Fox News Added To Sky Angel!

SkyAngel sued Dish for carrying Christian Channels. Will Dish sue Sky Angel for carrying secular channels? (I.E. Fox News and other channels coming soon which Dish may already carry)

Well

Scott Greczkowski said:
SkyAngel sued Dish for carrying Christian Channels. Will Dish sue Sky Angel for carrying secular channels? (I.E. Fox News and other channels coming soon which Dish may already carry)

Actually I'm pretty sure Sky Angel went through the complete legal process required for BOTH sides to allow this addition.

I dont think Dish added Daystar legally and tried to get around legal loopholes to get it on without sky angel's knowledge.

Though Dish could always sue, because of the procedures likely taken, I think Fox News is on for good.

Doesnt E* control what channels sky angel uplinks? So i have to speculate that E* is not gonna sue.

Well

juan said:
Doesnt E* control what channels sky angel uplinks? So i have to speculate that E* is not gonna sue.

Well from what I understand, the legal workings of Dish and Sky Angel and the needs of each are mutual at this time. When the life of the satellite ends in the next so many years, both will gladly (likely) part ways and move on about their business.

Dish can sue to have something removed, though not likely, but they never will risk just blocking the placing of a channel. They could "technically" remove it if they wish, but then Sky Angel could jerk the transponders that Dish is using for that satellite. Dish would never go about that and would also more or less seal their own fate in a court loss due to illegally blocking a channel without court permission.

Keep in mind, I dont care what most people think. I dont think these two companies hate each other, they simply want what's best for each's own business are right now are tied at the hip in terms of needing each other.

Yo

Yo,

Does anyone know how many Transponders of Sky Angel's that Dish uses?

Maybe that's why Dish bought Voom's stuff from that location so that they dont have to worry about transponders when Sky Angel moves away with bigger dreams.

hmmmm

Iceberg said:
Dish leases two TP's (25 & 32) to Sky Angel

Hmmmm, I thought Sky Angel owned those transponders and let Dish use them in return for use of the satellite.

GodsWay112 said:
Hmmmm, I thought Sky Angel owned those transponders and let Dish use them in return for use of the satellite.

Sky Angel holds the licenses to 8 frequencies at 61.5 (transponders 25-32). In exchange for the use of Echostar's satellite, Sky Angel has allowed (by contract and with FCC approval) Dishnetwork the use of 6 of 8 of their licensed frequencies. Sky Angel uses the other two (transponders 25 & 32).

As far as secular channels, it is a little known fact (received from a reliable source) that this was part of the original contract between Echostar and Dominion. I have never seen the contract but it is my understanding that up to 15 channels were part of the deal.

Jeff

Sky Angel owns the frequencies of EIGHT transponders, in return for their carriage on two transponders of Dish's satellite they allow Dish to use the other six frequencies.

[what the guy above said whilst I was typing this]

One other thing... If somebody wants JUST Fox News without having to sub to Top 180 this would be a cheap way to get it (not considering hardware cost of course).

I notice the SkyAngel version looks a bit more compressed than the E* version, of course because SA has only the two transponders to pack everything into.

Voom owns transponders 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21
Dish owns transponders 2. 4. 6. 8. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and 22
Sky Angel owns transponders 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 & 32
Transponders 23 and 24 are unassigned and due to current FCC ruling, cannot be purchased by Dish or DirecTV. This ruling can change.

Dish leases or uses transponders 1 , 3, 5 and 7 from Voom for the Voom Originals Package.
Dish has the right to use Sky Angel transponders 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31 until the 10 year contract expires (2008) or E*3 blows up...which ever comes first.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Voom owns transponders 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21
Dish owns transponders 2. 4. 6. 8. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and 22
Sky Angel owns transponders 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 & 32
Transponders 23 and 24 are unassigned and due to current FCC ruling, cannot be purchased by Dish or DirecTV. This ruling can change.

Dish leases or uses transponders 1 , 3, 5 and 7 from Voom for the Voom Originals Package.
Dish has the right to use Sky Angel transponders 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31 until the 10 year contract expires (2008) or E*3 blows up...which ever comes first.

See ya
Tony
Maybe SA can get 23 and 24 for their new package?

?

mwgiii said:
What would happen if E wants to move E3 in their satellite shuffle?

"move" it? What do you mean? Are you speaking of physically "moving" the satellite? I dont think they can do that to be honest with you. That is their FCC approved orbital position for that satellite. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Sure they can move the satellite.

Dish has applications or is rumored to move a couple right now. That is why I was wondering if the agreement between E & SA would prohibit Dish from moving E3.

Well

mwgiii said:
Sure they can move the satellite.

Dish has applications or is rumored to move a couple right now. That is why I was wondering if the agreement between E & SA would prohibit Dish from moving E3.

Well aside from technically speaking, legally DN cannot move the satellite. Put it this way.....................even though it's their satellite, they are in a legal contract with Sky Angel and they have to honor it. Should they move that satellite, causing EVERY Sky Angel customer to lose prog., Sky Angel COULD sue them and win MILLIONS in damages. I think Dish will be keeping it right where they are.

Again, Dish can move satellite that it owns and doesnt affect anyone but their customers but they wont move E3. Remember, I dont think there is this feeling of "lets see how mean we can be to Sky Angel". I think both are out to run their businesses the best they can and in their own interest. The only difference and problem is both have VERY differerent interests.

You wont see E3 moving. Also, I dont think the life of the satellite is all that much longer (maybe less than 10 years) and it will be out of use likely after that.

To answer another question "How is SA getting away with offering FNC?":

We have been under the wrong impression on the Dish/SA agreement. I have been informed that Sky Angel is NOT prohibited from carrying secular programming as previously thought. The agreement or settlement with Dish is much more complex than Dish has no more religious programming and SA no secular programming. Though the details have not been revealed, I was told that since Sky Angel subscribers have been clamoring for a for family entertainment center rather than an add-on service, Sky Angel has started adding some highly requested secular programming.

I'm happy to see this though I do not like the duplication in my programming, I see how it is a great win-fall to many SA subs. This is the first secular channel to be added to sky Angel since the distater that was AIN. AIN was made available and removed from Sky Angel in just a few short weeks. I'm not sure if this network still exists. (American Independent Network)

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Why not move E*3?

If E* is able to buy R1 it should be relatively painless for them to transition the Sky Angel programming to R1 and the SA customers would probably not even notice the change over.

They could move E*3, but that would involve negotiating an new deal with Sky Angel. SA has the use of E*3 for 10 years (2008) or the life of the satellite, whichever comes first.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)