FOX is at it again

You missed my point, completely. It IS user controlled, you must make the decision and effort to skip, just as you do now. The default is Auto Hop off. You are doing what the Networks are doing. The end result is the same, getting there is different, but still consumer controlled. Going by your thinking there can be no advancements in technology to accomplish the same thing.

As for ads on websites, very close to that is available now. Adblock hides many, and you can go into browsers and block sites, including where ads come from.

"Adblock Plus will always block annoying ads.Still, many websites rely on advertising revenues so we want to encourage websites to use plain and unobtrusive advertising instead of flashy banners. That's why the Adblock Plus community has establishedstrict guidelines to identify acceptable ads, and Adblock Plus allows these out of the box. You can always disable this feature if you want to block all ads.

I agree with Tampa. I skip ads when watching shows via DVR (non hopper). If I'm watching something "live", I'll generally channel hop during commercial breaks.

As far as internet ads, I use Adblock Plus on ALL websites. It makes a HUGE difference.

Man,speaking of adblock plus.I use it with FF and Chrome,unfortunately you can't with IE.I rarely use IE though,was testing it out for the myfilestore redirect last week,I had forgotten just how bad those pop up ads were.IE was literally flooded with them in 5 minutes of use.

Just turn off popups without prompting in IE.

My favorite setting in chrome is no flash unless you click on it. Stops annoying ads from auto playing.

Skipping commercials is no different then you going to the bathroom, or getting up and getting a beer from your fridge. One of the network CEO's even said this before.

If you have ever done this then you are an outlaw too. :)
There have been times I went to the bathroom, and felt like an outlaw afterwards.

I do, as I imagine most people who use ABP do. Why would anyone want some internet ads?

Two reasons: First , you may want to support the website. If you click on some of the ads, the website gets revenue. No ads, no click revenue.
Second, Some ads are informative, or I might be shopping for something.

If the ads on a website are too many or overdone, I block that particular site. Or if I don't like the site , like the New York Times, I will block the ads there too.

Most people who use adblock block all sites, I am more selective, and I do like to support good websites by doing a clickthrough.

If I don't like a site, I just don't visit it.

Ads generally don't bother me. One of the types that do are the ones that try to appear to be a function of the site. (for instance, CNET download site, where all the ads show "Download Now" trying to pull people away from the actual download.)

You missed my point, completely. It IS user controlled, you must make the decision and effort to skip, just as you do now. The default is Auto Hop off. You are doing what the Networks are doing. The end result is the same, getting there is different, but still consumer controlled. Going by your thinking there can be no advancements in technology to accomplish the same thing.

As for ads on websites, very close to that is available now. Adblock hides many, and you can go into browsers and block sites, including where ads come from.

"Adblock Plus will always block annoying ads.Still, many websites rely on advertising revenues so we want to encourage websites to use plain and unobtrusive advertising instead of flashy banners. That's why the Adblock Plus community has establishedstrict guidelines to identify acceptable ads, and Adblock Plus allows these out of the box. You can always disable this feature if you want to block all ads.

And with Adblock Plus like the Hopper the consumer has the option to turn it on or off. And you also like I did with SatelliteGuys, there is the option to turn it off for a single page or the entire site. So the argument that the Hopper is all or nothing in regard is false. We have the final control, not Dish. Dish just gave us the options.

As for Fox and the others, here's a clue for you, I can do basically the same thing the Hopper does with my 612 and 622. Turn on the show, hit pause, walk away for about 10 minutes or more depending on average ad time per show, come back and start watch show and either fast forward or skip when a commercial comes on. And I can do that for any channel Dish provides. And if I had DirectTV I could do the exact same thing I assume. And as Charlie said in the "All Things D" interview, the ads are still there if you want to watch them, Dish does not have the legal right to delete them as Charlie clarified during the interview.

And with regard to Dish everywhere or whatever its called, the entertainment providers need understand that TV entertainment is no longer limited to our TV's. People are watching their entertainment on a wide range of devices. Personally for an example, I watch Netflix and Hulu Plus on the Roku, PC, laptop and now a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet. That is what people want today, entertainment at their time and location.

Last edited:
Fox may have a leg here, not from the copyright direction, but from the contractual direction.

If their contract with Dish prohibits what Dish is doing, copyright is irrelevant.

Fox , NBC, CBS, and ABC should put their money where their mouth is. All they have to do is refuse to let Dish carry any of their content unless it agrees to disable the ad-skip technology. However that may not happen for a couple of years when the carriage contracts expire, so they want the Courts to act more quickly.

Fox may have a leg here, not from the copyright direction, but from the contractual direction.

If their contract with Dish prohibits what Dish is doing, copyright is irrelevant.

If it was in the contracts, they wouldn't have felt the need to sue. They could have just cut Dish off.

So far the indication is that Autohop and Sling use won't be outlawed.

I was going to post something similar. I'm not sure the networks can indiscriminately say that if what is being used is legal. Keep in mind, if found legal, Dish will say why is Dish being targeted, when every other carrier has a legal way to skip commercials, or to turn that around, deny us, deny everyone.

Unless you pick a very entry level package, the difference in cost between D* and E* these days is pretty darned close.

You are right about that! If you are a customer with multiple receivers such as myself, and have the higher tier pacakge, Dish is now a LOT more each month than DirecTV.
I have a HR34 and four HR24 receivers with DirecTV and the Premier pacakge. It costs about $166.99 per month with DirecTV.
Since I have 13 tuners with DirecTV to get close with Dish, I would have to have four Hoppers (I don't know if they will let you have that many) if they did, it would cost me $185.99 each month to get about the same level of programming (AEP) and DVR service with Dish.
This of course has their new $14 fee for extra Hopper's included rather than the $7 fee that they have been charging in the past.
Seems that they are making DirecTV the value leader for a higher end customer now. If you want to call what DirecTV charges "value," both DBS providers are way overpriced, but that is the way of all providers of mulitchannel video these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)