Fox Movie Channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
What happened to Fox Movie Channel? I haven't had it on for quite awhile but last night I did . First of I noticed it's called FX Movie Channel. Though Dish still calls it Fox Movie Channel. Secondly they interrupted the movie with quite a number of commercials.

FX is just another trade mark for Fox which they don't want to use as it is too politically loaded a name. Between the left and haters of Rupert Murdock just a channel with the word Fox in it drives potential viewers away.

Commercials? It's capitalism baby. FX has just sunk to a lower low in the pursuit of bigger profits.

BTW I'm neither condoning or condemning, just explaining.

The Bean Counters have taken over. I believe they still have a non-commercial part early in the day, but suspect that will soon be gone. Turned into another AMC but without any good original programming, Sad.

grizbear said:
The Bean Counters have taken over. I believe they still have a non-commercial part early in the day, but suspect that will soon be gone. Turned into another AMC but without any good original programming, Sad.

Yes, I think the morning hours are partly commercial-free. It is sad that this channel has commercials and is in a high tier such as AT 250 and Dish Latino Dos. Just like AMC, IFC also has commercials (although at least the movies appear uncut for now).

They rebranded their primetime block several months ago. It's still Fox Movie Channel. If only it was in HD
HD? Try TCM. They have begun showing new remastered classics in HD that are GREAT.

I seem to remember back in the day when AMC, Fox and TCM were duking it out for the old movie audience. Clearly TCM has won. AMC gave up and now earns a living on new scripted dramas like Mad Men. And as you pointed out FX isn't HD probably because their source material is only available in old time 480i digital format so broadcasting it in upconverted HD would be jeered at by all the critical eyed HD set owners.

I do watch a lot TCM. FMC I just breeze thru in the guide. It has to be something I really enjoy to watch it picture framed on FMC or to even attempt to put up with commercials. Hence AMC was off my viewing list as soon as the commercials started. I think White Christmas was pushing 3.5 hrs with the commercials on AMC last year.

HD? Try TCM. They have begun showing new remastered classics in HD that are GREAT.

I seem to remember back in the day when AMC, Fox and TCM were duking it out for the old movie audience. Clearly TCM has won. AMC gave up and now earns a living on new scripted dramas like Mad Men. And as you pointed out FX isn't HD probably because their source material is only available in old time 480i digital format so broadcasting it in upconverted HD would be jeered at by all the critical eyed HD set owners.
I don't think TCM is showing any of their movies in HD yet. They may be using new HD masters, but they're being downconverted to SD and then upconverted to HD again. At least in the US. There's an ongoing thread about it on the AVS forum.

I think it is a mix. Some are HD and some are still upconverted. TCM has been converting their library for a couple of years now. I could see the difference on some movies that I had dvr'ed off TCM and some of the movies channels to compare. I don't have them anymore since my original 722 finally gave out a few months ago and the recordings went with it.

Beating a dead horse, but the channel is still Fox Movie Channel. FXM is a branding of the channel between 3pm and 3am that shows recent movies, usually played on FX after their premium channel run. Interesting piece of info, I got the channel back in 1997 when what was then MediaOne updated our channel lineup. Fifteen years ago the channel was known as FXM: Movies from Fox. It was later renamed Fox Movie Channel.

I recorded the first Chipmunks movie the other day(never seen it) from Fox Movie Channel/FX Movies and while it had commercial breaks they weren't very long, more like a Hulu commercial break. I never really watched much of this channel anyways, I usually like my movies unedited and commercial free. (and in HD) Heh, I really don't think I should have publicly admitted to watching the Chipmunks movie.

There is no mix, all are converted..... They look pretty good but not HD.....

Whatever.
I take that back.

Just watched "Murder's Row" on TCM and walking up and looking close, the picture was just as clear as "real HD" movies.

If the technology exists to make an image like this from a 480i recording we're wasting our money with 1080p 60" Panny Plasma TVs or Dish shows crap quality HD... Or TCM is showing HD movies at least part of the time.

And you can take that to the bank.

FX is just another trade mark for Fox which they don't want to use as it is too politically loaded a name. Between the left and haters of Rupert Murdock just a channel with the word Fox in it drives potential viewers away.

What a bunch of mularkey.....

Beating a dead horse, but the channel is still Fox Movie Channel. FXM is a branding of the channel between 3pm and 3am that shows recent movies, usually played on FX after their premium channel run. Interesting piece of info, I got the channel back in 1997 when what was then MediaOne updated our channel lineup. Fifteen years ago the channel was known as FXM: Movies from Fox. It was later renamed Fox Movie Channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)