charge subscribers should reflect that. That way, we are only paying for channels that we are actually receiving, instead of having the price averaged out for everyone across the entire country. Your suggestion would be even more granular than that, with the price of the locals varying for each individual subscriber. With the locals already broken out as a separate line item on the bill (for most packages) and with a possible need to switch to regional pricing anyway due to the FSN dispute, this would be the perfect time to start changing the price of the locals package for each market (if not each subscriber) to reflect the actual costs involved to carry the locals in each market. Dish could still advertise a certain minimum baseline price for each programming package (and/or for the locals add-on pack) and then the more expensive markets would see a surcharge on the bill.
Add Chicago to the list of markets without a RSN on Dish, due to the NBC Sports Chicago dispute. Pretty soon, Dish will have to lower the price of the basic packages, and charge extra in the few markets that still have their RSN. Otherwise, Dish could just drop the remaining RSN's when those contracts expire, and just go without the normally scheduled price increase for the basic packages next year.

Has anyone tried out Hulu TV? If so, what do you think of it?
Bought a Roku Premiere device last Friday and activated Hulu + Live TV (free one week trial).
So far, so good :). Has my Atlanta DMA RSNs, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, so I'm happy. May have to cut back on what I subscribe to on Dish.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Bought a Roku Premiere device last Friday and activated Hulu + Live TV (free one week trial).
So far, so good :). Has my Atlanta DMA RSNs, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, so I'm happy. May have to cut back on what I subscribe to on Dish.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Does it have a nice TV guide? Does the cloud work good?

Haven't really "explored" the product's capabilities in detail. Perhaps someone that has had it longer than 5 days (me :)) can help with those questions.
Take advantage of the free one week trial. You can then see if it meets you needs.
OK, thanks. I did the YouTube trail thru my LG TV app last weekend. The next big thing I want from FS1 I am going to try the Hulu trail thru my 4K Firestick.

Is there a FOX dispute? I am at work and I went to DishPromise.com to see if NBC Sports Chicago was resolved, and now I see FOX is all over the place with no FS1, FS2, Big10 Network. Or is this forthcoming?

We’re disappointed to see FOX put our customers in the middle of its negotiations by choosing to remove their channels from DISH’s lineup FOX is demanding a double-digit percentage rate increase for continued carriage of its local channels. FOX is also attempting to “force bundle” it’s local channels with unrelated cable networks to get more money, and gain negotiating leverage.For the most up-to-date information regarding our negotiations visit DISHpromise.com. -Kim H.

Canned response.
We’re disappointed to see FOX put our customers in the middle of its negotiations by choosing to remove their channels from DISH’s lineup FOX is demanding a double-digit percentage rate increase for continued carriage of its local channels. FOX is also attempting to “force bundle” it’s local channels with unrelated cable networks to get more money, and gain negotiating leverage.For the most up-to-date information regarding our negotiations visit DISHpromise.com. -Kim H.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

We’re disappointed to see FOX put our customers in the middle of its negotiations by choosing to remove their channels from DISH’s lineup. FOX is demanding a double-digit percentage rate increase for continued carriage of its local channels. FOX is also attempting to “force bundle” it’s local channels with unrelated cable networks to get more money, and gain negotiating leverage.We are working to bring your channels back at a fair price. --Trisha R.
Canned response.
Yes, and it is pretty much the exact same canned response already given by Trisha R.
I guess Kim H. does not read Trisha R.'s posts, or it would have been apparent that this was already a case of "asked and answered." :p

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Yes, and it is pretty much the exact same canned response already given by Trisha R.
I guess Kim H. does not read Trisha R.'s posts, or it would have been apparent that this was already a case of "asked and answered." :p
I love having Dish Support, but miss the old days when they would simply post a one sentence liner to send them a private message, so they could see if they could help. The current incarnation does remind me of talking to a voice enabled phone system. That's just going off many of the posts I ready here.

I love having Dish Support, but miss the old days when they would simply post a one sentence liner to send them a private message, so they could see if they could help. The current incarnation does remind me of talking to a voice enabled phone system. That's just going off many of the posts I ready here.
Go to their Facebook page and try it there, if you can get past the people complaining.

Reactions: The Fat Man

I'm with you on that. The old DIRT members helped me many times.

I knew at one time but have forgotten as of a few months ago. :(
ROFL1.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)